The Student Room Group

A level advice

Hi, so i just wanted to know whether i should take core maths alongside a level geography, biology and economics. I am predicted a 6 in maths bcs i didnt put any effort it in so now i find maths a bit hard. What do russell group universities think about it? Is it worth it?
What alevels did you do and were they interesting? Any tips for yr 12 and yr 13?
I am in yr 11 rn.
im in year 11 too and i chose sociology, business and btec media. Good luck!
Original post by username54
im in year 11 too and i chose sociology, business and btec media. Good luck!

good luck to you!
A Level maths is great and fairly versatile, but what do you want to do after A Levels? Will it be relevant to your future studies or work?

I did A Level maths, further maths, physics and BTEC information systems. Loved them especially maths, but I enjoy maths anyway as you can tell! The maths course was great, with a 6 in GCSE maths it may be trickier but with work you can do great!
Reply 4
Original post by Studenthelp12
Hi, so i just wanted to know whether i should take core maths alongside a level geography, biology and economics. I am predicted a 6 in maths bcs i didnt put any effort it in so now i find maths a bit hard. What do russell group universities think about it? Is it worth it?
What alevels did you do and were they interesting? Any tips for yr 12 and yr 13?
I am in yr 11 rn.

What do u want to do at uni? If you want to study economics at uni, i recommend taking maths. I barely got a 7 in maths in GCSEs as like you I didn’t put any effort it, so yr 12 was a bit hard for me, but I’ve started to put some work in and I’m getting the results I want. In yr 12, literally have as much fun as possible because yr 13 is not itt. But make sure you also take some time to revise consistently! I didn’t revise at all in yr 12 and that had a huge impact on my predictions and I regretted itt. Make flashcards as you go alonggg, which u can also use later in yr 13!!
Reply 5
Original post by Studenthelp12
I am in yr 11 rn.

Would you find the BBC Bitesize GCSE Maths useful?

https://www.bbc.co.uk/bitesize/subjects/z38pycw

What would you like to study at University?
Original post by ProperLad
A Level maths is great and fairly versatile, but what do you want to do after A Levels? Will it be relevant to your future studies or work?

I did A Level maths, further maths, physics and BTEC information systems. Loved them especially maths, but I enjoy maths anyway as you can tell! The maths course was great, with a 6 in GCSE maths it may be trickier but with work you can do great!

But tbh i think for me maths will be very difficult bcs ive heard aboutb it being ver demanding
Original post by nothrsa
What do u want to do at uni? If you want to study economics at uni, i recommend taking maths. I barely got a 7 in maths in GCSEs as like you I didn’t put any effort it, so yr 12 was a bit hard for me, but I’ve started to put some work in and I’m getting the results I want. In yr 12, literally have as much fun as possible because yr 13 is not itt. But make sure you also take some time to revise consistently! I didn’t revise at all in yr 12 and that had a huge impact on my predictions and I regretted itt. Make flashcards as you go alonggg, which u can also use later in yr 13!!

Original post by Kerzen
Would you find the BBC Bitesize GCSE Maths useful?

https://www.bbc.co.uk/bitesize/subjects/z38pycw

What would you like to study at University?

so im not sure atm but i was thinking about neuroscience. however idk much about the job prospects, the course itself.
Definitely don't do Maths if you're not interested in it. Absolutely no point.
I'd recommend looking into the courses you want to apply for. Obviously if you don't have any interest in maths and struggle a lot with it then the A Level may not be the right choice, but equally if you have any idea of what you want to do at university then it may be a necessary evil. Many universities for neuroscience, for example Cardiff or Lancashire, only require biology or chemistry alongside overall grade or UCAS points requirements. Bristol however requires maths. So it's worth doing a little research into what will be most useful.

If you don't know what you're aiming for yet, though, maths as a fourth A Level will be a significant amount more work and it may not be a good idea to do it anyway with no interest in it.
Check the courses you are thinking of on unis websites to see if they specify any particular subjects before making any final decisions.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending