The Student Room Group

Marks and Spencer Retail Management Apprenticeship 2021

Hello guys, has anyone applied to the Retail Management programme at M&S?
I have applied and have been invited to the virtual Assessment Centre on 25th of Feb at 1.15pm, is anyone else doing it at this time?
Also does anyone has any tips for the M&S Assessment Centre? Thanks

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Hiya! I did this as well, how did you find it? And so you know when we hear back? Would love to hear back from you:smile:
(edited 3 years ago)
Reply 2
Original post by Anyagib1
Hiya! I did this as well, how did you find it? And so you know when we hear back? Would love to hear back from you:smile:

Hey,,,,so far I have just done the online tests and my assessment centre is on next Thursday.
As I applied quite early and I am also internal candidate as I work as customer assistant at M&S,,,they invited me for the Assessment Centre quite early.
What stage of recruitment are you on and also do you really wanna do the retail management apprenticeship or is it like a back up plan for you? Thank xz
Reply 3
Original post by Mubarkdu
Hey,,,,so far I have just done the online tests and my assessment centre is on next Thursday.
As I applied quite early and I am also internal candidate as I work as customer assistant at M&S,,,they invited me for the Assessment Centre quite early.
What stage of recruitment are you on and also do you really wanna do the retail management apprenticeship or is it like a back up plan for you? Thank xz

Hiya! Ooo good luck, you’ll do well I’m sure:smile: I applied as I worked as a Christmas temp and my manager Reccomended it, I did the application centre on Feb 9th, it was definitely an experience but really fun!
Yes this is my main option however I will apply next year if I’m unsuccessful as I’d love this career! Xx
Reply 4
Hiya! Ooo good luck, you’ll do well I’m sure:smile: I applied as I worked as a Christmas temp and my manager Reccomended it, I did the application centre on Feb 9th, it was definitely an experience but really fun!
Yes this is my main option however I will apply next year if I’m unsuccessful as I’d love this career! Xx

Good luck,,hopefully you will get it this year. Would you mind telling how was the application centre any tips you would like to give me? Xx
Reply 5
Good luck,,hopefully you will get it this year. Would you mind telling how was the application centre any tips you would like to give me? Xx

Thankyou! And good luck to you, I don’t want to give too much away as I don’t want to hinder my application but mine started at 1:15, we had a individual interview, a project type thing and a group discussion, just make sure you do your research and are calm. They’re all so lovely and I had a few technical difficulties but they were so patient and helpful. Good luck you’ve got this! Xx
Reply 6
Thankyou! And good luck to you, I don’t want to give too much away as I don’t want to hinder my application but mine started at 1:15, we had a individual interview, a project type thing and a group discussion, just make sure you do your research and are calm. They’re all so lovely and I had a few technical difficulties but they were so patient and helpful. Good luck you’ve got this! Xx

Thanks ever so much xx tbh I have applied to at least 50 places and have been rejected from most of them,,,just few last ones are remaining😅😅😅. Xx
Reply 7
Thanks ever so much xx tbh I have applied to at least 50 places and have been rejected from most of them,,,just few last ones are remaining😅😅😅. Xx

Oh no! Are you an alevel student now? Is this your main option? I’m not hopeful for getting a place so trying to find other retail management apprenticeships😂 xx
Reply 8
Oh no! Are you an alevel student now? Is this your main option? I’m not hopeful for getting a place so trying to find other retail management apprenticeships😂 xx

Yeah I am A level student. I love working in retail and M&S really feels like a family as I have there for quite long now but problem is this programme is more kinda training and you dont really get any qualification. So thats why my main option is accounting apprenticeship and I did 2 final interviews with mid tier accounting firms and just waiting for the outcome now.
Are you A Level student as well and do you still work at M&S?
I would say defo keep looking for other options as its always nice to have back up👍
Reply 9
Aw that’s lovely! Yeah that’s very true, wow that’s great good on you! My boyfriend is looking for an accountancy apprenticeship but there aren’t any up yet for September! I’m also an alevel student, I worked as a temp, got kept on but had to leave because of lockdown. Definitely I just hope they let us know either way:smile:
Hello guys, has anyone applied to the Retail Management programme at M&S?
I have applied and have been invited to the virtual Assessment Centre on 25th of Feb at 1.15pm, is anyone else doing it at this time?
Also does anyone has any tips for the M&S Assessment Centre? Thanks

Hiya, I have mine in a few weeks. Can i ask you how many other candidates were with you? Were you allowed notes? And how was the experience, obviously it must have been different as it was all virtual.
Thankyou
Reply 11
Original post by mileyamber
Hiya, I have mine in a few weeks. Can i ask you how many other candidates were with you? Were you allowed notes? And how was the experience, obviously it must have been different as it was all virtual.
Thankyou

Hello, I would be honest that it was an amazing experience, they were like proper organised and everything went really smooth.
As my main target was to get an accounting apprenticeship and I attended like 6 to 7 assessment centres but unfortunately couldn't get any offers.
Retail was my back up and I am glad that I have received an from marks and Spencer literally 5 days after my AC.
There were 3 other candidate so in total 4 and we did 3 tasks in total. First one was one to one interview then was individual presentation and the final was group exercise and the whole process lasted for 4 hours.
Interview: They do ask some general questions like why m&s and why this programme but mainly question were "tell me about a time....." ones. This stage lasts for around 45 minutes and you are expected to ask some questions at the end so be prepared.
Presentation: They will give you a case study and you will have 40 minutes to read through and also prepare the presentation. As asked above yes you are allowed to take notes even I prepared my presentation on a piece of paper and then just read from it. You are assessed on what you say. After 40 minutes you need to present back you will get 10 minutes for that and MOST IMPORTANT YOU ARE REQUIRED TO MANAGE YOUR TIME AND ALSO TO KEEP AN EYE ON TIME BECAUSE THEY ARE NOT GONNA TELL YOU WHEN THE IS UP. There will be 2 assessors and one will be taking notes in the background and other one will ask you question about you presentation for about 10 minutes.
Group task: I will be honest that I was horrified of the group exercise but it was rather a nice experience. They will you a task with and you will have 4 to 5 options and you guys would need to discuss and then choose one point.

That's pretty much it. Please feel free to ask me anything and any help you need, I will try my best to help you. Wishing you best of luck.!!!!
Hello, I would be honest that it was an amazing experience, they were like proper organised and everything went really smooth.
As my main target was to get an accounting apprenticeship and I attended like 6 to 7 assessment centres but unfortunately couldn't get any offers.
Retail was my back up and I am glad that I have received an from marks and Spencer literally 5 days after my AC.
There were 3 other candidate so in total 4 and we did 3 tasks in total. First one was one to one interview then was individual presentation and the final was group exercise and the whole process lasted for 4 hours.
Interview: They do ask some general questions like why m&s and why this programme but mainly question were "tell me about a time....." ones. This stage lasts for around 45 minutes and you are expected to ask some questions at the end so be prepared.
Presentation: They will give you a case study and you will have 40 minutes to read through and also prepare the presentation. As asked above yes you are allowed to take notes even I prepared my presentation on a piece of paper and then just read from it. You are assessed on what you say. After 40 minutes you need to present back you will get 10 minutes for that and MOST IMPORTANT YOU ARE REQUIRED TO MANAGE YOUR TIME AND ALSO TO KEEP AN EYE ON TIME BECAUSE THEY ARE NOT GONNA TELL YOU WHEN THE IS UP. There will be 2 assessors and one will be taking notes in the background and other one will ask you question about you presentation for about 10 minutes.
Group task: I will be honest that I was horrified of the group exercise but it was rather a nice experience. They will you a task with and you will have 4 to 5 options and you guys would need to discuss and then choose one point.

That's pretty much it. Please feel free to ask me anything and any help you need, I will try my best to help you. Wishing you best of luck.!!!!

Thankyou so much for your response was super helpful! And well done on getting an offer :smile:
Is the apprenticeship to start September?
Is the camera on at all times during the 3 tasks? Like surely you get a break?
I think that’s all my questions for now. I will comment again if I think of anymore questions.
Thankyou again I really appreciate your reply as im getting worked up about it so you’ve helped calm me a bit. At the end of the day I’m grateful for the opportunity to have this experience, no matter the outcome.
Congratulations!!

Reply 14
Congratulations!!

Thanks ever so much, have you heard back from them regarding the outcome of you Assessment Centre? Xx
Thanks ever so much, have you heard back from them regarding the outcome of you Assessment Centre? Xx

I actually just got a call back today saying I was successful and have got an offer, completely shocked but over the moon!! Very excited to begin as I can imagine you are too xx
Reply 16
I actually just got a call back today saying I was successful and have got an offer, completely shocked but over the moon!! Very excited to begin as I can imagine you are too xx

Many many congratulations x you have smashed it xx
I hope you gonna accept the offer😅
Would you mind asking me what is your first preferred location? You can send it to personal chat if you want but its entirely upto you'd like to share😊
Many many congratulations x you have smashed it xx
I hope you gonna accept the offer😅
Would you mind asking me what is your first preferred location? You can send it to personal chat if you want but its entirely upto you'd like to share😊

Thankyou so muvh and the same to you!! Would love to privately discuss it with you! Do you have Facebook or Instagram? Xx
Reply 18
Thankyou so muvh and the same to you!! Would love to privately discuss it with you! Do you have Facebook or Instagram? Xx

Thanks x I've sent you my instagram user name in personal chat xx
Hey I was successful in this as well and was wondering if you know anything regarding shifts and uniform.

Millie

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending