The Student Room Group

Big news, I have been offered a place at 2 universities to study Computer Science!

Hi guys,

So I recently sent off my UCAS application complete with 5 options. With 3 of them being for a Computer Science degree, and the other 2 being for a Computer Networks degree. 2 out of the 5 universities have already said yes, leaving just 3 to go - we can but hope.

I just have a couple questions that have really been getting to me.
Is being proficient in programming and HTML imperative? I'm really scared that I'm going to be thrown in at the deep end and what I don't want to happen is for them to expect me to know how to do it. Will I be taught, even just a bit?
(edited 3 years ago)
Original post by UnchartedDude18
Hi guys,

So I recently sent off my UCAS application complete with 5 options. With 3 of them being for a Computer Science degree, and the other 2 being for a Computer Networks degree. 2 out of the 5 universities have already said yes, leaving just 3 to go - we can but hope.

I just have a couple questions that have really been getting me.
Is being proficient in programming and HTML imperative? I'm really scared that I'm going to be thrown in at the deep end and what I don't want to happen is for them to except me to know how to do it. Will I be taught, even just a bit?

Hey, I’m applying for computer sci too snd ivegot 3 offers so far, plus a rejection from oxford!

You don’t need any prior knowledge of programming as all the courses are taught from the ground up. I have a little experience, but I’m more into maths atm but it doesn’t matter as we’ll get taught it anyway!

Where are you applying to?
Original post by jduxie4414
Hey, I’m applying for computer sci too snd ivegot 3 offers so far, plus a rejection from oxford!

You don’t need any prior knowledge of programming as all the courses are taught from the ground up. I have a little experience, but I’m more into maths atm but it doesn’t matter as we’ll get taught it anyway!

Thank goodness, that makes me feel so much better! I applied for Lincoln which is my first choice and they've said yes which I just think is amazing.

I'm sorry to hear that Oxford rejected you, I'm sure you'll get what you need out of a degree at another university. It could be much worse, that's just the way I look at it. Best of luck for university my friend, we all need it what with the pandemic

that's why you got rejected lol
Original post by dew1223345
if you don't know HTML they will kick you off the course, you must email them telling them this fact (all 5 unis, including the ones you have, offers too)

I know enough HTML to get by, but I'd hardly say that I'm proficient in it.
Reply 5

Don't listen to them OP, they're a troll. I have 2 offers for Computer Science at Southampton and Warwick and I only have a GCSE in Computer Science. Computer science is a degree that's taught from scratch, they assume you know nothing before sitting in the first lecture.

Congratulations on your offers and all the best for the future!
(edited 3 years ago)
Original post by hajima
Don't listen to them OP, they're a troll. I have 2 offers for Computer Science at Southampton and Warwick and I only have a GCSE in Computer Science. Computer science is a degree that's taught from the ground up, they assume you know nothing before sitting in the first lecture.

Thanks for reassuring me! I am going to give it my best shot, I'm going to keep my head held high and try So. Damn. Hard!! Even if I one day feel like I want to give up on it all I'm not going to, not ever. I want this more than ever.

I have been getting distinction stars ever since level 2, I'm projected for the same grade at the end of this year too. I'm going to keep practicing JS, CSS and HTML in my own time to get better at it. I'm not about to just go and throw it all away after all that work.

I'm getting to grips with all aspects of computers now, drivers, networking, operating systems, file formats, graphic development, online applications, encryption, CPU architecture and the list goes on. I didn't just sit on my arse to get those grades. I write assignments properly and include lots of detail,complete with fantastic grammar and good use of words.

I wish you all the luck in the world :smile:
(edited 3 years ago)
Original post by dew1223345
that's why you got rejected lol

Actually, I got rejected because some stuff happened to me during the interview period which made me perform not as well as I liked, and because of last year only 4.5% got accepted instead of 7% which made it so much more harder. I’ve still got offers from Durham Warwick and Birmingham which are great Unis.

And to quote the oxford computer science website: “To be a successful Computer Science student, you will need a curiosity about how things work, and the ability to use mathematics to solve problems creatively. Our course starts with the fundamentals of computers and programming, so it is not necessary to have studied these subjects before coming to Oxford.”

All the other university’s say the same thing. I’m also doing 4 a levels, as well as self teaching AS comp sci on top as well as doing an EPQ all with 4A* grades predicted, plus an A for the AS and A* for EPQ so don’t joke about me getting rejected.

They’re definitely a troll, HTML isn’t even a programming language 😂 if someone writes in their personal statement that they’re good at programming in HTML the admissions tutors cry inside. Obviously an understanding of HTML and how the web works is good just that’s not all of what CS is about. Again like I said earlier, all the degrees are taught from the ground up assuming no prior knowledge:smile:

As above that user is a troll.

In any case, CS degrees usually do not presuppose any prior knowledge of the subject or of programming. The only ones that do assume any prior knowledge are the ones that specifically require A-level CS, which are quite uncommon. Normally all programming is taught from scratch. Note that a degree in CS isn't just a degree in programming though, and that's only one part of the degree, so it's even less essential to have background in that beforehand. Having quantitative/mathematical problem solving skills are usually more important for CS degrees because they usually require you to think in that way often, even if you aren't directly doing maths problems.
Original post by artful_lounger
As above that user is a troll.

In any case, CS degrees usually do not presuppose any prior knowledge of the subject or of programming. The only ones that do assume any prior knowledge are the ones that specifically require A-level CS, which are quite uncommon. Normally all programming is taught from scratch. Note that a degree in CS isn't just a degree in programming though, and that's only one part of the degree, so it's even less essential to have background in that beforehand. Having quantitative/mathematical problem solving skills are usually more important for CS degrees because they usually require you to think in that way often, even if you aren't directly doing maths problems.

Thank you for further reassuring me haha.
I have a 5 in maths so hopefully that should be sufficient, I am good at problem solving in general day to day life and am a logical thinker most of the time.

I'll just have to see what happens. There's no use worrying about it yet, I need to concentrate on finishing college first xD
They’re definitely a troll, HTML isn’t even a programming language 😂 if someone writes in their personal statement that they’re good at programming in HTML the admissions tutors cry inside. Obviously an understanding of HTML and how the web works is good just that’s not all of what CS is about. Again like I said earlier, all the degrees are taught from the ground up assuming no prior knowledge:smile:

Exactly, it's a markup language.

I feel like I do know about how the web actually functions and how their subsequent applications come into being.

I think I just need to stop worrying about it and just live in the moment. I've always been a worrier, and it's a habit I really need to get out of!

I guess this is just a huge step for me in life, one minute I was a kid with nothing to look forward to and/or focus on - and now look at me. Somebody who is going to become a member of an environment where all the big brains reside :P
(edited 3 years ago)
Original post by hajima
Don't listen to them OP, they're a troll. I have 2 offers for Computer Science at Southampton and Warwick and I only have a GCSE in Computer Science. Computer science is a degree that's taught from scratch, they assume you know nothing before sitting in the first lecture.

Hi,

Congratulations on your offers!
This is true! As far as I know, most Computer Science courses are designed to teach both advanced and beginner students. In my case, I was a beginner in my first year at the University of Southampton. As long as you keep up with your studies you will do well.

All the best:smile:,
Dzhem
2nd-year CS student at University of Southampton
Thank goodness, that makes me feel so much better! I applied for Lincoln which is my first choice and they've said yes which I just think is amazing.

I'm sorry to hear that Oxford rejected you, I'm sure you'll get what you need out of a degree at another university. It could be much worse, that's just the way I look at it. Best of luck for university my friend, we all need it what with the pandemic

Hey @UnchartedDude18,

That's great to hear, well done on your offer from us. Congratulations! If you do have any further questions about the university of student life, please do contact us.

What made you consider Lincoln as your first choice?

Connor - Third Year History Student :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending