The Student Room Group

Lancaster vs Surrey vs Exeter

Hi
I have been accepted for a master taught program in data science in Lancaster and Surrey. I've also been accepted for the applied data science and statistics program at Exeter. Module wise, all three programs are fascinating to me. (however, if I want to decide Lancaster>Exeter>Surrey. but as I've said all three are interesting)

My program at Exeter and Surrey is with work placement which is very important for me given that the cost of living is an important matter and I'm hoping to get paid while working in my work placement and even get employed after. However no such thing is written in the Lancaster's program (however they have mentioned a 3 months work placement but compared to the other two which is about a year it is not considerable)

My first question is regarding the cost of living which city between Exeter, Guildford and Lancashire are CHEAPER and better for international students? Also which city is better to find a part-time job while studying for instance at McDonald (doesn't really matter where) .

I would like to pursue my education towards a PhD. which university will give me a better reputation to do so? and even receive a scholarship for my further studies? (I am thinking of working for a year before starting my PhD to build my resume, earn some money and have some time to apply for a descent doctoral opportunity, which university has better reputation amongst employers?)

Lastly I also have offers for data science for Essex and mathematics and computing from Swansea. Any thoughts and advices? (My main choices are the first three but I am still thinking to pick the right choice. Given that I am an international student receiving correct and reliable information from different websites with diverse opinions is quite confusing and I will appreciate all the help I can get)

Thank you for your time. Sorry it was a bit long

Scroll to see replies

Original post by darehq
Hi
I have been accepted for a master taught program in data science in Lancaster and Surrey. I've also been accepted for the applied data science and statistics program at Exeter. Module wise, all three programs are fascinating to me. (however, if I want to decide Lancaster>Exeter>Surrey. but as I've said all three are interesting)

My program at Exeter and Surrey is with work placement which is very important for me given that the cost of living is an important matter and I'm hoping to get paid while working in my work placement and even get employed after. However no such thing is written in the Lancaster's program (however they have mentioned a 3 months work placement but compared to the other two which is about a year it is not considerable)

My first question is regarding the cost of living which city between Exeter, Guildford and Lancashire are CHEAPER and better for international students? Also which city is better to find a part-time job while studying for instance at McDonald (doesn't really matter where) .

I would like to pursue my education towards a PhD. which university will give me a better reputation to do so? and even receive a scholarship for my further studies? (I am thinking of working for a year before starting my PhD to build my resume, earn some money and have some time to apply for a descent doctoral opportunity, which university has better reputation amongst employers?)

Lastly I also have offers for data science for Essex and mathematics and computing from Swansea. Any thoughts and advices? (My main choices are the first three but I am still thinking to pick the right choice. Given that I am an international student receiving correct and reliable information from different websites with diverse opinions is quite confusing and I will appreciate all the help I can get)

Exeter is the most reputable university out of those you mention -

Surrey will be expensive to live in compared to the others.

Write a pros/cons list but the longer work placement sounds ideal. The Met Office [weather forecasting] is based in Exeter ...
Reply 2
Original post by Muttley79
Exeter is the most reputable university out of those you mention -

Surrey will be expensive to live in compared to the others.

Write a pros/cons list but the longer work placement sounds ideal. The Met Office [weather forecasting] is based in Exeter ...

Thank you for your reply. Between the others which one will your recommend (reputation amongst employers)?
Regarding your answer, I have noticed that Exeter is among Russel Group universities. but Lancaster is higher in QS ranking and almost all other rankings. Also I have read that Exeter is mostly known for its reputation in Humanities field. I don't know whether it's true or not? but again looking at the rankings, Exeter is ranked lower than all of them except for Swansea in "computer science" in the QS ranking.
Original post by darehq
Thank you for your reply. Between the others which one will your recommend (reputation amongst employers)?
Regarding your answer, I have noticed that Exeter is among Russel Group universities. but Lancaster is higher in QS ranking and almost all other rankings. Also I have read that Exeter is mostly known for its reputation in Humanities field. I don't know whether it's true or not? but again looking at the rankings, Exeter is ranked lower than all of them except for Swansea in "computer science" in the QS ranking.

Exeter's CS department is very marginal, up until recently it mainly offered courses in applied IT and web development. It's very much a tertiary department in the Harrison Building, which it shares with engineering and maths (neither of which are particularly more notable either). Also Exeter is moderately expensive as a city, and quite far removed from major employment hubs. Lancashire will be MUCH cheaper to live in, while Surrey is better located for placements in and around London for example.
Original post by darehq

I wouldn't take much notice of rankings - they vary so much and the way they are calculated in not replicable. Exeter has a good rep in Sciences and were one of the first to teach OR. Its Maths department has always been strong particularly in applied options.

Essex is not well-regarded, the others are OK but do not have the same rep as Exeter. [I am biased because a lot of my students have gone there and been happy and are now in good jobs]
Original post by darehq
Hi

Hiya!

It's great to hear you have applied for Surrey I am a second year student studying Psychology. I can try and help you out in terms of what Surrey is like and my experience there. I'll break it down into the headings so it is easier for you to follow and read. If you're not bothered about student life for example then feel free to skip it, I just thought I could give you a general overview of Surrey :smile:

Student Life: Firstly, I have found student life to be very welcoming from the moment I moved onto campus! Everyone I came across was very friendly and helped me whenever I needed help (students included). On campus, there is places you can study or just chill in such as The Nest or The Hive and the Library. Furthermore, there is many food outlets on campus such as a mini supermarket to be able to quickly get any essentials or to buy lunch. There is also a Starbucks and other food outlets such as Wates House and Hillside. Every week there is also a fresh fruit and veg market so you can get these at your door step without going to Tesco. There is a nightclub on campus called Rubix which is always putting on great events each week. With COVID Rubix has been put on hold, however hopefully it will make a return soon! As well as this, there is also so many societies and club you can join, this will help you to make more friends at university too Here is a link to see the full list of clubs and societies we have at Surrey - https://www.ussu.co.uk/getinvolved/clubs

Location: The University is about a 20 minute walk from Guildford town centre and 10 minute bus journey which has a variety of shops and many restaurants! My favourites are Positano and La Casita, so if you end up in Surrey make sure to check these out What I loved about Surrey is that the Uni isn't far from London. It is about a 34 minute train journey making trips to London quick and efficient. There is also a big Tesco that is about a 3-5 minute bus journey or 10 minute walk so it is easy to pick up your shopping for the week.

Standard of Teaching & Support: In the Psychology department, the department has always maintained a high standard. I feel as though I am really benefitting from the teaching here and learning new things. The lecturers have always been quick in helping me. They also have contact hours which you can attend and ask them any questions you may have. Although this is in the Psychology department - I have no doubt that the teaching will be great and supportive in your department. For other support around the uni, there is a health and wellbeing centre which can help with any needs such as sexual health, mental health or any queries you may have. There is also a Career service team that can help with CVs and cover letters and even interviews. I am currently applying for placements in HR and the career team have been extremely helpful in reading my CVs and helping me improve it to enable me to get through the application process of many HR roles.

Accomodation/Cost of living: If you would like to live on campus then here is some information about that :smile: There is different accommodation bands that range from cheapest (A) to the more expensive band F. When you apply for accommodation you can put down your preference on what band you would like and that way can choose a room depending on the finances you have. Although the preferences aren't guaranteed there isn't much price difference between lower priced bands compared to higher bands. Please see this link for more information and prices: https://www.surrey.ac.uk/accommodation.

If you want to rent outside the university, renting from a private landlord is expensive however I believe that's this is case in most university towns. As long as you manage your money, loan etc then you should be able to rent from a private landlord. If not then you can always apply for uni accommodation again or the university can help you find accommodation I went through the university to find my home for second year as the university managed some properties. This was a bit cheaper than renting from a landlord and the deposit was only £250. Unfortunately the university managed properties will not be running from this year however they can help you in terms of looking at contracts, supporting you when looking for accommodation, things like that. As for food shopping, there is a Tesco nearby and usually I spend about £20 on a food shop each week which isn't too bad. As long as you're being smart with your money then you should be able to have enough finances for the week. My maintenance loan didn't cover my accommodation costs so I did find a part time job to give me some extra money and also enabled me to make new friends outside of university. I have found it manageable living in Guildford, and if you gain a part-time job this will make it more easier for you too!

When it comes to the universities I suggest weighing them up against each other, such as all their pros and cons and hopefully they can help you come to a decision easier :smile:

I hope this helps, please feel free to ask any more questions! Also check out our Instagram to see Surrey from students perspective each week: SurreyStudent

Becca
Which is cheaper. I know Lancaster is cheap compared to other unis. Halls living can range from 95 pounds for basic std room , to 172 pounds if you have a studio. My eldest is paying 132 for a townhouse. https://www.lancaster.ac.uk/accommodation/undergraduate/ . Living in the city privately varies. You can get a place with a landlord for about 90 pounds upwards. Privately owned halls are 140 upwards but contract is longer at 50-51weeks.
Reply 7
Lancaster is a much cheaper place to live. Regarding work placements - either for one year or three months - are these guaranteed or do you need to apply for them?
Reply 8
Original post by artful_lounger
Exeter's CS department is very marginal, up until recently it mainly offered courses in applied IT and web development. It's very much a tertiary department in the Harrison Building, which it shares with engineering and maths (neither of which are particularly more notable either). Also Exeter is moderately expensive as a city, and quite far removed from major employment hubs. Lancashire will be MUCH cheaper to live in, while Surrey is better located for placements in and around London for example.

Thank you very much for the information. Given that Lancaster is quite small, are there part-time jobs available to do while studying?
Reply 9
I wouldn't take much notice of rankings - they vary so much and the way they are calculated in not replicable. Exeter has a good rep in Sciences and were one of the first to teach OR. Its Maths department has always been strong particularly in applied options.

Essex is not well-regarded, the others are OK but do not have the same rep as Exeter. [I am biased because a lot of my students have gone there and been happy and are now in good jobs]

Thank you very much for the information
Reply 10
Original post by University of Surrey Student Rep
Hiya!

It's great to hear you have applied for Surrey I am a second year student studying Psychology. I can try and help you out in terms of what Surrey is like and my experience there. I'll break it down into the headings so it is easier for you to follow and read. If you're not bothered about student life for example then feel free to skip it, I just thought I could give you a general overview of Surrey :smile:

Student Life: Firstly, I have found student life to be very welcoming from the moment I moved onto campus! Everyone I came across was very friendly and helped me whenever I needed help (students included). On campus, there is places you can study or just chill in such as The Nest or The Hive and the Library. Furthermore, there is many food outlets on campus such as a mini supermarket to be able to quickly get any essentials or to buy lunch. There is also a Starbucks and other food outlets such as Wates House and Hillside. Every week there is also a fresh fruit and veg market so you can get these at your door step without going to Tesco. There is a nightclub on campus called Rubix which is always putting on great events each week. With COVID Rubix has been put on hold, however hopefully it will make a return soon! As well as this, there is also so many societies and club you can join, this will help you to make more friends at university too Here is a link to see the full list of clubs and societies we have at Surrey - https://www.ussu.co.uk/getinvolved/clubs

Location: The University is about a 20 minute walk from Guildford town centre and 10 minute bus journey which has a variety of shops and many restaurants! My favourites are Positano and La Casita, so if you end up in Surrey make sure to check these out What I loved about Surrey is that the Uni isn't far from London. It is about a 34 minute train journey making trips to London quick and efficient. There is also a big Tesco that is about a 3-5 minute bus journey or 10 minute walk so it is easy to pick up your shopping for the week.

Standard of Teaching & Support: In the Psychology department, the department has always maintained a high standard. I feel as though I am really benefitting from the teaching here and learning new things. The lecturers have always been quick in helping me. They also have contact hours which you can attend and ask them any questions you may have. Although this is in the Psychology department - I have no doubt that the teaching will be great and supportive in your department. For other support around the uni, there is a health and wellbeing centre which can help with any needs such as sexual health, mental health or any queries you may have. There is also a Career service team that can help with CVs and cover letters and even interviews. I am currently applying for placements in HR and the career team have been extremely helpful in reading my CVs and helping me improve it to enable me to get through the application process of many HR roles.

Accomodation/Cost of living: If you would like to live on campus then here is some information about that :smile: There is different accommodation bands that range from cheapest (A) to the more expensive band F. When you apply for accommodation you can put down your preference on what band you would like and that way can choose a room depending on the finances you have. Although the preferences aren't guaranteed there isn't much price difference between lower priced bands compared to higher bands. Please see this link for more information and prices: https://www.surrey.ac.uk/accommodation.

If you want to rent outside the university, renting from a private landlord is expensive however I believe that's this is case in most university towns. As long as you manage your money, loan etc then you should be able to rent from a private landlord. If not then you can always apply for uni accommodation again or the university can help you find accommodation I went through the university to find my home for second year as the university managed some properties. This was a bit cheaper than renting from a landlord and the deposit was only £250. Unfortunately the university managed properties will not be running from this year however they can help you in terms of looking at contracts, supporting you when looking for accommodation, things like that. As for food shopping, there is a Tesco nearby and usually I spend about £20 on a food shop each week which isn't too bad. As long as you're being smart with your money then you should be able to have enough finances for the week. My maintenance loan didn't cover my accommodation costs so I did find a part time job to give me some extra money and also enabled me to make new friends outside of university. I have found it manageable living in Guildford, and if you gain a part-time job this will make it more easier for you too!

When it comes to the universities I suggest weighing them up against each other, such as all their pros and cons and hopefully they can help you come to a decision easier :smile:

I hope this helps, please feel free to ask any more questions! Also check out our Instagram to see Surrey from students perspective each week: SurreyStudent

Becca

Thank you very much for the information. It was very helpful and complete and Hope the best for U
Original post by darehq
Thank you very much for the information. Given that Lancaster is quite small, are there part-time jobs available to do while studying?

Please note that Artful Lounger is very anti-Exeter as he did not have a good time there. The infornation is also totally wrong ... Exeter is MUCH cheaper than Surrey - CS was one of the first in the country to be establish- they were teaching OR in the early 70s!

Jobs are easier than Lancaster - I do have ex-students at all three.

You should state your anti-Exeter bias ...
Reply 13
Original post by ajj2000
Lancaster is a much cheaper place to live. Regarding work placements - either for one year or three months - are these guaranteed or do you need to apply for them?

They are written as part of the degree. for instance the university offers two programs one in data science the other in data science with work placement which takes place in 2 years. You have to apply for them separately and they are not one program to apply for. However with regards to guarantee, I am not sure and I've heard that if the university cannot find a work placement for you then you can finish your degree without the placement no charge. But I don't know how often this happens (especially during the pandemic).
Reply 14
Please note that Artful Lounger is very anti-Exeter as he did not have a good time there. The infornation is also totally wrong ... Exeter is MUCH cheaper than Surrey - CS was one of the first in the country to be establish- they were teaching OR in the early 70s!

Jobs are easier than Lancaster - I do have ex-students at all three.

I'm pretty stuck between Lancaster and Exeter myself. hope to make the right decision. Thanks again
Original post by darehq
I'm pretty stuck between Lancaster and Exeter myself. hope to make the right decision. Thanks again

Have you down the virtual tours?

Both are good options :smile:

http://www.exeter.ac.uk/study/

https://www.lancaster.ac.uk/
Original post by darehq

Not sure, I've never lived in Lancaster nor really looked into it personally :s-smilie:

In Exeter your options as a student for part-time work are mostly the usual retail/food services or a local call centre, there's not much else available (or at least wasn't when I was there). The call centre will hire just about anyone if you can fit in their rota though, but it is a call centre so pretty grim work as it goes. If you're lucky you might be able to get some work at the uni but the positions there tend to not be designed for students, aside from temp work during open days or alumni donation drives, and sometimes some temp admin work at the start of term for registering new students, and non-temp work was usually quite competitive as I recall.
Reply 17
Have you down the virtual tours?

Both are good options :smile:

http://www.exeter.ac.uk/study/

https://www.lancaster.ac.uk/

No I haven't I will definitely take a look
Reply 18
Not sure, I've never lived in Lancaster nor really looked into it personally :s-smilie:

In Exeter your options as a student for part-time work are mostly the usual retail/food services or a local call centre, there's not much else available (or at least wasn't when I was there). The call centre will hire just about anyone if you can fit in their rota though, but it is a call centre so pretty grim work as it goes. If you're lucky you might be able to get some work at the uni but the positions there tend to not be designed for students, aside from temp work during open days or alumni donation drives, and sometimes some temp admin work at the start of term for registering new students, and non-temp work was usually quite competitive as I recall.

thanks again :smile:
https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=6904136 Thats an informational piece I did on Lancaster. My daughter studies there. Its not the same subject, but I have put down a few things about the city and the campus you may find useful.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending