The Student Room Group

starting uni

am i the only one who is terrified about starting uni. i'm not even an introvert but like how do you make real friends and actually adapt. also, i don't live in the uk right now so im scared that the british culture is going to be a total shock
Original post by Anonymous
am i the only one who is terrified about starting uni. i'm not even an introvert but like how do you make real friends and actually adapt. also, i don't live in the uk right now so im scared that the british culture is going to be a total shock

ikr! they say at uni you make friends for life which would be nice since ive had bad experience with friends in the past. i jus had my interview today and idek if im going to get an offer. i live in the uk, where have you applied to?
Reply 2
ikr! they say at uni you make friends for life which would be nice since ive had bad experience with friends in the past. i jus had my interview today and idek if im going to get an offer. i live in the uk, where have you applied to?

durham, bath, lancaster, warwick and manchester. you?
durham, bath, lancaster, warwick and manchester. you?

leeds, birmingham, sheffield, bradford, leicester
Oh I am very much the same. I was only discussing it today with my Dad.

I've never really struggled to make friends, but that is something that baffles me a bit as I'm a pretty shy, quiet person until I warm to people.

I think my major two fears are:
-What if I end up living with people who find me irritating and they simply dislike me?
-What if I don't settle in at all?

I keep trying to view it as an adventure or a challenge I have to accomplish.

(Unis applied for: Sheffield Hallam, Bradford, Tees, Leeds, Cardiff. Course: BSc Diagnostic Radiography.)
(edited 3 years ago)
Hi all,

I just want to come on here and offer some advice from somebody who has been through university, and definitely was worried about making friends as well. If your university offers it, I would really recommend applying for a student mentor. At Sheffield Uni, any new student can opt to have a Sheffield Mentor, who is a current student studying in the same academic department as you. Your mentor is someone you can talk to about anything, and you'll usually be paired up before you arrive so you can start chatting via email in the summer too. I found my mentor Lizzie was really kind and helpful, and put so many of my worries at ease.

The University of Sheffield also offers Orientation Week, which is a programme of activities and events that takes place before the main university arrivals period to help you get settled in. I worked as a Student Ambassador on this programme in my later years, and trust me when I say that by the end of the week everyone has made at least one new friend - but normally many more! As well as icebreaker activities and games to get to know each other, we also run specific induction sessions on British Culture, as well as advice and support for the university registration process and accessing additional help (should you need it). To get an idea of what Orientation Week is like, you can view the timetable for 2020-2021 here.

University accommodation is a very social place to live, and you'll often live with lots of other students within your flat. Everyone is in the same boat, and living together is the perfect icebreaker - even if you feel quite nervous about attending events, living with others means that making friends can be as simple as having a cup of tea/coffee together, or sharing a meal.

Whilst it is true you may not get on with all your flatmates, there are many other ways to make friends too! Universities in the UK also provide lots of extra-curricular activities via their Students' Union, which is an organisation dedicated to supporting students. Many have lots of clubs and societies, which are student-led groups devoted to a particular hobby or interest. For example, at Sheffield Students' Union there are over 350 clubs and societies to choose from, so you're bound to find something that interests you! Many societies will host introduction events at the start of the semester, so you can meet members and try out the activities. Going along to society events are a great way to make friends, as you'll already have something in common with everyone else in the room - perfect for skipping small talk!

I hope this helps all of you, but do feel free to reply to this with any questions you have about studying at university - it's not as scary as it first seems!

- Ben :smile:
Sheffield Graduate
BSc Molecular Biology, MSc Human and Molecular Genetics
(edited 3 years ago)
Hi there,

I thought I’d reach out to you because I felt the same when I started University. I had such a sound friendship group back at home with a place I loved it seemed weird for me to ‘give it all up’.
But, the best piece of advice I got was to try not to panic about something that’s not already happened. This is because you never actually know how you’ll find things without actually doing them in the first place. I think the best thing to do in these situations is give it a go. If after a month you still think ‘this isn’t for me’, that’s totally okay but at least you can say that you really tried. I did this when I started Uni and I am still there today haha! Also, hopefully you’ll be able to join University societies, where you’ll be able to meet people with the same interests as you this can help with the British Culture and ease you into things a bit more 😊

As well, it’s completely natural to be scared about something like this anyway let alone in the times of a global pandemic! 😊 I hope you’re giving yourself a bit of a break and knowing that it’s okay to feel the feeling you have right now.

I hope that helps 😊 Feel free to message me.

Ana.:h:
University of Liverpool Rep.
Hi @Anonymous
I totally understand your anxieties about starting uni ! I think it’s good to remember that most people are in the same boat eg moving away for the first time so will also have the same worries ! I think this is reassuring to know that other people might be feeling the same and want to settle in and make friends themselves ! In terms of adapting to British culture maybe see if your universities do anything to help you settle in- I know my university in the past has offered buddy schemes or international students mentoring schemes. But if things like this aren’t available anymore I highly recommend joining a society ! This is a great way to make new friends with similar interests to you !
Good look at university !
Lancaster University Student Ambassador Holly
Original post by CaitTopaz
Oh I am very much the same. I was only discussing it today with my Dad.

I've never really struggled to make friends, but that is something that baffles me a bit as I'm a pretty shy, quiet person until I warm to people.

I think my major two fears are:
-What if I end up living with people who find me irritating and they simply dislike me?
-What if I don't settle in at all?

I keep trying to view it as an adventure or a challenge I have to accomplish.

(Unis applied for: Sheffield Hallam, Bradford, Tees, Leeds, Cardiff. Course: BSc Diagnostic Radiography

ive been thinking about this ever since I filled in my ucas 🥲 ive just firmed my place at Bradford! how about you?
Reply 9

i feel exactly the same, i do live in the UK and am so so excited to meet new friends but my brain is also like '..what if you dont'
Original post by Alishibabaa
ive been thinking about this ever since I filled in my ucas 🥲 ive just firmed my place at Bradford! how about you?

I'm pretty much settled on Bradford. I have an unconditional offer there, so hopefully will sort my accommodation in the next few weeks.
Original post by CaitTopaz
I'm pretty much settled on Bradford. I have an unconditional offer there, so hopefully will sort my accommodation in the next few weeks.

Congrats on your offer and hope your accommodation goes well! What course are you doing?
Original post by Alishibabaa
Congrats on your offer and hope your accommodation goes well! What course are you doing?

Thank You. 😊

I'm doing the BSc Diagnostic Radiography course.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending