The Student Room Group

LGBTQ+ Q and A Thread

Scroll to see replies

i

Original post by becausethenight
:grouphugs:
:goodluck: we're always here if you need more help!

i have just followed you just incase i need you again
how are u anyways xx
I'm a 17 year old gay guy, but I've never been in a relationship :frown:
I've told a couple of my friends but I've kept it a secret from my parents, I don't think they would accept it.
Luckily my friends dont have a problem with it at all!
Original post by jademowry123
thank you so much for being so understanding
i am honestly so grateful i don't know how i can ever thank you
tbh i cant think of anyone else who has been so aceptive

You can always come back to this thread if you have any other questions that are queer-related, we're happy to help you! :yep:

If you want to be a part of a massive accepting group, you can always join the LGBT society here and check out the links I put in the original post of this thread :smile: you can find support and other people who might be going through similar things! Or, you can just introduce yourself to meet other queer TSR users.
Original post by Hyperadder04
I'm a 17 year old gay guy, but I've never been in a relationship :frown:
I've told a couple of my friends but I've kept it a secret from my parents, I don't think they would accept it.
Luckily my friends dont have a problem with it at all!

Hey there! :smile:

First off, you don't need to prove your sexuality for it to be valid - you can have feelings without acting on them. I know I am bisexual and I've also never been in a relationship - it's totally possible and 100% normal.

Why do you think your parents might not accept you? Is it more fear of the unknown or have they given you reason in the past to think they won't like it? Maybe we can dive into this further and see if there's a solution for you :yep:

I'm glad your friends are cool with it. At least you know that whatever happens, there are people who love you and support you.
Coming out (positive experience but possible TW with some of the content still)

Spoiler

aaaaaaaaaaaa this is so wholesome!! Congrats on the engagement and I hope you have a beautiful wedding! Wishing you lots of love and wellness in your life!!
Original post by BurstingBubbles
Coming out (positive experience but possible TW with some of the content still)

Spoiler

Hi!!!!
I appreciate this thread so much I`ve learnt quite a lot in the last few pages but I have a very stupid question and I might say a couple of sensitive things don`t read if it might upset you, please delete this if its a bit too much
Do I put a TW?? Idk but just in case there is mention of homophobia

Spoiler

How to come out to parents?
Original post by hxnnxh_13.11.06
How to come out to parents?

Depends on the parents - first question, sadly, is always "would you be safe if you did?"
If they're generally nice people (as one would hope) it can be helpful to 'signpost' a bit and set aside time for a discussion (like saying "I have something really important I want to tell you, is now a good time where we can talk") and offering to answer questions or give them time. Some people do just come out over text or casually mention it, but I know a lot of people are quite worried and like the 'gravitas' of doing it seriously, myself included.

Also worth bearing in mind that properly coming out can be the first step on a long road still - for me for example, coming out to my parents as bi happened a few years ago, them actually acknowledging that hasn't really happened yet!
Original post by becausethenight
Depends on the parents - first question, sadly, is always "would you be safe if you did?"
If they're generally nice people (as one would hope) it can be helpful to 'signpost' a bit and set aside time for a discussion (like saying "I have something really important I want to tell you, is now a good time where we can talk") and offering to answer questions or give them time. Some people do just come out over text or casually mention it, but I know a lot of people are quite worried and like the 'gravitas' of doing it seriously, myself included.

Also worth bearing in mind that properly coming out can be the first step on a long road still - for me for example, coming out to my parents as bi happened a few years ago, them actually acknowledging that hasn't really happened yet!

Okay, thank you. No, I don't think it is safe we are currently in family therapy for non-LGBT-related issues. I think I'll wait :/
Original post by Anonymous
Hi!!!!
I appreciate this thread so much I`ve learnt quite a lot in the last few pages but I have a very stupid question and I might say a couple of sensitive things don`t read if it might upset you, please delete this if its a bit too much
Do I put a TW?? Idk but just in case there is mention of homophobia

Spoiler

Spoiler

Original post by shadowdweller

Spoiler

Spoiler

Original post by hxnnxh_13.11.06
Okay, thank you. No, I don't think it is safe we are currently in family therapy for non-LGBT-related issues. I think I'll wait :/

Ah I see, I'm sorry to hear that :frown:
It's not fun waiting but it is better than some of the alternatives, unfortunately... Really all the best to you and I do hope you can come out and be yourself as soon as it's feasible :hugs:
hey! i really don't understand transgender people. like if you are a man, why would you willingly want to become a woman and be oppressed and if you are a woman, why would you want to give up your femininity and become a man? xxx
hey! i really don't understand transgender people. like if you are a man, why would you willingly want to become a woman and be oppressed and if you are a woman, why would you want to give up your femininity and become a man? xxx

It's not a conscious choice to feel discomfort with your sex.
Original post by EierVonSatan
It's not a conscious choice to feel discomfort with your sex.

but doesnt everyone go through phases of not feeling comfortable - it doesn't mean you change how u were born?? x

there's obviously dysphoria involved, and suicide rates of closeted transgender people increase the longer they stay in the closet.
but doesnt everyone go through phases of not feeling comfortable - it doesn't mean you change how u were born?? x

Sure, I think most people do but it's usually a pretty minor thing, for trans people it's probably much more significant. I'm not trans, so I can only give you second hand information :tongue: I think it's very hard/impossible to understand unless it happens to you and so it's difficult to grasp from our perspective.

Changing how you were born is impossible unless you have a time machine :smile:

it is nerological and it can be very hard to process i know but its like saying if you wanted to be identified as a cat but you are a human but you understand your disision and noone knows what you are feeling it is a weird example but it makes sence if you think about it i hope this help you to understand transgender people or you can go to @becausethenight for support they helped me when i needed help they are sure to know what to say many thanks jay-jay
Original post by jademowry123
it is nerological and it can be very hard to process i know but its like saying if you wanted to be identified as a cat but you are a human but you understand your disision and noone knows what you are feeling it is a weird example but it makes sence if you think about it i hope this help you to understand transgender people or you can go to @becausethenight for support they helped me when i needed help they are sure to know what to say many thanks jay-jay

Thanks - I'll make the point now though that I'm not engaging in this discussion (despite being trans) because I can't be bothered to justify existing :lol:
I don't understand why anyone else is happy as a man or a woman, but somehow I can understand that they are :tongue:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending