The Student Room Group

Don’t think I’m ready advice please

Hi all so confused and scared please help. I’ve got a place at uni and supposed to be starting in a couple of weeks. I have autism and also transgender and just starting to transition. I’m not sure if uni the right place to be transitioning and not sure if to take a gap year and start when I’ve transitioned more and comfortable with who I am. I wouldn’t be staying at uni id be home and commuting daily. I have a scholarship with the uni is it too late to take a gap year now? Would my place and scholarship still be available next year? Also any advice from someone who’s transitioned whilst in uni?
Original post by Anonymous
Hi all so confused and scared please help. I’ve got a place at uni and supposed to be starting in a couple of weeks. I have autism and also transgender and just starting to transition. I’m not sure if uni the right place to be transitioning and not sure if to take a gap year and start when I’ve transitioned more and comfortable with who I am. I wouldn’t be staying at uni id be home and commuting daily. I have a scholarship with the uni is it too late to take a gap year now? Would my place and scholarship still be available next year? Also any advice from someone who’s transitioned whilst in uni?

Hi,

I am sorry to hear you are struggling. Ultimately, the decision is yours and you should start university when you are ready to. It is okay if you do not feel ready yet and you want more time.

I would advice contacting your uni and asking if you can talk to someones on the admissions team. When talking to them I would be completely honest with your situation and feelings as they would not want you to start uni when you are not ready. As for your scholarship, you can ask them specific questions about how it would work if you wanted to defer a year (I know some people who did this after their first year so I am not sure of the exact protocol for if you want to take a year out before you start). I would like to reassure you in that there are always options.

To feel more comfortable contacting the university, you might want a family member or friend to sit with you. I would say call your university if you have a number to call because you are likely to get a quicker response, so you might know what your options are a bit quicker which might make you feel less anxious than if you were to send an e-mail.

I hope this helps a bit. :smile:

Alia
University of Kent Student Rep

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending