The Student Room Group

Should I leave my Church?

So I’ve been talking to this guy for a while, known him longer than I’ve been a part of my Church and now I realise that I quite like him. However, my Church says that we can’t date outside of the Church never mind do anything else.
When faced with the reality that this would be choosing worldly men and sin over God, I back down but it’s so difficult sometimes. I feel like I’m compromising my happiness but then what’s a little sadness and disappointment now next to external life with God.
Reply 1
If the thought has crossed your mind to ask on here then yes.
Original post by Anonymous
So I’ve been talking to this guy for a while, known him longer than I’ve been a part of my Church and now I realise that I quite like him. However, my Church says that we can’t date outside of the Church never mind do anything else.
When faced with the reality that this would be choosing worldly men and sin over God, I back down but it’s so difficult sometimes.

Why do you equate what your Church says with what your God says?

The Church sound rather controlling.
It sounds more like a cult.
Reply 4
Which kind of church are you a member of?
Yes I think so
Reply 6
Original post by YaliaV123
It sounds more like a cult.

Par for the course.
Yes, I think so, the church shouldn't constrict what you can do, what you do is between you and God. If you feel that God is with you and calling you to him that's where you should go. Talk to him, away from church, just in your house or outside or something, where you just focus on him. He will tell you what to do because he knows what's best for you.
Does it really have to be an either-or situation?! :dontknow:

Also: that moment when I entirely agree with a post by @RogerOxon , replying to someone about their Christian faith :headfire:

:innocent:
Reply 9
2 Corinthians 6: 14
“Do not try to work together as equals with unbelievers, for it cannot be done. How can right and wrong be partners? How can light and darkness live together?”

Surely this ought to be open to interpretation (you’re not going to seclude yourself from the world)but when talking about one of the most intimate relationships you can form idk.
yh
Reply 11
When you say you can’t date outside of your church do you mean outside of your specific church (the congregation) or outside Christianity?

Dating within Christianity is reasonable I feel, dating only within the congregation is most certainly not
God isn't real. So you can do what you like. :smile:

And yes, obviously you should leave your church.
Reply 13
Original post by Akuma
God isn't real. So you can do what you like. :smile:

And yes, obviously you should leave your church.

You believe that God isn’t real, but you don’t get the authority to dictate what others believe sorry
Original post by pink00
You believe that God isn’t real, but you don’t get the authority to dictate what others believe sorry

That's true. People are free to believe what they wish. However their doing that doesn't alter objective reality.
Reply 15
Original post by Akuma
That's true. People are free to believe what they wish. However their doing that doesn't alter objective reality.

But it isn’t objective reality, it’s subjective reality
Original post by pink00
But it isn’t objective reality, it’s subjective reality

I see..

Here's the definition of "reality".

the actual state of things, or the facts involved in such a state

and here's the definition of "subjective"

influenced by or based on personal beliefs or feelings, rather than based on facts

From here: https://dictionary.cambridge.org
(edited 3 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending