The Student Room Group

What a levels to take?

I have had a long ongoing battle with myself have to submit application for a levels this month,had lots of mood swings and have settled on taking engineering maths and law,law jus for that uncertainty,i plan to go into civil engineering,would an engineering a level be sufficient and include physics,also ive done it this way and not gon mainly law with engineering coz i cant go into both then,whereas engineering maths law i can,also will a level maths be really hard and do my head in,whats your opinions on the a levels i decide to take

Scroll to see replies

Maths and Physics should be your minimum, anything else is up to you. You don't need A level engineering or law to study either engineering or law at university.
Reply 2
Original post by Yus745
Instead of physics cant i take engineering as it will include aspects of physics,or do u just recommend taking physics as an a level,also thanks for your prompt response,

Original post by Helloworld_95
Maths and Physics should be your minimum, anything else is up to you. You don't need A level engineering or law to study either engineering or law at university.

So u say whatever i do 100% i shud take maths physics for engineering also wt if then decide to take law,wont taking 2 core subjects like that be really hard
Reply 3

Would they be a good choice as im 50/50 whether i wanna go into law or engineering,law at uni shud work out if i took law,maths a level,and i guess engineering shud work out of i take maths,engineerin(or physics),say i decided later to change a levels and go fully into engineering i cud maybe change that for physics,or fully into law i could change somethin for criminology,
Reply 4
Can someone please also tell me the a level entry requirements for civil engineering degree and law degree at unis such as leeds,manchester surrounding areas?
Original post by Yus745
So u say whatever i do 100% i shud take maths physics for engineering also wt if then decide to take law,wont taking 2 core subjects like that be really hard

Yes, 100% you should do maths and physics because these are the entry requirements for nearly all engineering courses. Swapping physics for engineering will disadvantage you because you won't meet the requirements for many courses. Law doesn't have any specific subject requirements though I think essay based subjects are preferred. If you do Maths, Physics, and Law then that would be a good combination but you could swap out law for another subject without being too disadvantaged.

Taking 2 core subjects isn't a problem, in fact maths and physics are known for complementing each other. There was a saying at my school that taking both would mean you achieve one grade higher in each than if you took just one.
(edited 3 years ago)
Reply 6
Original post by Yus745
I have had a long ongoing battle with myself have to submit application for a levels this month,had lots of mood swings and have settled on taking engineering maths and law,law jus for that uncertainty,i plan to go into civil engineering,would an engineering a level be sufficient and include physics,also ive done it this way and not gon mainly law with engineering coz i cant go into both then,whereas engineering maths law i can,also will a level maths be really hard and do my head in,whats your opinions on the a levels i decide to take

fukkkkkiiinn none of them at all don't bother college is hell do an apprenticeship instead my mates on 400 quid a week
Original post by Yus745

Maths, Further Maths, Physics and English Lit/ History

Further Maths is the 4th option
Reply 8
Original post by WetTap
fukkkkkiiinn none of them at all don't bother college is hell do an apprenticeship instead my mates on 400 quid a week

Not wanting to take that route if im honest
Reply 9
If you want to do any type of Engineering you definitely need Maths, Physics and one other. The one other should be a subject that you feel you would get a good grade in. There is a lot of memorising case studies in law so you need a very good memory. If you can’t hack that then pick another subject.
Reply 10

Wont maths A level be really hard
Reply 11
Original post by royalty1702
Maths, Further Maths, Physics and English Lit/ History

Further Maths is the 4th option

Original post by Yus745

If you want to do an engineering degree then the maths only gets harder.

Maths A-level isn't too hard once you get the hang of it. You need to take maths and physics for engineering and for the top unis further maths is recommended. Do not take an engineering A-level, it won't be useful for your uni application.
The other subject can be anything such as law.
(edited 3 years ago)
Original post by Yus745

Maths and physics ( and maybe further maths but i don't think its necessary unless you want to apply to Oxbridge) is the requirement to study civil eng. - i feel like its better for you not to take engineering as it's not really recognized by top unis and your better of taking respected subjects as eng is a really competitive course.
For law you don't need specific subjects .. you mainly need AAA in any subjects you choose at alevel + work experience.

Maths is tough depending on your skills and ur interest in the subject. If it's something you enjoy it'll be ok for you. Plus I think physics is rlly rlly hard - i dropped it 3 weeks in cus i couldn't handle it so just speak to the teachers and research more on the topics to see if its for you.
Reply 14
Original post by Incede
If you want to do an engineering degree then the maths only gets harder.

Maths A-level isn't too hard once you get the hang of it. You need to take maths and physics for engineering and for the top unis further maths is recommended. Do not take an engineering A-level, it won't be useful for your uni application.
The other subject can be anything such as law.

I do want to go into engineering,with maths and physics but ive heard from loads of people that its really hard,
Original post by Yus745
I do want to go into engineering,with maths and physics but ive heard from loads of people that its really hard,

It might be hard but there's no other choice if you want to go into engineering. But if you work hard enough it's not too difficult.
Reply 16
Original post by vidi2020
Maths and physics ( and maybe further maths but i don't think its necessary unless you want to apply to Oxbridge) is the requirement to study civil eng. - i feel like its better for you not to take engineering as it's not really recognized by top unis and your better of taking respected subjects as eng is a really competitive course.
For law you don't need specific subjects .. you mainly need AAA in any subjects you choose at alevel + work experience.

Maths is tough depending on your skills and ur interest in the subject. If it's something you enjoy it'll be ok for you. Plus I think physics is rlly rlly hard - i dropped it 3 weeks in cus i couldn't handle it so just speak to the teachers and research more on the topics to see if its for you.

Original post by Incede
It might be hard but there's no other choice if you want to go into engineering. But if you work hard enough it's not too difficult.

Yh thats the thing theres literally.no other choice
Reply 17

Dek wt to take,wanted to take physics and maths for engineering as thats literally the only way in,
Original post by Yus745
Dek wt to take,wanted to take physics and maths for engineering as thats literally the only way in,

Someone who wants to do engineering shouldn't feel forced to take maths and physics. I feel as if the engineer may not be your career if you feel forced to take maths and physics. rethink your options and I would say come to a final decision otherwise taking the wrong a levels could ruin everything. What do you genuinely feel like doing in the future?
Reply 19
Someone who wants to do engineering shouldn't feel forced to take maths and physics. I feel as if the engineer may not be your career if you feel forced to take maths and physics. rethink your options and I would say come to a final decision otherwise taking the wrong a levels could ruin everything. What do you genuinely feel like doing in the future?

I wudda sed civil engineering if im honest really have an interest for it,ive also had thoughts of going into law too

Quick Reply

Latest