The Student Room Group

Volunteering at a charity shop?

I'm planning on volunteering at a charity shop to help with my anxiety. I was wondering what it's like? Is it possible to work just at the back than on tills?
Is it possible to work just at the back than on tills?
yes when I volunteered with Shelter Scotland they gave me the choice whenever I came but it did depend on how many other volunteers were present at the same time as you
Original post by sarah.911
I'm planning on volunteering at a charity shop to help with my anxiety. I was wondering what it's like? Is it possible to work just at the back than on tills?

That’s such a nice thing to do. Obviously every charity shop is different but from the ones I worked at, they usually make you do stuff at the back for the first few weeks such as sorting through clothes/donations and pricing things up. When they start “till training” you I’m sure you could just ask to work behind the scenes and in most places, people want to work at the front so they might be happy to have someone who’s willing to work in the back. :smile:
Reply 3
Original post by northener_3006
That’s such a nice thing to do. Obviously every charity shop is different but from the ones I worked at, they usually make you do stuff at the back for the first few weeks such as sorting through clothes/donations and pricing things up. When they start “till training” you I’m sure you could just ask to work behind the scenes and in most places, people want to work at the front so they might be happy to have someone who’s willing to work in the back. :smile:

Thank you! I'm just not ready to be on tills, even phoning up and asking to volunteer has been a big step for me so hoping I can just be at the back :smile: (also because of covid this should be enough) i've been in charity shops where some of the customers don't even wear masks / wash hands before coming in

Do you know what sort of stuff they ask you when you go in? do I need to dress formal?
Reply 4
Original post by stereotypeasian
Is it possible to work just at the back than on tills?
yes when I volunteered with Shelter Scotland they gave me the choice whenever I came but it did depend on how many other volunteers were present at the same time as you

Perfect thank you! :smile:
Original post by sarah.911
Thank you! I'm just not ready to be on tills, even phoning up and asking to volunteer has been a big step for me so hoping I can just be at the back :smile: (also because of covid this should be enough) i've been in charity shops where some of the customers don't even wear masks / wash hands before coming in

Do you know what sort of stuff they ask you when you go in? do I need to dress formal?

Well done! You should be proud! I didn’t dress smart but I didn’t dress sloppy. I wore jeans, a wool jumper and boots. I was just introduced to the people there then I went in the back and was taught how to label up clothes and at another shop I was introduced and then taught how to sort through stuff and did that. I hope it all goes well:smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending