The Student Room Group

what subject should I drop

basically,I want to do law at uni.The subjects im studying are eng lit/lang,history,law and criminology.People have told me you need traditional subjects for uni and have told me to drop criminology,is this true/a good idea?
Have you considered looking at the subject requirements for the courses you want to apply to rather than taking an umbrella approach?
i've looked but im still stuck.Im doing good in all subjects and I enjoy them all but the workload is immense so ive decided im going to do 3 a levels instead of 4.

Original post by Scienceisgood
Have you considered looking at the subject requirements for the courses you want to apply to rather than taking an umbrella approach?
Original post by rola05
i've looked but im still stuck.Im doing good in all subjects and I enjoy them all but the workload is immense so ive decided im going to do 3 a levels instead of 4.

I’m not in a position where I can advise anything mainly because it’s uncertain what the situation will be like when you actually start university. I imagine you’ll be applying for the 2023 entry?

I imagine COVID will be a non-issue by that point but I can’t be certain and thus if moving away from home will be an option and as such, where you will be living (accommodation or home) because I am unsure if online lectures will still be done or not.

So, unless you can submit the universities you’re looking at, right now the help anyone can give is limited as some universities have different entry standards and subjects than others.

Sorry for not being much help, I just need more than what you’ve given me so far.
though 'traditional' essay based subjects may give you an advantage for some unis, they'll care more about the grades you get so just make sure you're doing subjects you enjoy. drop the one you think you'd enjoy the least.
I'd email any potential unis ur considering and see what they think but in general I think traditional subjects are preferred
Original post by Scienceisgood
I’m not in a position where I can advise anything mainly because it’s uncertain what the situation will be like when you actually start university. I imagine you’ll be applying for the 2023 entry?

I imagine COVID will be a non-issue by that point but I can’t be certain and thus if moving away from home will be an option and as such, where you will be living (accommodation or home) because I am unsure if online lectures will still be done or not.

So, unless you can submit the universities you’re looking at, right now the help anyone can give is limited as some universities have different entry standards and subjects than others.

Sorry for not being much help, I just need more than what you’ve given me so far.

im in year 12 and im looking into going into ucl,kcl,lse and qmu for law.I'd be living in accommodation and i'm certain covid wouldn't be an issue
Original post by H4ttie03
I'd email any potential unis ur considering and see what they think but in general I think traditional subjects are preferred

thank you for the advice,i've heard that traditional is preferred so I might drop criminology.
Original post by absolutelysprout
though 'traditional' essay based subjects may give you an advantage for some unis, they'll care more about the grades you get so just make sure you're doing subjects you enjoy. drop the one you think you'd enjoy the least.

Thank you for the advice,I'll take that into consideration
Original post by rola05
Thank you for the advice,I'll take that into consideration

no worries :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest