The Student Room Group

A level economics?

Hi I’m considering doing economics a level despite not having done it at GCSE. It sounds really interesting but my only experience of it is only really the economic stuff in geography.
Is there anything I could read or search about to see if economics is right for me?

Thank you :smile:
Original post by Mkm5
Hi I’m considering doing economics a level despite not having done it at GCSE. It sounds really interesting but my only experience of it is only really the economic stuff in geography.
Is there anything I could read or search about to see if economics is right for me?

Do you read the news? If not, you probably won't like it.
Look at a business news article. Look at all of the jargon that you don't understand. You see that? A-level Economics can help you understand it a little better. It won't teach you much about the stock market but it'll definitely make it easier to understand other markets and global politics.
(edited 3 years ago)
Reply 2
same here! im trying to find out more about it before i pick it for definite. what other subjects would you pick?
Original post by yaya200
same here! im trying to find out more about it before i pick it for definite. what other subjects would you pick?

I'm considering picking economics for A level too.

I'm also picking sociology and psychology alongside economics.
Reply 4
Original post by Mkm5

Hi, I do economics alevel. My school didn't offer it at GCSE so i had never done it before either. I did initially feel slightly disadvantaged but I soon caught up and it wasn't a problem. I am now predicted an A [I'm in y13].
Reply 5
Original post by ethh1
Hi, I do economics alevel. My school didn't offer it at GCSE so i had never done it before either. I did initially feel slightly disadvantaged but I soon caught up and it wasn't a problem. I am now predicted an A [I'm in y13].

Ah okay that’s good to know. Is there a lot of elements of business in economics (because I haven’t taken business at gcse either lol and I’m not too keen on it)?

Does anyone think Alevel econ will be good for a marketing/advertising/pr degree alongside media and graphics?
Original post by 🧡Hajera
Does anyone think Alevel econ will be good for a marketing/advertising/pr degree alongside media and graphics?

Hey Hajera,

I think having an A-Level in Economics would be fine if you are planning to study one of the above degrees. From a personal experience, I studied Business at A-Level which definitely helped shape my understanding of a business even though I wanted to focus on Marketing. I studied BA Marketing at University of Hull and am currently studying my MSc Advertising and Marketing. Many business related degrees have a 'mixed' first year that includes modules such as Marketing, HRM, Accounting and Finance etc. Additionally, many courses will require you to have a particular amount of UCAS points but may not require specific courses, for example here at Hull it was required I achieved 112 UCAS points but I have no subject specific requirements.

If you wanted to check out more information regarding our Marketing degrees here at Hull then you can find out information HERE. Also, if you have any questions related to a Marketing/Advertising degree please let me know and I'd love to help :smile:

Megan
University of Hull Student Rep
Reply 8
Original post by Mkm5
Ah okay that’s good to know. Is there a lot of elements of business in economics (because I haven’t taken business at gcse either lol and I’m not too keen on it)?

I'm not sure how much it overlaps with business because I didn't take business gcse either. My friend did and I think it helped her a bit, it gave her a groundwork to work off and it obviously helped her with understanding but not everyone in my class did business and/or geography so I don't think that you should worry if you have no previous economic subject link.
At GCSE I did French, History, RE, Media and Design Technology [& core subjects obvs] so I did neither geo. or business and I'm doing alright and find economics really interesting.
Reply 9
Original post by ethh1
I'm not sure how much it overlaps with business because I didn't take business gcse either. My friend did and I think it helped her a bit, it gave her a groundwork to work off and it obviously helped her with understanding but not everyone in my class did business and/or geography so I don't think that you should worry if you have no previous economic subject link.
At GCSE I did French, History, RE, Media and Design Technology [& core subjects obvs] so I did neither geo. or business and I'm doing alright and find economics really interesting.

Okay thank you! I think I am gonna choose economics after looking at some of the content - thank you for your help!
Original post by Uni of Hull Students
Hey Hajera,

I think having an A-Level in Economics would be fine if you are planning to study one of the above degrees. From a personal experience, I studied Business at A-Level which definitely helped shape my understanding of a business even though I wanted to focus on Marketing. I studied BA Marketing at University of Hull and am currently studying my MSc Advertising and Marketing. Many business related degrees have a 'mixed' first year that includes modules such as Marketing, HRM, Accounting and Finance etc. Additionally, many courses will require you to have a particular amount of UCAS points but may not require specific courses, for example here at Hull it was required I achieved 112 UCAS points but I have no subject specific requirements.

If you wanted to check out more information regarding our Marketing degrees here at Hull then you can find out information HERE. Also, if you have any questions related to a Marketing/Advertising degree please let me know and I'd love to help :smile:

Megan

Okay tysm! Is the marketing content I’m business alevel big section
Original post by 🧡Hajera
Okay tysm! Is the marketing content I’m business alevel big section

Hey @hajera

I am sorry for my delayed response! The Marketing content in my Business A-Level was pretty substantial. I had two modules, one in each year that lasted one term each. I learnt about Marketing and Advertising fundamentals such as consumer behaviour, the 4Ps of marketing and some other key concepts. It is also where my interest in Marketing began :smile: This definitely gave me a headstart in my Marketing module in my first year of BA Marketing. Hope this helps and if you have any other questions do let me know :smile:

Megan
Original post by Uni of Hull Students
Hey @hajera

I am sorry for my delayed response! The Marketing content in my Business A-Level was pretty substantial. I had two modules, one in each year that lasted one term each. I learnt about Marketing and Advertising fundamentals such as consumer behaviour, the 4Ps of marketing and some other key concepts. It is also where my interest in Marketing began :smile: This definitely gave me a headstart in my Marketing module in my first year of BA Marketing. Hope this helps and if you have any other questions do let me know :smile:

Megan

Thank u! I’m confused now cause business has marketing in it but the course as a whole econ topics look more interesting than the rest of the business a level.
Also doesn’t econ Alevel have consumer behaviour too?
Original post by 🧡Hajera
Thank u! I’m confused now cause business has marketing in it but the course as a whole econ topics look more interesting than the rest of the business a level.
Also doesn’t econ Alevel have consumer behaviour too?

Hello!!

I am not sure about A-Level Economics, I would advise speaking to your advisor in school maybe or contacting the college directly. Maybe they can give you a breakdown of each course and the modules you will study, it may help shape your decision :smile: Best of luck whichever course you decide to do!!

Megan
Hi,
I'm currently doing Economics A-Level. I didn't do Business or Economics at GCSE - whilst the first week or two of the terminology can throw you off a bit, Economics is genuinely really fascinating and I find it helps me understand the news a lot more than I used to. I'd recommend it to anyone - from what I've heard from my own teachers, Economics seems to be a bit more valued than Business Studies at A-Level, although I'm not sure how true that really is.
Original post by Mkm5

omg do it! I was like that and i decided to take it. I am in year 2 and i LOVE economics so much. It is so relevant and interesting. It is sued in so many ways and makes you think about everyday life so much. I know it was hard when I first started to do it because it was new, but once I got the first few months out of the way everything started to make sense. It is such an interesting course, would really reccomend doing ti!!!

Quick Reply

Latest