The Student Room Group

Note taking at A level?

Does anyone have any recommendations for note taking at A level - I can’t summarise notes and I just feel so fed up every lesson because I write way too much. Not to mention I also have quizlet so I spend so many hours just writing/typing notes. Someone said to me just write stuff you know you would use in an exam - if you don’t then just don’t write it down. Do you think that’s a good piece of information to use? Thank you :smile:
Original post by lilycgbcd
Does anyone have any recommendations for note taking at A level - I can’t summarise notes and I just feel so fed up every lesson because I write way too much. Not to mention I also have quizlet so I spend so many hours just writing/typing notes. Someone said to me just write stuff you know you would use in an exam - if you don’t then just don’t write it down. Do you think that’s a good piece of information to use? Thank you :smile:

What subjects do you do?
Thread moved to A level forum, hopefully this helps give you some more answers. :smile:

This is what I do, hopefully it will help you too.

I use Notion app to take notes and this app called Flow to stay focused. I also remove all the distractions include music and phone. Trust me you're more productive without it. Regarding the note taking, I read the part of the chapter and close my notebook and write the most important stuff into document. I don't focus being very specific and detailed as not all information staying in your brain for long term, therefore I keep it as short as possible. So when I go back to it I can recall my memory and remember the details. I also suggest you to watch Martyn Lobdell lecture on studying, you can find it on Youtube.

Hope this helps.
Reply 4
Original post by linabhari
What subjects do you do?

I do Psychology, Sociology and Health and Social Care😊
Reply 5
Original post by fish finger fan
Thread moved to A level forum, hopefully this helps give you some more answers. :smile:

Ahh thank you! 🙈
Original post by Yes_sir_skiii
This is what I do, hopefully it will help you too.

I use Notion app to take notes and this app called Flow to stay focused. I also remove all the distractions include music and phone. Trust me you're more productive without it. Regarding the note taking, I read the part of the chapter and close my notebook and write the most important stuff into document. I don't focus being very specific and detailed as not all information staying in your brain for long term, therefore I keep it as short as possible. So when I go back to it I can recall my memory and remember the details. I also suggest you to watch Martyn Lobdell lecture on studying, you can find it on Youtube.

Hope this helps.

Thank you so much! 😌
Make rough notes in the lesson then make condensed notes from those at home. It isn’t the best revision form but with no distractions you can learn from them a little. Use the Cornell method- you can find this online but it basically involves splitting your page in 3- 1 section is key words and points, the 2nd section is the main notes and the 3rd section is a summary of the page.
Reply 7
Original post by linedpaper
Make rough notes in the lesson then make condensed notes from those at home. It isn’t the best revision form but with no distractions you can learn from them a little. Use the Cornell method- you can find this online but it basically involves splitting your page in 3- 1 section is key words and points, the 2nd section is the main notes and the 3rd section is a summary of the page.

Thank you! It’s not actually revision notes I’m struggling with - it’s just knowing overall which information is relevant! I’m kind of a worrier with notes because I worry that if I don’t write it down It might be necessary and I don’t know 🙈
I do Psychology, Sociology and Health and Social Care😊

So, I do Chem bio and English lit but I’m hopin my methods can still help.

- make flash cards but the point of flash cards is to have it condensed af not copied. Use little diagrams, key signs, pictures, mathematical symbols for “therefore” and “because” , you can use a plus sign “+” instead of saying “and” make it really interactive but then again don’t spend hours trying to think of a symbol for everything.

- I’ve heard that psychology and sociology do case studies so maybe make a poster for each case study.

- colour coordinate, e.g. theories in pink, case studies in green, etc etc

- you do essay subjects which I’m assuming will and can get overwhelming, so revisit an old topic at the end of every week. And it should be fairly easy if your notes are condensed and summaries well and you won’t have 20 pages of content to read over.

- use flow charts, diagrams, tables etc to ORGANISE information such as comparing information.

- HOWEVER, you can always experiment with other methods: you can do powerpoints and then pretend you’re teaching someone (or pet or stuffed animals). It’s acc proven that when u teach someone information (doesn’t acc have to be a person but it’s good if it is) you’re likely to remember it. I’m acc curious to try our power point so if I do I’ll let you know.

Hope this helps
Original post by linedpaper

I agree

Quick Reply

Latest