The Student Room Group

I’m looking for a weekend job

Hi, I’m 16 1/2 years old and I’m waiting for my GCSE results which come out in two weeks.

I’m looking for weekend work and wondered if anyone here had a job with Tesco’s before their GCSE results came out?
Original post by Lollibob1234!
Hi, I’m 16 1/2 years old and I’m waiting for my GCSE results which come out in two weeks.

I’m looking for weekend work and wondered if anyone here had a job with Tesco’s before their GCSE results came out?

tesco doesnt hire under 18s usually , very rare
Reply 2
I'm pretty sure most retailers don't care about GCSE results, a lot of them don't even ask. Just apply to as many as possible and say you can only work weekends.

Original post by Zxsr5667
I'm pretty sure most retailers don't care about GCSE results, a lot of them don't even ask. Just apply to as many as possible and say you can only work weekends.

no one will hire a 16 yr old who cna only work on weekends tho.
my manager has said to my face that managers care more about availability than anything else and being 16 with no previous experience defo doesnt help. so its v hard to get jobs at 16 apart from like fast food like mcdonalds or if u get lucky etc
Reply 4

Hi, I’m waiting for my results too. I applied to tescos at the end of June and have heard nothing back. Application is “under review”.
Original post by aneer3wq3wt
my manager has said to my face that managers care more about availability than anything else and being 16 with no previous experience defo doesnt help. so its v hard to get jobs at 16 apart from like fast food like mcdonalds or if u get lucky etc

Thats not true. I had a weekend job in retail at 16. I stitched between 8 hours on a Saturday and 5 hours on a Sunday but i generally only worked once a week and had no other experience. All of my friends had weekend jobs

Boots start you from the age of 15.
Tesco start you from 16 but certain areas are 18 only.
Sainsbury's, Morrisons and most other retailers will start people from 16 but most have a age 18 restrictions.
Don't worry about your exams results yet as you can add anything to your online profile as and when you get the information.
Reply 7
Original post by subbhy
Hi, I’m waiting for my results too. I applied to tescos at the end of June and have heard nothing back. Application is “under review”.

On their website what job did you apply for? I couldn’t see anything for weekend work and what did you put in for the results of your GCSEs? There was a box that asked for results and I couldn’t fill that in because I don’t have them yet
Reply 8
Original post by flamingolover
Thats not true. I had a weekend job in retail at 16. I stitched between 8 hours on a Saturday and 5 hours on a Sunday but i generally only worked once a week and had no other experience. All of my friends had weekend jobs

Where did you work?
Original post by flamingolover

really? when was this? a year ago when i was 16 after gcse looking for retail job i got none and likewise with my mates, maybe depends on area who knows ig
Original post by Littleemma98
Boots start you from the age of 15.
Tesco start you from 16 but certain areas are 18 only.
Sainsbury's, Morrisons and most other retailers will start people from 16 but most have a age 18 restrictions.
Don't worry about your exams results yet as you can add anything to your online profile as and when you get the information.

Thanks that’s good to know!
really? when was this? a year ago when i was 16 after gcse looking for retail job i got none and likewise with my mates, maybe depends on area who knows ig

I started that job in 2019 and then left in 2021. My town had a lot of retail places that did that cause a lot of the older staff wanted weekends free for kids and stuff. Cafes also always want weekend staff which is where a lot of my friends had jobs
(edited 8 months ago)
Where did you work?

Clarks
Reply 13
On their website what job did you apply for? I couldn’t see anything for weekend work and what did you put in for the results of your GCSEs? There was a box that asked for results and I couldn’t fill that in because I don’t have them yet

It was called “Tesco colleague”. I put my predicted results down. I don’t think there’s any point really because they probably won’t hire us anyway (it says “this job has expired”). Good luck for results day btw
Thanks that’s good to know!

You are welcome 🤗🤗🤗 good luck with things 🙏
Original post by subbhy
It was called “Tesco colleague”. I put my predicted results down. I don’t think there’s any point really because they probably won’t hire us anyway (it says “this job has expired”). Good luck for results day btw

Thank you, you too 😘

I know of people in the past who have worked there before their results came out. If you apply now, then by the time you have applied, been interviewed etc etc you will have had your results anyway.
Quite a lot of places take on from 16- shops, supermarkets, fast food places, cafes, restaurants, cinemas, local attractions, touristy type places etc etc.

You will find that a lot of places hire people from aged 16 onwards who can only work weekends.
A lot of shops/supermarkets/restaurants/cafes/fast food places etc are busier at the weekends, so they need more staff in. There are quite a few staff (especially older staff or staff who have kids etc) who can only work in the week, so places need weekend staff.
tesco doesnt hire under 18s usually , very rare

Yes they do.
I know of quite a few people who have worked at various different tesco stores from aged 16.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending