The Student Room Group

Making notes at uni

So I took all my notes by hand for A-levels and I’m starting uni this September (having taken a gap year) and I don’t know whether I should start taking notes on a laptop or keep doing it on paper……it goes into my memory better by hand but I’ve heard that lectures etc go too fast to hand write notes……any advice?
Original post by Bekahthegap
So I took all my notes by hand for A-levels and I’m starting uni this September (having taken a gap year) and I don’t know whether I should start taking notes on a laptop or keep doing it on paper……it goes into my memory better by hand but I’ve heard that lectures etc go too fast to hand write notes……any advice?
Hey there 😀

I completely understand your experience, as I also used to take handwritten notes for better comprehension and retention of the material. Indeed, lectures can sometimes move quickly, making it challenging to keep up. I have two techniques that might prove helpful, and I encourage you to give them a try to see which one works best for you.

Firstly, if your lecturers provide PowerPoints before classes, consider printing or preparing handwritten notes based on them before the lecture. During the class, you can then fill in these notes with additional information or explanations provided by the lecturer. This method is excellent for staying on track without the pressure of trying to write down everything.

Alternatively, you could opt to use a laptop during the lecture, opening the PowerPoint and filling in the notes section as the lecturer speaks. After class, you can transfer these into handwritten notes in your own time.

While these methods may seem somewhat time-consuming, they are highly effective for comprehending and encoding knowledge successfully. Additionally, university schedules typically entail only around 10-15 hours of learning per week, including practical classes where note-taking may not be necessary or is easier to maintain. In my experience, I have found these techniques to be successful, allowing me to balance academic work with part-time employment and social activities without difficulty.

I hope it was helpful 💪 Feel free to reach out if you have any questions 😉 You can also chat with me or other students directly through The Ambassador Platform.

Take care,

Julia
Psychology student
De Montfort University
Reply 2
Original post by De Montfort University
Hey there 😀

I completely understand your experience, as I also used to take handwritten notes for better comprehension and retention of the material. Indeed, lectures can sometimes move quickly, making it challenging to keep up. I have two techniques that might prove helpful, and I encourage you to give them a try to see which one works best for you.

Firstly, if your lecturers provide PowerPoints before classes, consider printing or preparing handwritten notes based on them before the lecture. During the class, you can then fill in these notes with additional information or explanations provided by the lecturer. This method is excellent for staying on track without the pressure of trying to write down everything.

Alternatively, you could opt to use a laptop during the lecture, opening the PowerPoint and filling in the notes section as the lecturer speaks. After class, you can transfer these into handwritten notes in your own time.

While these methods may seem somewhat time-consuming, they are highly effective for comprehending and encoding knowledge successfully. Additionally, university schedules typically entail only around 10-15 hours of learning per week, including practical classes where note-taking may not be necessary or is easier to maintain. In my experience, I have found these techniques to be successful, allowing me to balance academic work with part-time employment and social activities without difficulty.

I hope it was helpful 💪 Feel free to reach out if you have any questions 😉 You can also chat with me or other students directly through The Ambassador Platform.

Take care,

Julia
Psychology student
De Montfort University

That’s really helpful, thank you!! The first method sounds like it would really benefit me so I’ll try that when I go to uni!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending