The Student Room Group

What Course to DO

Hi was just wondering if anyone could give me advice as to what to apply to do.
I was thinking either International Business at Loughborough or Edinburgh
OR
Business and Law at Edinburgh
What would be more useful for jobs etc? P.S I want to make a lot of money
I think it matters more about how you make the money than anything that just makes money.
I'd say you should go for the degrees at Edinburgh than Loughborough. Don't get me wrong, Loughborough can be a good uni, but Edinburgh will stand out more.

International Business will be OK for entrepreneurship if it teaches the basic skills, but Business and Law will probably be more useful and versatile.
I'm not sure if you strictly need an LLB to go into law, but it's worth checking whether you can do it with a degree in business and law.
(edited 3 years ago)
You should make notes. Use them as a tool to guide your decision making skills.
Reply 3
Original post by MindMax2000
I think it matters more about how you make the money than anything that just makes money.
I'd say you should go for the degrees at Edinburgh than Loughborough. Don't get me wrong, Loughborough can be a good uni, but Edinburgh will stand out more.

International Business will be OK for entrepreneurship if it teaches the basic skills, but Business and Law will probably be more useful and versatile.
I'm not sure if you strictly need an LLB to go into law, but it's worth checking whether you can do it with a degree in business and law.

Thanks so much for your reply. I am looking to go into business more than law, just though law would be useful to do as well and would make me a more desirable employee. I have been advised to go to Loughborough from my school advisor but I agree and think a degree in Business and Law would be better!
Original post by carmen37
Hi was just wondering if anyone could give me advice as to what to apply to do.
I was thinking either International Business at Loughborough or Edinburgh
OR
Business and Law at Edinburgh
What would be more useful for jobs etc? P.S I want to make a lot of money

Posts like this perplex me. No degree is going to make you more money, its what you do with your degree that determines your earnings. Edinburgh and Loughborough are both great unis and neither offers an advantage in terms of earnings potential. Decide what course interests you most, and where you'd rather be for 3 (or 4 years in the case of Edinburgh).
Original post by MindMax2000

It will stand out to someone on TSR like you, the world of employment differs wildly to the opinion of teenagers on a student forum.
Thanks so much for your reply. I am looking to go into business more than law, just though law would be useful to do as well and would make me a more desirable employee. I have been advised to go to Loughborough from my school advisor but I agree and think a degree in Business and Law would be better!

If you are looking to go into business (which is pretty broad as it is, what area of business?), why would you study a qualifying law degree? Unless, of course, you had a passion for law. As stated, neither will make you more 'desirable'. Your performance on either course, work experience, ECs will make you stand out, not the name of your institution. Both unis send lots of students into 'business'. Edinburgh is a beautiful city with lots to do and lots of opportunities. Loughborough is very small, but benefits from its proximity to London. Please visit these places, and look at the courses throughly rather than speculating about what course/institution would be more 'desirable' to employers.
business and law at edinburgh is better
Original post by Jacob31912471
business and law at edinburgh is better

On what basis?
Original post by LMsav
On what basis?

law degree is better
Reply 10
Original post by LMsav
If you are looking to go into business (which is pretty broad as it is, what area of business?), why would you study a qualifying law degree? Unless, of course, you had a passion for law. As stated, neither will make you more 'desirable'. Your performance on either course, work experience, ECs will make you stand out, not the name of your institution. Both unis send lots of students into 'business'. Edinburgh is a beautiful city with lots to do and lots of opportunities. Loughborough is very small, but benefits from its proximity to London. Please visit these places, and look at the courses throughly rather than speculating about what course/institution would be more 'desirable' to employers.

Thanks for your response, I have visited both universities, I have looked into employment rates, average starting salaries etc of each uni and Loughborough does rank higher in both of these. My thought process for business and law was the fact there are many different business legislations etc that links to both courses. The courses are very similar as there is less of a Law aspect and I can choose International Business modules in second year.

I play hockey at an international level and was thinking about doing a masters of business management for a year on a scholarship at the University of Michigan or Duke University. Would this help employment opportunities?
All of its just incredibly stressful trying to decide!
Reply 11
law degree is better

I wouldn't want to do a full law degree as I am more interested in business but still would enjoy learning about law. Just trying to figure out a way to stand out from everyone else who has a broad general business degree.
law degree is better

Wow, great analysis
Thanks for your response, I have visited both universities, I have looked into employment rates, average starting salaries etc of each uni and Loughborough does rank higher in both of these. My thought process for business and law was the fact there are many different business legislations etc that links to both courses. The courses are very similar as there is less of a Law aspect and I can choose International Business modules in second year.

I play hockey at an international level and was thinking about doing a masters of business management for a year on a scholarship at the University of Michigan or Duke University. Would this help employment opportunities?
All of its just incredibly stressful trying to decide!

The statistics and rankings online are all very misleading and don't reveal an awful lot. Let me tell you there really won't be any difference between these two courses in terms of employability. Please just choose the course that you feel you will enjoy studying the most, and the place you can see yourself living in. That really is all that matters.
Reply 14
Original post by LMsav
The statistics and rankings online are all very misleading and don't reveal an awful lot. Let me tell you there really won't be any difference between these two courses in terms of employability. Please just choose the course that you feel you will enjoy studying the most, and the place you can see yourself living in. That really is all that matters.

Good advice, thanks!
Hi @carmen37

@LMsav is talking a lot of sense. Go with the course that interests you the most and you think you will enjoy the most. If you enjoy your course, you'll work harder and get a better grade. Compare the course content and make your decision based on that, along with where you think you'd enjoy living and what else the unis have to offer.

Good luck with your decision :smile:
Vicky

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending