The Student Room Group

Spanish A level El Laberinto Del Fauno

Hi!
Is anyone in year 12 studying about "El Laberinto Del Fauno" for Spanish AQA A level? so we could partner up/group and help each other with the content and analysis

Thanks!
Sorry you've not had any responses about this. :frown: Are you sure you've posted in the right place? :smile: Here's a link to our subject forum which should help get you more responses if you post there. :redface:
Hey. I studied El Laberinto del Fauno and got an A overall in Spanish. A*s on some previously marked essays. If you want to post here about any themes or analysis you're struggling with then you're more than welcome to. I might be able to help.

Buena suerte!
Reply 3
Original post by studygirl388
Hey. I studied El Laberinto del Fauno and got an A overall in Spanish. A*s on some previously marked essays. If you want to post here about any themes or analysis you're struggling with then you're more than welcome to. I might be able to help.

Buena suerte!

Hi, I'm currently in the process of writing essays to help me boost my grade. I am doing a question on Carmen's interaction/behaviour with Ofelia and Vidal. Do you have any ideas, discreet or not, which I can use?
Hey I'm in year 12 doing el laberinto del fauno too :smile:
Original post by Eb2003
Hi, I'm currently in the process of writing essays to help me boost my grade. I am doing a question on Carmen's interaction/behaviour with Ofelia and Vidal. Do you have any ideas, discreet or not, which I can use?

Hey. So for Carmen's interaction with Vidal, she hugely represents a sense of repressed femininity. From the first instance of their relationship, we see Vidal showing immediate dominance over Carmen when herself and Ofelia arrive at his camp. Vidal confines her to a wheelchair so symbolically, she is 'beneath' him, shown by a low angle shot. Vidal therefore towers over her. The wheelchair also symbolises Vidal's control over Carmen. She is confined to his restraints of power. Throughout the film in general, Carmen embodies the values of traditional women who have been taught to obey their husbands and the male figures of society.

Regarding Carmen's interaction with Ofelia, you could say that they have a reversed relationship. Ofelia is seen using her maternal instincts to care for her ailing mother. Coincidentally, it is instead the character of Mercedes who becomes the mother that Ofelia never had, both prior to and following Carmen’s death. In one of the earlier scenes of the film, after the family has arrived at Captain Vidal’s residence, they receive a visit by the Captain’s physician, who diagnoses Carmen and provides her with medicine to help her recuperate. Throughout the entire scene, Ofelia remains at her mother’s bedside helping to cap the medicine bottle and to place it on the table by the bed. The doctor even tells Carmen, “Don’t hesitate to call. You or your nurse,” which of course, implies Ofelia. You could also mention the cinematography - Ofelia is often seen leaning over her mother, showing Ofelia being a caring figure for her mother. Also, mention how Carmen is quite dismissive of Ofelia's adolescent naivety, more specifically, her belief in fairies. Carmen thinks that she understands the real world, a world of misery, which does exist and she has first-hand experience of such a world. However, we see that Ofelia's imagination has a great deal of truth to it, and that in the end, there is hope beyond the oppression that often overshadows the real world. It's also a world that makes a direct correlation between a patriarchal stepfather and authoritarianism: by disobeying Vidal, Ofelia rejects both an overbearing male presence and a nasty political ethos.

Sorry it's a bit late, I hope this is helpful.
Reply 6
Original post by studygirl388
Hey. So for Carmen's interaction with Vidal, she hugely represents a sense of repressed femininity. From the first instance of their relationship, we see Vidal showing immediate dominance over Carmen when herself and Ofelia arrive at his camp. Vidal confines her to a wheelchair so symbolically, she is 'beneath' him, shown by a low angle shot. Vidal therefore towers over her. The wheelchair also symbolises Vidal's control over Carmen. She is confined to his restraints of power. Throughout the film in general, Carmen embodies the values of traditional women who have been taught to obey their husbands and the male figures of society.

Regarding Carmen's interaction with Ofelia, you could say that they have a reversed relationship. Ofelia is seen using her maternal instincts to care for her ailing mother. Coincidentally, it is instead the character of Mercedes who becomes the mother that Ofelia never had, both prior to and following Carmen’s death. In one of the earlier scenes of the film, after the family has arrived at Captain Vidal’s residence, they receive a visit by the Captain’s physician, who diagnoses Carmen and provides her with medicine to help her recuperate. Throughout the entire scene, Ofelia remains at her mother’s bedside helping to cap the medicine bottle and to place it on the table by the bed. The doctor even tells Carmen, “Don’t hesitate to call. You or your nurse,” which of course, implies Ofelia. You could also mention the cinematography - Ofelia is often seen leaning over her mother, showing Ofelia being a caring figure for her mother. Also, mention how Carmen is quite dismissive of Ofelia's adolescent naivety, more specifically, her belief in fairies. Carmen thinks that she understands the real world, a world of misery, which does exist and she has first-hand experience of such a world. However, we see that Ofelia's imagination has a great deal of truth to it, and that in the end, there is hope beyond the oppression that often overshadows the real world. It's also a world that makes a direct correlation between a patriarchal stepfather and authoritarianism: by disobeying Vidal, Ofelia rejects both an overbearing male presence and a nasty political ethos.

Sorry it's a bit late, I hope this is helpful.

Thank you, I actually used many of these points in my exam aswell!
Reply 7
Original post by hennaboldt
does anyone know the aqa spanish a level paper 2 2019 questions for el laberinto del Fauno and / or requiem por un campesino espanol?

I'm not sure if I did 2019 or 2020 paper! I did it last week and they crossed the year out, however the options were the techniques Del Toro used to convey the post war period / symbols used to represent Vidal's character. Hope this helps.
I’m doing el laberinto for my exams, I have a test tomorrow on characters and the big thing I’m struggling with is grammar!
Original post by Milly1612
I’m doing el laberinto for my exams, I have a test tomorrow on characters and the big thing I’m struggling with is grammar!

Hey - are there any grammatical aspects in particular that you're struggling with? Tenses? Adjectival agreements? Subjunctive? Spelling? I can try and give you some advice if you'd like.
Hi! It would be really helpful if you could let me know the question you were given, I’m looking for some practice questions to help revise! Thanks! :smile:
Reply 11
Original post by RB.
I'm not sure if I did 2019 or 2020 paper! I did it last week and they crossed the year out, however the options were the techniques Del Toro used to convey the post war period / symbols used to represent Vidal's character. Hope this helps.

Thanks for this!! Could you tell me what some of the points you used were?
Original post by Meduse

Buena suerte!

Hey would you be able to send me the essays you got A* on?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending