The Student Room Group

Access course

Hi I’m thinking about doing an access course soon can anyone who doing anything science or maths related in their access course show me some assignments and exams that are given during the access course.I would like to get an idea of what I’m getting into and can’t find any examples online unfortunately.I done my alevels and didn’t really get what I was hoping for , any help would be appreciated thanks.
Original post by Sisisi
Hi I’m thinking about doing an access course soon can anyone who doing anything science or maths related in their access course show me some assignments and exams that are given during the access course.I would like to get an idea of what I’m getting into and can’t find any examples online unfortunately.I done my alevels and didn’t really get what I was hoping for , any help would be appreciated thanks.

The reason why you have difficulty finding examples of this is because the exam papers and assignments are written up by the individual tutors and not by a central exam board where they standardise everything. Don't get me wrong, there is a central governing body and there is set specification, but a lot of the teaching and exam papers are up to the discretion of the individual tutors.
In other words, even if I can give you examples it might not be indicative of what the one you're going to do is like.

The way you are tested and marked in an Access course would be very different to what you did for A Levels. For one, Access focuses more on providing evidence to meet certain marking requirements as opposed to tweezing the skills and knowledge out through challenging exam questions.
Two, you get an assessment or exam every 2-3 weeks depending on the modules that you're doing. Three, the assignments and exams are more akin to what you would expect at uni than you would at college.

With the STEM Access courses, you would need to be careful about which ones you pick since you would need sufficient credits in certain subjects in order for the course to be considered for certain degrees. For some unis that do accept Access courses (not all of them do), they don't accept Access courses for specific degrees or you might need to supplement the course with extra A Levels in order to meet entry requirements, depending on what you're lacking in.
As far as I know, you will have a very difficult time getting into medicine, physics, maths, IT, vetinary science, and dentistry with Access courses (you might need specific Access courses from specific colleges for some degrees in medicine, but those are the exceptions). Access courses are generally good for life sciences, and there might be good courses for some degrees in engineering.
Original post by Sisisi

Hi,

Have you thought about doing a foundation year on the uni course of your choice? Like previously said, not all universities accept access courses , and even they do, you aren't guaranteed a place on your chosen course. If you choose to do a foundation year with the degree you would like to complete, as long as you pass the year you will go onto the first year of uni then.

If you let me know what courses/unis you are interested in, I will have a look to see if there are any foundation years available.

-Victoria
Wrexham Uni Rep

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending