The Student Room Group

IB SL Philosophy or Economics

I have to submit my final IB subject choices to my sixth form on Friday. I need advice from current/past IB students about my last subject- I can't decide if I should take SL Philosophy or Economics for my humanities subject.

I know I can swap over subjects in the first week of sixth form, but that would be a whole process, and as a new pupil, I want to cause as little trouble as possible lol, so I like to be as sure of my subject decisions as possible before I submit them.

My other five subjects are:
Maths AA HL
Physics HL
Chemistry HL
French B SL
Literature SL
(Econ/Phil SL)

I want to study Physics and Philosophy or plain Physics at Uni. So, it sounds logical to do Philosophy. However, I am equally interested in economics as a subject, and economics is invariably more practical and relevant to my daily life. I haven't done economics in IGCSE, but from what I've read/heard about, it comes naturally, probably from the topics I have encountered in debate tournaments. According to some of my friends who take economics at HL, it is boring at SL. Is that true?

I am also passionate about Philosophy and love its intersection with Quantum Mechanics. I have read QM/Philosophy books by Brain Green in my free time. Stephen Hawking, Roger Penrose, etc. and doing something related to linking Physics and Philosophy in the future appeals to me.

Philosophy is not usually offered in most Sixth forms, so I want to take the rare opportunity. Still, my school only teaches Philosophy of Religion and not some other IB Phil modules like aesthetics, philosophy of science, etc., which I would rather do than religion.

I have also heard that it is easier to get a 7 in Philosophy SL than in Economics SL, which sounds a little like a myth because I think it comes down to each person's abilities.

I would appreciate any help I can get. Thanks :smile:
I think "economics is more practical and relevant to...daily life" is a bit of a false assumption. Only the very most general, overarching concepts are going to be of much applicability to every day life and the actual calculations are going to be irrelevant. And honestly - it's not hard to just do some reading around the topic if you want to learn about it "for everyday life" purposes.

You're demonstrably interested in philosophy as you've actually taken time to read around some areas (although I'm not sure if Stephen Hawking or Roger Penrose would be considered philosophers, of physics or otherwise...?) and you are considering studying it further. So just stick with your interests.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending