The Student Room Group

Cambridge Application MPhil Finance 2021/2022

Hey! Anybody applying for the Mphil in Finance at Cambridge for next year? What is your background?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Original post by rajanph
Hey! Anybody applying for the Mphil in Finance at Cambridge for next year? What is your background?

Hello there. I submitted my application on 2nd December for MPhil in Finance. What about you?
(edited 3 years ago)
Reply 2
Original post by Mrr1996
Hello there. I submitted my application on 2nd December for MPhil in Finance. What about you?

I submitted 13th Oct! What’s your background?
Reply 3
Original post by rajanph
I submitted 13th Oct! What’s your background?

About my profile:

Undergrad: Bachelor of Business Administration (Major in Finance, CGPA 3.94/4.00), university of Dhaka

MSc Finance from University of Manchester (Distinction-78%)

CFA level 1, GRE: 322 (quant:169), internship at a local securities research firm. Part time Junior Research associate at a consulting firm in Bangladesh (1-year).

LoRs are from my supervisor and department head from Manchester. What about you? Did you submit any research proposal?

My application is currently under review by department. What about you?
(edited 3 years ago)
Reply 4
Original post by Mrr1996
About my profile:

Undergrad: Bachelor of Business Administration (Major in Finance, CGPA 3.94/4.00), university of Dhaka

MSc Finance from University of Manchester (Distinction-78%)

CFA level 1, GRE: 322 (quant:169), internship at a local securities research firm. Part time Junior Research associate at a consulting firm in Bangladesh (1-year).

LoRs are from my supervisor and department head from Manchester. What about you? Did you submit any research proposal?

My application is currently under review by department. What about you?

My profile is:
undergrad: Mathematics with Finance (University of Sussex) - 76% (86% in final year)

study abroad: Finance and Economics (Vienna University of Economics and Business)

best undergraduate mathematics dissertation (option pricing)

internship: Deloitte

LoRs: dissertation supervisor and professor of finance

My application is also currently under review! Good luck and keep us updated :smile:
(edited 3 years ago)
Reply 5
Original post by rajanph
My profile is:
undergrad: Mathematics with Finance (University of Sussex) - 76% (86% in final year)

study abroad: Finance and Economics (Vienna University of Economics and Business)

best undergraduate mathematics dissertation (option pricing)

internship: Deloitte

LoRs: dissertation supervisor and professor of finance

My application is also currently under review! Good luck and keep us updated :smile:

Very strong profile. I am a bit worried as my undergrad lacks quant modules. Best of luck.
Reply 6
Original post by Mrr1996
Very strong profile. I am a bit worried as my undergrad lacks quant modules. Best of luck.

with CFA l1 you should be fine though!
Reply 7
Original post by rajanph
with CFA l1 you should be fine though!

Yeah lets see. Did you submit mini research proposal?
Reply 8
Original post by Mrr1996
Yeah lets see. Did you submit mini research proposal?

I didn't actually, did you?
Reply 9
Original post by rajanph
I didn't actually, did you?

Yeah i did as i plan to continue to phD after MPhil. However, i am not sure whether its gonna backfire as i am not sure about the quality of the proposal.
Reply 10
Hey there! Applying for the 2021 intake. Should submit my app in a few days. I have a CGPA of 3.71/4.00 (a 3.9 is literally unheard of in my course), a GRE score of 332 (Q-170, V-162, AW-5.5), internships at EY and a major Indian IB. Getting one LOR from my dean and the other from my research mentor (research on market efficiency and looking at behavioural metrics to predict asset price movements). I've also got an online news start-up, if that helps.No work experience and I'm not submitting a research proposal. I don't plan on going for a PhD.I'm a bit nervous because my GPA is borderline. Any clue whether they would accept a GPA like mine? I understand that grades alone are a major deciding factor for admission.
Reply 11
Original post by rjt2000
Hey there! Applying for the 2021 intake. Should submit my app in a few days. I have a CGPA of 3.71/4.00 (a 3.9 is literally unheard of in my course), a GRE score of 332 (Q-170, V-162, AW-5.5), internships at EY and a major Indian IB. Getting one LOR from my dean and the other from my research mentor (research on market efficiency and looking at behavioural metrics to predict asset price movements). I've also got an online news start-up, if that helps.No work experience and I'm not submitting a research proposal. I don't plan on going for a PhD.I'm a bit nervous because my GPA is borderline. Any clue whether they would accept a GPA like mine? I understand that grades alone are a major deciding factor for admission.

What’s your undergrad subject?
Reply 12
Original post by Mrr1996
What’s your undergrad subject?

Economics with some basic finance electives (corp fin, risk management, capital markets, international finance)
Reply 13
Original post by rjt2000
Economics with some basic finance electives (corp fin, risk management, capital markets, international finance)

With your GRE score , you should be fine. Which other programs you are planning to apply. Plus cambridge i guess puts emphasis on the reputation of the uni. So say for example if you are from top Indian uni, then CGPA won’t matter.
(edited 3 years ago)
Reply 14
Original post by Mrr1996
With your GRE score , you should be fine. Which other programs you are planning to apply. Plus cambridge i guess puts emphasis on the reputation of the uni. So say for example if you are from top Indian uni, then CGPA won’t matter.

LSE MSc Finance and Economics
Reply 15
Hello everyone. I am also applying to the MPhil in Finance, and to the PhD.
I have an undergraduate degree in Economics at UPF, and an MSc in Economics at the Barcelona Graduate School of Economics (Advanced track). I have around 8 our of 10 for both. It confuses me a bit the "first" requirement at Cambridge, I don't know if an 8 out of 10 is considered a first.... :frown:
I have also worked as a Research Assistant in a Business School. I haven't done the GRE.
To be honest, I consider my chances to be rather slim because of the "first" requirement, unfortunately.
My application is still under review by the department.
Reply 16
Original post by esa14
I have an undergraduate degree in Economics at UPF, and an MSc in Economics at the Barcelona Graduate School of Economics (Advanced track). I have around 8 our of 10 for both. It confuses me a bit the "first" requirement at Cambridge, I don't know if an 8 out of 10 is considered a first.... :frown:
I have also worked as a Research Assistant in a Business School. I haven't done the GRE.
To be honest, I consider my chances to be rather slim because of the "first" requirement, unfortunately.

You don’t need GRE i guess since you are from well known unis. About the grade thing, you can see this:

https://www.oecd.org/careers/young-associate-programme/yap_gpa_guidelines.pdf
Original post by esa14

The university lays out what they consider to be grade equivalences on this page:
https://www.postgraduate.study.cam.ac.uk/international/international-qualifications

"University Minimum Requirement
Título Universitario Official de Graduado en [subject area] (Grado), Título Universitario Oficial de Licenciado en [subject area] (Licenciatura) with an overall grade of 7.5/10; 2.5/4.0.

If the academic requirement of the course is a first:

Título Universitario Official de Graduado en [subject area] (Grado), Título Universitario Oficial de Licenciado en [subject area] (Licenciatura) with an overall grade of 8.5/10; 2.75/4.0."
Reply 18
Thank you both for your replies!. I just hope that Cambridge recognises the idiosyncrasies between Spanish universities. It is certainly not the same an 8 in some unis than in others. I guess I will soon find out :smile:
Reply 19
Any update on application status/outcome guys?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending