The Student Room Group
Studying in halls, University of Cambridge
University of Cambridge
Cambridge

PhD in Law Cambridge 2021

Hello.

Has anyone applied to Cambridge for the PhD in Law for the 2021 intake? If so, have you been invited to an interview yet?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Moved from 'submitted' to 'under review by department' on Friday 8 Jan, I think. That seems to be more or less when the rest got their status upgraded as well. Haven't heard anything since, but perhaps it's a bit early to expect much if they're only halfway into week 2 of review? Might have been interviews already for all I know, though.
Studying in halls, University of Cambridge
University of Cambridge
Cambridge
Reply 2
Original post by Kiarosi
Moved from 'submitted' to 'under review by department' on Friday 8 Jan, I think. That seems to be more or less when the rest got their status upgraded as well. Haven't heard anything since, but perhaps it's a bit early to expect much if they're only halfway into week 2 of review? Might have been interviews already for all I know, though.

Yes mine also says under review by department, but from previous threads on this site, I've seen that usually candidates start receiving invitations for interviews around the 18th of Jan going forward.
Reply 3
Yes, but from those previous years I believe the candidates also moved from "submitted" to "under review" much earlier.
Reply 4
Update: Interviews are being done now so I think most will have had interview requests by next week if not already. Good luck!
(edited 3 years ago)
Reply 5
Original post by Kiarosi
Update: Interviews are being done now so I think most will have had interview requests by next week if not already. Good luck!

really hope it works out for us both. How did you find out if I may ask?
(edited 3 years ago)
Hi,

My status currently reads as “under review by department” and I haven’t heard anything from the law faculty regarding interviews.

How about you?
Reply 7
Original post by Heyjuheyjude
Hi,

My status currently reads as “under review by department” and I haven’t heard anything from the law faculty regarding interviews.

How about you?

Hey there, same here.
I am not expecting anything because I submitted a horrible application. However, I wonder when they'll start sending rejections. Do you know anything about this?
Reply 8
Original post by toraki
Hey there, same here.
I am not expecting anything because I submitted a horrible application. However, I wonder when they'll start sending rejections. Do you know anything about this?

Impossible to say when they might send rejections. I think only the ones with the lowest score or where a supervisor is not available will get rejected by mid-Feb. The rest will probably be in the pool until all places are deemed more or less filled around March or so. I was interviewed last week, but as far as I know, an interview is not an absolute requirement for admission. At most, it only confirms that you're on the shortlist.

I don't really expect to hear from them again - good or bad news - until maybe around mid-Feb. I also doubt early interviews necessarily mean anything. Can be e.g. due to a scholarship deadline (some of them can be nationality-based), the supervisors' schedules or that the particular field of research only had one or very few applicants for potential supervisors to consider.
Reply 9
Hi! I have been invited for an interview by the 'admissions committee' and it's only 15 minutes with my supervisor and another member of the department. A few days ago I was asked by my supervisor to send in my current grades (my HEAR report was not updated from my masters!) and he said the phd admissions committee wanted to see them.

Do you know if this is a good sign/bad sign or what stage this means I am at? I don't think my portal is updating as it says my reference wasn't added because it was emailed separately. Any help would be great thank you!!

Original post by Kiarosi
Reply 10
Original post by s2656
Hi! I have been invited for an interview by the 'admissions committee' and it's only 15 minutes with my supervisor and another member of the department. A few days ago I was asked by my supervisor to send in my current grades (my HEAR report was not updated from my masters!) and he said the phd admissions committee wanted to see them.

Do you know if this is a good sign/bad sign or what stage this means I am at? I don't think my portal is updating as it says my reference wasn't added because it was emailed separately. Any help would be great thank you!!

My interview was a one-on-one, but I assume that this other person from the department is a potential co- or alternative supervisor or so? Surely it's normal to ask about your grades as part of their assessment if you haven't sent all of them yet.

As for the stage you're at, I don't think it's a bad sign to have heard from them. They only interview shortlisted candidates, so there's that. The portal is updated manually as far as I know, so I wouldn't really pay much attention to it as it may not be accurate. It also probably will stay at dep. review all the way until they eventually send it for GAO approval. Even then it might take time to update. I don't really expect any movement on the portal until mid-Feb at the earliest, but we'll see.
Reply 11
Original post by Kiarosi
My interview was a one-on-one, but I assume that this other person from the department is a potential co- or alternative supervisor or so? Surely it's normal to ask about your grades as part of their assessment if you haven't sent all of them yet.

As for the stage you're at, I don't think it's a bad sign to have heard from them. They only interview shortlisted candidates, so there's that. The portal is updated manually as far as I know, so I wouldn't really pay much attention to it as it may not be accurate. It also probably will stay at dep. review all the way until they eventually send it for GAO approval. Even then it might take time to update. I don't really expect any movement on the portal until mid-Feb at the earliest, but we'll see.

Hi Kiarosi,

If I may, how do you know for sure that they only interview shortlisted candidates? I remember reading some successful applicants were not interviewed in the past. Has this changed?

Thank you
Reply 12
Original post by toraki
Hi Kiarosi,

If I may, how do you know for sure that they only interview shortlisted candidates? I remember reading some successful applicants were not interviewed in the past. Has this changed?

Thank you

That's not quite what I meant. You don't need an interview to be selected, but being interviewed means you at least know that you've been shortlisted. You might still be shortlisted without one, but then you obviously won't know until you suddenly get a surprise move to GAO/offer.
Reply 13
Original post by Kiarosi
That's not quite what I meant. You don't need an interview to be selected, but being interviewed means you at least know that you've been shortlisted. You might still be shortlisted without one, but then you obviously won't know until you suddenly get a surprise move to GAO/offer.

Thank you very much! And all the best for your application. In any case, being interviewed sounds like a great sign.
To those of you who were interviewed: do you mind sharing your area of research?
Reply 15
May I ask does anyone's application status moves to GAO now? Thanks!
Reply 16
Original post by Mat1991
May I ask does anyone's application status moves to GAO now? Thanks!

Probably too early for that. Do you know of anyone who already updated to GAO? Were you interviewed a long time ago?
(edited 3 years ago)
Reply 17
Original post by Kiarosi
Probably too early for that. Do you know of anyone who already updated to GAO? Were you interviewed a long time ago?

No, I do not know. I am not interviewed yet. A little bit worried, lol.
Reply 18
Original post by Mat1991
No, I do not know. I am not interviewed yet. A little bit worried, lol.

I wouldn't be worried yet. I've seen from other unis that these things take a lot of time - especially for law. The only interview deadline which might soon expire is for the Gates Cambridge internal ranking (if they decide that an interview is necessary for the ranking), but I'm pretty sure interviews tend to be held throughout Feb for law.
Reply 19
Thanks. Do you think it is appropriate for us to write an email to Cambridge asking the status of our applications and when will the result be released?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending