The Student Room Group

Psychology A level question

Evaluate the role of the central nervous system and neurotransmitters in explaining human behaviour [8 marks]

I'm struggling to answer it and it's due tomorrow, can someone tell me what I need to include in my answer
Are you doing edexcel or aqa?
Reply 2
Original post by sumzie2003
Are you doing edexcel or aqa?

I don't even know that, it doesn't say anywhere on our school system
Because aqa and Edexcel cover different content. But you would probably say things like neurotransmitters such as adrenaline cause flight or fight response which can explain aggression as well as dual hormone theory where low levels of cortisol induce aggression. Or high serotonin levels induce happiness. But tbh I don't know if that's the kind of stuff you need to know.
Reply 4
You might wanna talk about the branches of the nervous system specifically the sympathetic and the flight or fight response. Give details about the CNS and the PNS. For neurotransmitters five examples such as dopamine and serotonin, talk about how they’re from synapses and therefore neurons. You may also wanna mention their role is illnesses such as schizophrenia and the dopamine hypothesis for example.

I do AQA so this may not be any help, I’m sorry if it isn’t ! Worst case scenario have you tried google?
Reply 5
Because aqa and Edexcel cover different content. But you would probably say things like neurotransmitters such as adrenaline cause flight or fight response which can explain aggression as well as dual hormone theory where low levels of cortisol induce aggression. Or high serotonin levels induce happiness. But tbh I don't know if that's the kind of stuff you need to know.

If I told you the classic and contemporary studies that my booklet has would that help you figure out whether I do AQA or Edexcel?
Reply 6
Original post by ikp
If I told you the classic and contemporary studies that my booklet has would that help you figure out whether I do AQA or Edexcel?

Yes absolutely, from the sounds of it I would assume it is Edexcel, what does the front of your text book look like?
Reply 7
Original post by L_lulu4
You might wanna talk about the branches of the nervous system specifically the sympathetic and the flight or fight response. Give details about the CNS and the PNS. For neurotransmitters five examples such as dopamine and serotonin, talk about how they’re from synapses and therefore neurons. You may also wanna mention their role is illnesses such as schizophrenia and the dopamine hypothesis for example.

I do AQA so this may not be any help, I’m sorry if it isn’t ! Worst case scenario have you tried google?

This was helpful, thank you. I have tried googling it but nothing has come up about it.
Reply 8
Original post by ikp
This was helpful, thank you. I have tried googling it but nothing has come up about it.

Have you tried past papers or asking someone in your class?
Reply 9
Original post by L_lulu4
Yes absolutely, from the sounds of it I would assume it is Edexcel, what does the front of your text book look like?

We don't have a textbook because our school don't recommend them for some reason but the class study is Reine et al 1997: Brain abnormalities in murderers indicated by positron emission tomography and the contemporary study is Li et al 2013: Abnormal function of the posterior cingulate cortex in heroin-addicted users during resting-state and drug-cue stimulation
Reply 10
Original post by L_lulu4
Have you tried past papers or asking someone in your class?

I've looked for past papers and I can't find anything relating to it so far and I don't really trust anyone in my class to help me
Original post by ikp
We don't have a textbook because our school don't recommend them for some reason but the class study is Reine et al 1997: Brain abnormalities in murderers indicated by positron emission tomography and the contemporary study is Li et al 2013: Abnormal function of the posterior cingulate cortex in heroin-addicted users during resting-state and drug-cue stimulation

Ohhhh then yh your doing edexcel like me. I recommend the book published by illuminate publishing which covers all the content you need to know.
Reply 12
Ohhhh then yh your doing edexcel like me. I recommend the book published by illuminate publishing which covers all the content you need to know.

Aw thank you, that's really helpful.
Reply 13
Original post by ikp

Ok I do AQA and I don’t know these studies therefore I would assume you do edexcel. However, as your question is to evaluate nervous system and neurotransmitters I would recommend using general ones such as reliability, generalisability or research methods (such as a quasi experiment)
Reply 14
Original post by L_lulu4
Ok I do AQA and I don’t know these studies therefore I would assume you do edexcel. However, as your question is to evaluate nervous system and neurotransmitters I would recommend using general ones such as reliability, generalisability or research methods (such as a quasi experiment)

Okay, thank you, hopefully I can get this done by tomorrow morning x
Reply 15
Original post by ikp
Okay, thank you, hopefully I can get this done by tomorrow morning x

You’ll do amazing !
Reply 16
Original post by L_lulu4
You’ll do amazing !

aww thank you, I'll let you know if I failed or not when I get the results lmao
Hello

Let us start with providing a rather short definition of the central nervous system. Then build on that for your first two paragraphs. Your very first paragraph can actually act as a brief intro for your coursework essay in question wholly.
Make sure to give the name of the topic too here. Describe the whole role of the central nervous system completely as well so that the reader really understands you. Be very sure to also refer back to your existing class notes as another source of fodder in order to fully complete your coursework task.
The next paragraph of your typed up essay needs to be completely concise and then offer up reasonably sounding explanations for starters. Use the information online to help you and also see if your family and friends can assist you. There are various active student led groups on Facebook that may be a relevant source of high quality information and support for university pupils of all ages and abilities do have a look.
Remember to type up your essay only in black font and also make sure to have a list of sources that were used to gather more information right at the bottom of your coursework essay. Your last and final paragraph can even serve as a sort of quickly written up conclusion after all. Sum up your unique perspectives in question and again simply state your own original opinion too. Same applies to any type of research methods etc.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending