The Student Room Group

Surprisingly calorific foods?

A pot of oatley strawberry yoghurt is 400 calories. What are some foods you came across that you were surprised by the amount of calories either a lot more or less.
Reply 1
persimmons
Granola, at least it surprised me when I was much younger that it was in some sense "unhealthy" since I thought of it as being you know, "crunchy granola hippy health food" kind of stuff. With age and experience it makes a lot more sense, since it's basically just grains and nuts that are very high calorie (i.e. high energy output) foods, concentrated into a single "meal" where you would probably eat more of them than if you were snacking on loose grains/nuts or similar (plus with milk added).

Still like it, although I don't eat it that often (although less for that reason and more because it's very uneconomical as cereal options go :tongue: ).
Original post by artful_lounger
Granola, at least it surprised me when I was much younger that it was in some sense "unhealthy" since I thought of it as being you know, "crunchy granola hippy health food" kind of stuff. With age and experience it makes a lot more sense, since it's basically just grains and nuts that are very high calorie (i.e. high energy output) foods, concentrated into a single "meal" where you would probably eat more of them than if you were snacking on loose grains/nuts or similar (plus with milk added).

Still like it, although I don't eat it that often (although less for that reason and more because it's very uneconomical as cereal options go :tongue: ).

I honestly can eat a whole bag of granola in the one go if I let myself-that is why I tend not to buy it too often :smile: it’s sooo good!!
Original post by artful_lounger

Especially the Crunchy Nut version, so tasty but so high in sugar
Original post by GabiAbi84
I honestly can eat a whole bag of granola in the one go if I let myself-that is why I tend not to buy it too often :smile: it’s sooo good!!

I feel called out here... :cry: so true!
Original post by Elizabeth II
I feel called out here... :cry: so true!

There seems to be a lot of granola fans on here :tongue: I personally prefer porridge.
Peanuts shocked me.

Others that are less intense but still surprising are probably things like mango and avocado. Not bad for you, but surprisingly high calorie.

Surprisingly low calorie foods are usually microwave ready meals for me lmao.
Original post by Anonymous1502
There seems to be a lot of granola fans on here :tongue: I personally prefer porridge.

I love porridge! Especially with a little honey or agave nectar :yum:
Original post by Elizabeth II
I love porridge! Especially with a little honey or agave nectar :yum:

Better with a pinch of salt.
Original post by Ne en mia nomo
Better with a pinch of salt.

Many things often are :tongue:
Sushi
For real! So easy to eat a lot of them as well. Crazy. I just avoid them these days where possible.
SEEDS
Cheesecake.

A few years back I went to the US and popped into the Cheesecake Factory for a gander, I kid you not there was a list of Cheesecake slices with between 1000-1500 calories each.

So you get to choose how fast the clot travels to your brain.
Original post by JustOneMoreThing
Cheesecake.

A few years back I went to the US and popped into the Cheesecake Factory for a gander, I kid you not there was a list of Cheesecake slices with between 1000-1500 calories each.

WOW, how big was one slice? Are you sure it wasn't the whole cheesecake, as 1000-1500 calories per slice is outrageous.
Original post by Anonymous1502
WOW, how big was one slice? Are you sure it wasn't the whole cheesecake, as 1000-1500 calories per slice is outrageous.

Nope, one slice, they’re bigger than your average British slice.

To be honest they’re pretty gross once you get your third or fourth bite, the texture just rubs me the wrong way.
Original post by JustOneMoreThing
Cheesecake.

Junior's cheesecake > cheesecake factory. :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest