The Student Room Group

A level Options

I'm a year 11 student who wants to do a computer science / cybersecurity degree at university (preferably KCL, UCL or Imperial). I was going to go to Brampton Manor Academy to study Maths, Further Maths, Physics and Computer Science at A level. However, the sixth form have removed Computer science from their offered Subjects. I now only have 3 options:
1. Go to BMA and study Maths, Further Maths (might drop second year), Physics and Chemistry
2. Go to BMA and study Maths, Further Maths (might drop second year), Physics and Economics (might drop instead of FM)
3. Go to either Ilford county sixth form or KEGS(hopefully) to study Maths, Further Maths (might drop), Physics and Computer science

I'm really confused on what I should do right now as I really want to optimise my chances of studying a computer science degree at my preferred university but also not take the most stressful subjects and trip my grades over.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated ASAP.
Thank you.
Original post by dg.0358
I'm a year 11 student who wants to do a computer science / cybersecurity degree at university (preferably KCL, UCL or Imperial). I was going to go to Brampton Manor Academy to study Maths, Further Maths, Physics and Computer Science at A level. However, the sixth form have removed Computer science from their offered Subjects. I now only have 3 options:
1. Go to BMA and study Maths, Further Maths (might drop second year), Physics and Chemistry
2. Go to BMA and study Maths, Further Maths (might drop second year), Physics and Economics (might drop instead of FM)
3. Go to either Ilford county sixth form or KEGS(hopefully) to study Maths, Further Maths (might drop), Physics and Computer science

I'm really confused on what I should do right now as I really want to optimise my chances of studying a computer science degree at my preferred university but also not take the most stressful subjects and trip my grades over.

Thank you.

Have you at least checked the entry requirements for the degrees you want at the universities you want to go to?

A quick search on Google provides the following:
https://www.imperial.ac.uk/computing/prospective-students/ug/
https://www.kcl.ac.uk/study/undergraduate/courses/computer-science-bsc
https://www.ucl.ac.uk/prospective-students/undergraduate/degrees/computer-science-meng/
https://www.ucl.ac.uk/prospective-students/undergraduate/degrees/computer-science-bsc/

The courses I have listed above are commonly asking for A* in maths. Only KCL is asking for at least one of the following: maths, further maths, computing, or computer science. In other words, your ideal courses/universities are asking for Maths. Further maths and computer science would be optional.
Reply 2
I think that fmaths would be an advantage (particularly for imperial). Have you considered three options instead of four?
Reply 3
Original post by dg.0358

Thank you.

Hey - I'm a Year 11 student in a similar position to you (hoping to study Maths, Further Maths, Economics and Physics/Chemistry for my A-Levels at BMA), so I hope I can help.

You really don't need to do A-Level Computer Science to do it as a degree - next to none of the universities in the UK require it, you really just need to show a passion for the subject to unis (such as engaging in a programming project or the like. They really only require A-Level Maths, with the most competitive (including ICL) seeing Further Maths as a beneficial subject.

Ultimately, I'd recommend you go to Brampton - not sure on Ilford County, but BMA's sixth form is really good for uni progression to Oxbridge and the like, so you should go there to really maximise your chances of going to Imperial, Kings and UCL.
Reply 4
Original post by Eel88
Hey - I'm a Year 11 student in a similar position to you (hoping to study Maths, Further Maths, Economics and Physics/Chemistry for my A-Levels at BMA), so I hope I can help.

You really don't need to do A-Level Computer Science to do it as a degree - next to none of the universities in the UK require it, you really just need to show a passion for the subject to unis (such as engaging in a programming project or the like. They really only require A-Level Maths, with the most competitive (including ICL) seeing Further Maths as a beneficial subject.

Ultimately, I'd recommend you go to Brampton - not sure on Ilford County, but BMA's sixth form is really good for uni progression to Oxbridge and the like, so you should go there to really maximise your chances of going to Imperial, Kings and UCL.

Wow, thank you so much!

Just one more doubt - at BMA, would you recommend that I do Chemistry or Economics? Because when I asked a student that I know at BMA, he replied that doing chemistry would make year 12 very hectic due to the heavy content and also because I would be doing my maths A level in the same year (due to taking further maths)

Or is it possible to do Maths, Further Maths, Physics and chem / econ in the first year and drop chem / econ in the second year, so I would be doing Maths, Physics and Further Maths at A level.

For reference my current grade in maths is 8-9 (based on mocks in November, until now)
Reply 5
Original post by MindMax2000
Have you at least checked the entry requirements for the degrees you want at the universities you want to go to?

A quick search on Google provides the following:
https://www.imperial.ac.uk/computing/prospective-students/ug/
https://www.kcl.ac.uk/study/undergraduate/courses/computer-science-bsc
https://www.ucl.ac.uk/prospective-students/undergraduate/degrees/computer-science-meng/
https://www.ucl.ac.uk/prospective-students/undergraduate/degrees/computer-science-bsc/

The courses I have listed above are commonly asking for A* in maths. Only KCL is asking for at least one of the following: maths, further maths, computing, or computer science. In other words, your ideal courses/universities are asking for Maths. Further maths and computer science would be optional.

Thank you!

In all honesty, it's just that I feel quite jittery about whether I can achieve atleast 2 A stars and an A, due to what I've heard from current sixth form students.

For instance, at GCSE maths and physics, my grade is currently an undecided 8-9, while computer science is a 9.

Thanks for the help!
Reply 6
Original post by user342
I think that fmaths would be an advantage (particularly for imperial). Have you considered three options instead of four?

Thank You!

I have indeed intended to take 3 subjects at A level, however Brampton requires me to study 4 at AS level.

I'm just not sure whether to take chemistry or economics alongside Maths, Further Maths and Physics in year 12.

preferably I can drop chem / econ, however in a very very tight case, I might have to drop further maths.
I'll try my best to get an A* in it though lmao.
Reply 7
Original post by dg.0358
Wow, thank you so much!

Just one more doubt - at BMA, would you recommend that I do Chemistry or Economics? Because when I asked a student that I know at BMA, he replied that doing chemistry would make year 12 very hectic due to the heavy content and also because I would be doing my maths A level in the same year (due to taking further maths)

Or is it possible to do Maths, Further Maths, Physics and chem / econ in the first year and drop chem / econ in the second year, so I would be doing Maths, Physics and Further Maths at A level.

For reference my current grade in maths is 8-9 (based on mocks in November, until now)

I wouldn't say I'm really in the position to give you any advice on what subjects to take, as I'm in Year 11 myself! Though I'd perhaps recommend economics as to me it looks a tad less intense than chemistry (and way more interesting!)

Also yes you would be allowed to drop an A-Level.
Reply 8
Original post by Eel88
I wouldn't say I'm really in the position to give you any advice on what subjects to take, as I'm in Year 11 myself! Though I'd perhaps recommend economics as to me it looks a tad less intense than chemistry (and way more interesting!)

Also yes you would be allowed to drop an A-Level.

Ahh finally thank you for this so much!
I've been stressing like mad because I wasn't sure if I could take Further Maths as a 3rd A level instead of a 4th.
Yeah - I was considering doing econ and dropping it in second year, at least from the looks of it.
Thank you!
Reply 9
Original post by dg.0358
Ahh finally thank you for this so much!
I've been stressing like mad because I wasn't sure if I could take Further Maths as a 3rd A level instead of a 4th.
Yeah - I was considering doing econ and dropping it in second year, at least from the looks of it.
Thank you!

No worries :smile:

Hope to see you at BMA if we both get in!
Reply 10
Original post by Eel88
No worries :smile:

Hope to see you at BMA if we both get in!

Same Here! 🤞
Pretty sure you need to write essays for economics so just bear that in mind :smile:
Reply 12
Original post by user342
Pretty sure you need to write essays for economics so just bear that in mind :smile:

Thank You!

Btw do you think it would be ok to drop economics in A2 and continue with Maths, Further Maths and physics?
I think that would be fine, as long as it's something you enjoy, and it would definitely be beneficial to get a qualification out of it. Also make sure that you're able to deal with the workload that comes with four subjects
Reply 14
Original post by user342
I think that would be fine, as long as it's something you enjoy, and it would definitely be beneficial to get a qualification out of it. Also make sure that you're able to deal with the workload that comes with four subjects

Thank You!
I've come to the conclusion of my priority list:
1. KEGS - studying maths, fm, physics and comp sci
2. BMA - studying maths, fm, physics and econ
3. (Very very very unlikely) ICHS - study maths, fm, physics and comp sci
Reply 15
Original post by dg.0358

Thank you.

Thats so weird wth... I applied to Brampton on the day their applications opened and I entered Computer Science, Maths, F. Maths and Physics and at that time it was still an option on the website but now it's gone?? That's so mad... maybe they ran out of Computer Science spaces by the time you applied??
Reply 16
does anyone know how to change a level options after submitting the application? I picked physics and art but I’ve changed my mind and want to change them to chem and politics instead ( I’m so indecisive 😭)
Original post by n123c
does anyone know how to change a level options after submitting the application? I picked physics and art but I’ve changed my mind and want to change them to chem and politics instead ( I’m so indecisive 😭)

Just email someone kind of high up in the school (like a deputy head or head of science?), or if you know who does the timetables/subject choices email them. Another option could be to wait until September and check that you don't like the subjects you applied for then ask to switch when you're there and know people more. Depends if you're willing to do that or not.
Reply 18
Original post by abbyxx
Thats so weird wth... I applied to Brampton on the day their applications opened and I entered Computer Science, Maths, F. Maths and Physics and at that time it was still an option on the website but now it's gone?? That's so mad... maybe they ran out of Computer Science spaces by the time you applied??

Yea, but even after I emailed them about the Computer Science option not being available, they replied that they weren't running Computer Science next year : (

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending