The Student Room Group

Which is harder A level

Guys I’m thinking taking either history or business...which one should I take... my other subs are economics and law and I need a preferred subject aswell.Is history very hard or business?Length doesn’t matter because law is also very lengthy so I don’t care about lengthy answers.
I think they're roughly the same, although I did Business at A Level, and economics as a degree,

I have no experience of doing either history or law, so I can't say specifically. However, I am confident that if you put me in a law lesson, I would be either heading for the hills or dropping it like a brick. The main point here is the harder one should be the one you enjoy the least, and the one that fits with your style of thinking the least.

I could do economics and get straight As, but if you put me in a lesson in law I'd probably get straight Us.

Whilst it's not impossible for you to turn things around mid-year and get As instead of Us (plenty have done it before), it's going to be a long winded and tiring trip.
I also take it that you have decided on your university course or the type of job you want to go into, as these choices can affect which A Level you take on, irrespective of how hard they can be.
Reply 2
There are some courses at some universities where they frown on people taking both Economics and Business, so I'd take History to keep your options more open.
Original post by Ahad67767
Guys I’m thinking taking either history or business...which one should I take... my other subs are economics and law and I need a preferred subject aswell.Is history very hard or business?Length doesn’t matter because law is also very lengthy so I don’t care about lengthy answers.

What are you wanting to do at uni?
Original post by Compost
There are some courses at some universities where they frown on people taking both Economics and Business, so I'd take History to keep your options more open.

Yes I’ve heard the same thing. Most places only let you take one not both of them. Do history.
Reply 5
Original post by Emma:-)
What are you wanting to do at uni?

Anything else than medical or engineering cox don’t have subjects for those.Liberal arts,finance,economics etc
Anything else than medical or engineering cox don’t have subjects for those.Liberal arts,finance,economics etc

Certain economics and finance degrees will require you to have studied A Level Maths. Some require you to have studied further maths because of how quantitiative the degrees are. Have you checked up on the specific degree you want? You are more likely to find a BA in economics that don't specifically ask for an A Level in maths than a BSc.
Reply 7
Original post by MindMax2000
Certain economics and finance degrees will require you to have studied A Level Maths. Some require you to have studied further maths because of how quantitiative the degrees are. Have you checked up on the specific degree you want? You are more likely to find a BA in economics that don't specifically ask for an A Level in maths than a BSc.

Yes i have but masters in economics don’t require a Alevel maths so I can do bachelors in liberal arts and then MA in eco
Yes i have but masters in economics don’t require a Alevel maths so I can do bachelors in liberal arts and then MA in eco

out of history and business, which one do you like the most
I don’t take either so this is purely from observation, but at my school the business classes tended to be more “mixed ability” than the history classes, which seem to have more of the top students in. Based on that, and taking them both at GCSE, I’d say history is much harder.

However, as I’m pretty sure someone else already said, some universities may not accept business and economics as separate A-Levels, so I’d be wary of taking both.
Unless you're going to apply to Oxbridge, LSE etc, doing both A level Business and A level Economics would be fine in my opinion.

I'd check the unis websites to see if they specify any subjects in particular. Otherwise go for the one you think you will enjoy the most and get the best grade in.
History being a core subject is considered to be harder that Business. Economics in turn, is considered harder than Business and Law. Can't say much about History vs Econ tho. I took Economics on AS and found it manageable as long as you read and practice enough. I'm sure every other subject on your list fall under that description.

Which subject is going to be harder is a matter of your past experiences and interests. Many people have told me that Maths and Further Maths are incredibly hard. I found them incredibly easy, spending less than 2 hours studying both daily during my A2.

Check the syllabus, understand which one of the subjects captivates you more and which one you are more willing to study for 2 years and consider you have your question answered.
Reply 13
Original post by hootdoot04
out of history and business, which one do you like the most

I’m read to do any one them...I’m sure if I do business I’ll get a very good grade but for history then I don’t really know but still I’ve gotten As in both in gcse

Quick Reply

Latest