The Student Room Group

Official: A-level and GCSE 2021 exams replaced with teacher assessed grades

Poll

Do you think it was the right call to stop A-Level and GCSE exams going ahead as planned?

Looking for information on the 25th of Feb update? Find our new conversation here!

Hi everyone,

It has now been officially announced that due to the new school closures exams will not go ahead as planned in 2021. These exams will be replaced with teacher assessed grades. Teachers will be supported to make sure that the grades given are consistent and fair.

The reason this decision has been made is that it is now believed that students will have simply missed far too much face to face teaching time for traditional examinations to be an equal and fair measure of students abilities.
TSR will continue to update as we find out more. If there is anything TSR can do right now to support you, please reach out and ask and we will do our best.

Private Candidates 2021 Support Thread

If you are struggling, we have put some mental health resources below for you:

TSR Covid-19 Mental Health Hub

Struggling with exams being cancelled? Read some advice here.

MIND - Mental health charity for all ages with help and advice
Young Minds - Mental health support for under 18 year olds
Student Minds - Mental health support for University students
BTEC student support (DM's)

Edit: DFE states that vocational exams will continue in January. This includes all BTECS.

Edit 2: DFE states that colleges can decide whether to run vocational January exams (including BTECs)

Edit 3: It has now been confirmed that exams have been replaced with Teacher Assessed Grades for GCSE, AS and A-level exams. Teachers will be trained and supported to make sure these grades are consistent and fair for everyone.
(edited 3 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

Has Boris just said that exams are cancelled??
Same question !
Whyyyyyyyy
Oh my
(edited 3 years ago)
Wow :eek: I misheard him to start with and though he said they were going ahead :lol:
Not sure how to feel about it :redface:
"The Education Secretary will work with Ofqual"

Jesus Christ we're doomed
yes. Jobsworth teaching unions and lazy, spoilt children got us to this.
Original post by Laureningliss
He has said alternatives so does that mean 40% content cut or cancelled or what , I’m so confused 😭😭

Could be all sorts of things. Structured assessments, moderated coursework, a different format of “exam” or the sort of unstructured CAGs from 2020.
Original post by ENGAAsection1
Same question !

Not English but I have been following it all closely, but the news seems to be saying that GCSEs and A levels are cancelled, though he only spoke about it for about a minute!
I’m a private candidate! I don’t have any hope but any idea what’s gonna happen for all private candidates?
Original post by thepunmaster.e
Has Boris just said that exams are cancelled??

He kinda phrased it weirdly and went over it really quickly but i do believe so
Original post by Evil Homer
Hi everyone,

It has now been officially announced that due to the new school closures all exams will be cancelled in 2021.

The reason this decision has been made is that it is now believed that students will have simply missed far too much face to face teaching time for traditional examinations to be an equal and fair measure of students abilities.

This is all very new information, and the details on exactly what will replace these exams has yet to come out. The Prime Minister has said that the Education Sectary and Ofqual will now begin discussing next steps. TSR will continue to update as we find out more. If there is anything TSR can do right now to support you, please reach out and ask and we will do our best.

Does anyone know what might happen. I feel so stressed. I have taken a gap year to resit my exams and now i dont know what to do. I need As to go to the unis i want. I'm freaking out !!!!!
Original post by Say My Name10
I’m a private candidate! I don’t have any hope but any idea what’s gonna happen for all private candidates?

As with last year. Keep in touch with your exam centre. Offer to work with them to get them the information they need to get you a grade awarded however that will be done for your qualification.

I think you are in for a bumpy ride with answers few and far between for several months.

Details were fairly light in the message I'm afraid! We will try and find out what this means for private candidates as soon as possible.

They have longer to make sure they get this right this year, and they have an extra year of experience. Fingers crossed they can get it right!
Original post by Evil Homer
Hi everyone,

It has now been officially announced that due to the new school closures all exams will be cancelled in 2021.

This is all very new information, and the details on exactly what will replace these exams has yet to come out. The Prime Minister has said that the Education Sectary and Ofqual will now begin discussing next steps. TSR will continue to update as we find out more. If there is anything TSR can do right now to support you, please reach out and ask and we will do our best.

This hasn’t actually been announced?
Original post by jackmarshal757

Yes Boris just did a national address confirming this.
Original post by jackmarshal757

It was just in the announcement. Is there something specifically you don't think is correct?
They haven't been cancelled. He said it's not fair for all exams to go on. He'll be speaking to Ofqual. It's not confirmed that every single exam is cancelled.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending