The Student Room Group

A-levels with 2 GCSE

Currently I’m homeschooled and i’m studing english language and mathematics. After the exams in the summet I wanna start studying for A-levels. Someone told me i can’t apply for A-levels if i don’t have 5GCSEs. Is that true?
Reply 1
It depends on which school/college you choose to do your A-Levels at. Some will want 5 GCSEs, others will want strong grades in the subjects you intend to take at A-Level, some may not ask for anything specific. Almost all will want at least a 5 in English Language and Maths though.
To be honest, I don't think you can go to a sixth form with 2 GCSEs, even I had problems doing my A levels because I needed another A Level at Minimum grade 6 (I got 7776555) and I needed one of the five's to be a six but in the end they let me after weeks of talking to him, maybe you can try calling colleges but I don't think they would either. Even to do a vocational course you'd need 5 GCSE's minimum. Why don't you take some other GCSEs such as Religious Education, English Lit, and something like Sociology so you can have 5?
Reply 3
Just found an online learning college that has no requirements besides english and maths. Thank God i was stressing like crazy :smile:
Original post by Mohamed Idris
To be honest, I don't think you can go to a sixth form with 2 GCSEs, even I had problems doing my A levels because I needed another A Level at Minimum grade 6 (I got 7776555) and I needed one of the five's to be a six but in the end they let me after weeks of talking to him, maybe you can try calling colleges but I don't think they would either. Even to do a vocational course you'd need 5 GCSE's minimum. Why don't you take some other GCSEs such as Religious Education, English Lit, and something like Sociology so you can have 5?
Reply 4
If you're self-studying then there are no specific requirements for GCSEs before you start A level courses although for a lot of subjects you will need the GCSE knowledge to be able to cope with the A level content.
(edited 3 years ago)
Reply 5
Original post by Compost
If you're self-studying then there are no specific requirements for GCSEs before you start A level courses although for a lot fo subjects you will need the GCSE knowledge to be able to cope with the A level content.

Thank you.
Original post by Anelis
Just found an online learning college that has no requirements besides english and maths. Thank God i was stressing like crazy :smile:

Well if it’s online you’re paying for it I’m assuming so yeah. But an actual sixth form or college wouldn’t accept it but if you found an online one that’s great

Hope it all goes well :smile:
An actual college would have a typical offer of 5 GCSEs, but they often aren’t bothered if you have a valid reason for taking less exams. If you have studied the subjects you want to take up to GCSE level, but haven’t taken all the exams for financial reasons, they might accept your maths and English grades as evidence you’re at the right academic level to start A levels.

For example, if you had in 8 in GCSE maths, that would be clear evidence you were at an appropriate level to start A level maths. A high grade in English would be evidence you could start English A level, and probably some other essay subjects too. You would probably struggle to convince them if you wanted to take science subjects without any GCSE science exams though.
What subjects are you thinking of taking at A level?
(edited 3 years ago)
Reply 8
Original post by Dancer2001
An actual college would have a typical offer of 5 GCSEs, but they often aren’t bothered if you have a valid reason for taking less exams. If you have studied the subjects you want to take up to GCSE level, but haven’t taken all the exams for financial reasons, they might accept your maths and English grades as evidence you’re at the right academic level to start A levels.

For example, if you had in 8 in GCSE maths, that would be clear evidence you were at an appropriate level to start A level maths. A high grade in English would be evidence you could start English A level, and probably some other essay subjects too. You would probably struggle to convince them if you wanted to take science subjects without any GCSE science exams though.
What subjects are you thinking of taking at A level?

English, math and psychology.
Original post by Anelis
English, math and psychology.

I would definitely call your local college and talk to them about it. They might not be comfortable letting you take psychology with no evidence you have taken a science subject before, but they might accept a portfolio of work or something. Some are more flexible that others, but if they let you on the course it will save you a lot of money.

Quick Reply

Latest