The Student Room Group

Official: A-level and GCSE 2021 exams replaced with teacher assessed grades

Scroll to see replies

Original post by S0FT
Ok so my school has set their plans regarding A-Levels.

Between May and June I will have to pass exams - eventually produced by exam boards.
Exam boards will have access to a portfolio of exams I have done to moderate the results of the summer exam.

So from what I understood, I won’t have any form of teacher assessed grades.

Is this England? But the government hasn’t said anything yet?
Reply 1561
Original post by Imane888
That's good imo.

That's fine. I was just hoping that my teachers assign me a grade and provide evidence to justify it - with little emphasis on the summer exams, as I have straight A* since September.
Original post by S0FT
That's fine. I was just hoping that my teachers assign me a grade and provide evidence to justify it - with little emphasis on the summer exams, as I have straight A* since September.

Yeah I don't think that putting full emphasis on the exams is the way to go but it's better than CAGs?
Reply 1563
Original post by helpme111
Is this England? But the government hasn’t said anything yet?

We have the results of the consultation on the 23rd of February - but my school said they were in contact w/ people at Ofqual and that this was the more likely outcome of the consultation, so no matter what is decided they will adopt this policy regarding exams.
Reply 1564
Original post by Imane888
Yeah I don't think that putting full emphasis on the exams is the way to go but it's better than CAGs?

I totally agree w/ you, CAGs are a joke.
Original post by S0FT
I totally agree w/ you, CAGs are a joke.

I mean if only all schools could be trusted but it looks like they can not.
Original post by S0FT
We have the results of the consultation on the 23rd of February - but my school said they were in contact w/ people at Ofqual and that this was the more likely outcome of the consultation, so no matter what is decided they will adopt this policy regarding exams.

So are they using exam grades we achieved from before December into account for our final grades or mainly the grades we get may/June?
So are they using exam grades we achieved from before December into account for our final grades or mainly the grades we get may/June?

I heard from my friends teachers that from the plans that was given to her school it said that teachers should start assessing students work from the day that the government announced exam are cancel
(edited 3 years ago)
Original post by S0FT

Between May and June I will have to pass exams - eventually produced by exam boards.
Exam boards will have access to a portfolio of exams I have done to moderate the results of the summer exam.

Nice
Original post by S0FT

So, are the grades solely based off of the external assessments?
Reply 1570

Original post by ninja24
So, are the grades solely based off of the external assessments?

My school has decided to put a major emphasis on the summer exams I will do between May and June. They will provide a portfolio of exams to exam boards to adjust the grades I will get from the summer exams.

So no grades are not solely based on the external assessments, but my school decided to mainly based them on summer exams, with little emphasis on coursework and exams made throughout the year.

Firstly, we don’t even know if there will be external assessments - that is just my school’s policy, whether summer exams are internal or external does not change anything for me. But from what they told me, Ofqual will set-up external exams which will count towards a major part of the grades.
Original post by S0FT
My school has decided to put a major emphasis on the summer exams I will do between May and June. They will provide a portfolio of exams to exam boards to adjust the grades I will get from the summer exams.

So no grades are not solely based on the external assessments, but my school decided to mainly based them on summer exams, with little emphasis on coursework and exams made throughout the year.

Firstly, we don’t even know if there will be external assessments - that is just my school’s policy, whether summer exams are internal or external does not change anything for me. But from what they told me, Ofqual will set-up external exams which will count towards a major part of the grades.

what if we don't go back to school in the summer?
Reply 1572
what if we don't go back to school in the summer?

Frankly I have no idea.

It's just we have been living in uncertainty for such a long time - and as a result, I overreact whenever there is some news.

Maybe my school's plans will change - who knows...
Edexcel International GCSE and ALevels have just been cancelled.
Original post by S0FT

Did your school say anything about the exams being optional or compulsory for school? I know Northern Ireland announced yesterday that their exam boards will make new papers that schools will have the option to use, but they won’t be compulsory. I feel England will adopt a similar approach and will make the exams optional.
Reply 1575
Original post by Happs_2705
Did your school say anything about the exams being optional or compulsory for school? I know Northern Ireland announced yesterday that their exam boards will make new papers that schools will have the option to use, but they won’t be compulsory. I feel England will adopt a similar approach and will make the exams optional.

No, unfortunately we have to wait 3 weeks to know.

Bear in mind we might have to deal with an abrupt change - we are only in February.
Original post by S0FT
No, unfortunately we have to wait 3 weeks to know.

Bear in mind we might have to deal with an abrupt change - we are only in February.

Okay, thanks! I am also rather baffled at your schools polices - did they say if Ofqual’s consultation says they should consider evidence from throughout the course and specification (like Northern Ireland are doing) they will give the papers that you do in May and June more weight and importance? I have a strong feeling that the external assessments will be optional, Ofqual must have received so many negative feedback and concerns in the consultation for them to issue a blog on external assessments saying they should not be seen as exams. I think whatever Ofqual proposes, the Department of Education will stick to that because they will not want to be faced with more complaints or U-turns and this way they can blame Ofqual. Here’s what I think Ofqual will do:

1. In April exam boards will make external assessments available to school and these will be optional to schools to use.
2. Centres will be able to use evidence from the whole specification and course.
3. Centres will submit grades in June.
3. Results day will be brought forward to July.
4. All private candidates will have the option to sit exams in the Summer or do external assessments at their centre and the centre forms a grade with additional evidence.

Just my prediction :wink:
Can I just say: Ofqual's consultation closed a few days ago, everyone had the chance to have their say on the proposals and now the gvmt have to sit and read what students, parents and teachers think about it. NOTHING official has been announced yet regarding exams. Different schools have been taking different approaches whilst they wait to hear the final decision. But for now nothing has been decided... (regardless of the speculations)

There's a reason the majority of exams are over by mid June but the results don't come out until the second half of August - it takes a long time to process grades. Yes, they won't have papers to mark but they will have to do some form of moderation of whatever schools submit and then they will have to fit the results to a national distribution that isn't ridiculously inflated. Normally coursework has to be in by the first half of May to get it sorted by the August results. I cannot see them turning round grades in a month.
Reply 1579
Okay, thanks! I am also rather baffled at your schools polices - did they say if Ofqual’s consultation says they should consider evidence from throughout the course and specification (like Northern Ireland are doing) they will give the papers that you do in May and June more weight and importance? I have a strong feeling that the external assessments will be optional, Ofqual must have received so many negative feedback and concerns in the consultation for them to issue a blog on external assessments saying they should not be seen as exams. I think whatever Ofqual proposes, the Department of Education will stick to that because they will not want to be faced with more complaints or U-turns and this way they can blame Ofqual. Here’s what I think Ofqual will do:

1. In April exam boards will make external assessments available to school and these will be optional to schools to use.
2. Centres will be able to use evidence from the whole specification and course.
4. All private candidates will have the option to sit exams in the Summer or do external assessments at their centre and the centre forms a grade with additional evidence.

Just my prediction :wink:

Basically, my school's plan is to put emphasis on summer exams, regardless whether they are external or internal - and adjust the results from those exams w/ a portfolio of exams made throughout the year.

In my opinion, external assessments are likely to be optional and for private candidates only - but I strongly believe schools will make mock exams in the summer term which count for a significant part of the grades we will be assigned.

Which universities did you apply to ?
Best

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending