The Student Room Group

IB HL (Chemistry vs. Physics)

Hi everyone...

I have to submit my options form soon (in less than a month), and I am still struggling to choose between IB HL Chemistry and Physics.

I have checked University course requirements for Biochemical Engineering and Chemical Engineering and they generally require Chem HL over Phy HL, like Chem HL is compulsory and Phy HL is just subsidiary or recommended.

Also, I have heard the IB Chemistry HL is more of rote learning and a matter of practising and practising, and that physics is more of application. And I am generally better at memorising...

Are both of them really hard? I like both, but I'm only choosing one for HL, since I already have Maths and Economics at HL. And I'm considering doing Biochemical or chemical engineering at competitive universities. (I have researched about their requirements and have mentioned them above).

I have done all three sciences at GCSE level and have predicted grades of 9/A* for all of them.

Which one should I choose...?

Thank you SO much, in advance, for your help :smile:

Have a great day!!
(edited 3 years ago)
Personally I may be a bit biased towards chemistry because it's one of my a-level choices however if chemistry is compulsory for the uni course you want to take up, thats the path I recommend you take. I do believe many people think (correct me if I'm wrong) that the jump from GCSE to IB chemistry is slightly larger than of that to IB physics, but if you enjoy it and work hard you'll be fine.
Original post by kris10
Hi everyone...

I have to submit my options form soon (in less than a month), and I am still struggling to choose between IB HL Chemistry and Physics.

I have checked University course requirements for Biochemical Engineering and Chemical Engineering and they generally require Chem HL over Phy HL, like Chem HL is compulsory and Phy HL is just subsidiary or recommended.

Also, I have heard the IB Chemistry HL is more of rote learning and a matter of practising and practising, and that physics is more of application. And I am generally better at memorising...

Are both of them really hard? I like both, but I'm only choosing one for HL, since I already have Maths and Economics at HL. And I'm considering doing Biochemical or chemical engineering at competitive universities. (I have researched about their requirements and have mentioned them above).

I have done all three sciences at GCSE level and have predicted grades of 9/A* for all of them.

Which one should I choose...?

Thank you SO much, in advance, for your help :smile:

Have a great day!!

definitely Chemistry if that's what is required to study the course you want to study, I would, however, say that taking both Chemistry and Physics could be beneficial for engineering (Physics would be beneficial for engineering of whatever kind), is this a possibility? to take both at HL and Economics at SL?
I know it's hard, but I know people who did this combo and managed to get good grades, so if you're good at all those subjects, it could be a possibility

as for Chemistry which is one of my HL subjects, I don't think it's very hard, you can definitely understand the content by studying from different resources and then just do practice questions and you'll be fine, the content itself isn't that hard in my opinion and I was never great at Chem haha

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending