The Student Room Group

MPhil Economics 2021/2022

Hi all,

Just thought I would create a thread for all applying/being admitted onto the MPhil Economics course beginning 2021, it would be cool to find some course mates on here!

If you have received an offer, or are still awaiting an offer let us know. Good luck to those still waiting to hear back from Cambridge :smile:

Bleaney

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Hi,

I applied for Mphil Finance & Economics on Dec 3rd, still under review by the department. Haven't seen anyone on here talking about this course :/
Original post by elena132
Hi,

I applied for Mphil Finance & Economics on Dec 3rd, still under review by the department. Haven't seen anyone on here talking about this course :/

Seen few mentions, including person saying he is waiting for 14 weeks... any of you guys sent an email to university asking for an update ?
Reply 3
Hi,I applied for Mphil in Economics at the end of last October. I contacted the department last month about any update,they said my application was still under consideration by the admission committee and this would take a few weeks. But there is still no update till now. Does the Econ department usually send out decisions in March?Is there any change of your status?
Hey E. any news on that course?
Reply 5
I am still ‘under review by department’ on the portal for the MPhil. Guess this is a good place to see when people start hearing back either way.

Hope the wait is not too long!
Original post by elena132
Hi,

I’ve received an offer for this. You can check my post history for my profile if you’re curious.
(edited 3 years ago)
Reply 7
Hi guys! I received an offer for the MPhil in Economics on January 20th. I was allocated to Peterhouse, which was my second option (unsuccessful at Pembroke). Hope to see you all there in the fall!
Reply 8
Hi
Original post by spor123
Hi guys! I received an offer for the MPhil in Economics on January 20th. I was allocated to Peterhouse, which was my second option (unsuccessful at Pembroke). Hope to see you all there in the fall!

Hey, I got my offer on January 22nd! I had no preference for colleges and was thus first sent to/accepted by the Sidney Sussex college. Hopefully see you in September :smile:
Reply 9
Original post by nitesh10
Hi, I applied on the 26th of Jan. My application status is stuck, since then on 'under review by dept'. Did the status change for you? thanks

I would say that's normal, since only few offers were made in late January and the next batch will probably be sent out later this month, even for some of those who applied before the funding deadline (Dec 3rd). Once the status changes to "awaiting approval by GAO", you're basically in. So keep your head high!
Reply 10
Original post by bleaney
Hi

Hey, I got my offer on January 22nd! I had no preference for colleges and was thus first sent to/accepted by the Sidney Sussex college. Hopefully see you in September :smile:

Congrats, Bleaney! Sidney seems really nice, as well. Are you an international or UK student?
Original post by spor123

Congratulations on your acceptance! I'm still under departmental review (applied mid-December). I had Peterhouse down as my 1st preference, do you think this means that I'm lucky enough to be accepted, it's more unlikely I'll be allocated to Peterhouse given there's another MPhil student from the same subject already allocated there?
Reply 12
Original post by BenRyan99
Congratulations on your acceptance! I'm still under departmental review (applied mid-December). I had Peterhouse down as my 1st preference, do you think this means that I'm lucky enough to be accepted, it's more unlikely I'll be allocated to Peterhouse given there's another MPhil student from the same subject already allocated there?

Hi Ben! Thank you very much! From what I read in the general Cambridge Postgraduate Applicants forum, there are many things to consider in your question. For starters, Peterhouse is one of the smallest and most subscribed colleges, which means that the college should become “full” earlier than normal. In other words, the later your application is sent in, the more likely it will be rejected and sent to other colleges.

There is also the case that colleges try to build diverse cohorts, and it might be that Peterhouse already admitted the number of students from Economics they want. This is actually what I think happened with me when my application was sent to Pembroke, since several MRes had already been accepted by that time, and I don't think colleges distinguish between MRes and MPhil students from the same subject area.

In that sense, and coming back to your question, I would say my allocation there makes your acceptance at Peterhouse less likely, but not impossible at all. Personally, I do not know anyone who has been allocated to Peterhouse to pursue an Economics degree. So fingers crossed! Hope you hear back from the university soon, I know how hard the wait can be.
Original post by Yuwei
Hi,I applied for Mphil in Economics at the end of last October. I contacted the department last month about any update,they said my application was still under consideration by the admission committee and this whey ould take a few weeks. But there is still no update till now. Does the Econ department usually send out decisions in March?Is there any change of your status?

Hey, mind sharing your profile?
Reply 14
Original post by spor123
Congrats, Bleaney! Sidney seems really nice, as well. Are you an international or UK student?

I am a UK student
Reply 15
Everyone still in the dark? They really are dragging this out!

For anyone who has got a verdict from the department, did you receive an email first or was the portal updated first? Or both at pretty much the same time?
Original post by whw

For anyone who has got a verdict from the department, did you receive an email first or was the portal updated first? Or both at pretty much the same time?

Rejection - Portal first in few hours email
To GAO - same I believe

But 100% would not look into this too much.
Reply 17
Original post by whw

It was a matter of 3 hours, at most. I noticed my acceptance first in the portal, and some time later I got the automatic e-mail.
Reply 18
Original post by Falcon1209
Rejection - Portal first in few hours email
To GAO - same I believe

But 100% would not look into this too much.

Original post by spor123
It was a matter of 3 hours, at most. I noticed my acceptance first in the portal, and some time later I got the automatic e-mail.

Thank you both!

Do you by any chance have any views on where the department will be in the cycle now? I know that we were going to be notified if our application was held in a gathered field in April, which I realise is coming up pretty soon.

Also really hope that the process won’t be disrupted too much by the Easter break!
Original post by whw
Thank you both!

Do you by any chance have any views on where the department will be in the cycle now? I know that we were going to be notified if our application was held in a gathered field in April, which I realise is coming up pretty soon.

Also really hope that the process won’t be disrupted too much by the Easter break!

To be honest apart from the fact that they are swamped I have no idea where we stand. First news of gathered file; I thought we are pooled now and hence the delay+Covid circumstances. Can you please provide more colour on gathered file; how it works when is it announced etc..

In addition; for last 3 weeks I haven't noticed someone got an offer on Fin or Eco page of TSR.
(edited 3 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending