The Student Room Group

Would this be Ageism? Any advice

A few years ago I had a head injury, the injury had caused a lot of set backs in my career. I have seizures and I got concussion from the accident. I am 25 years old and getting back on track with my career. Ive been applying to jobs after doing internships.

When my friends were 22& 23 yrs old they became junior designers. I am 25 yrs old and I haven't yet become a junior designer as I've been doing internships as well as getting therapy. I'm worried that employers would choose younger candidates for junior designer positions.

I fear they would perceive me as "lazy" because there is a gap of like 2years on my CV of where I the head injury. I honestly worked so hard, I still managed to finish my studies and graduate despite what had happend to me.

I just worry that employers would think I'm too old really to become a junior designer

I have recovered from the head injury but I still have seizures.

Do you have any useful advice? Thank you and be kind
(edited 3 years ago)
Reply 1
Original post by DS76
A few years ago I had a head injury, the injury had caused a lot of set backs in my career. I have seizures and I got concussion from the accident. I am 25 years old and getting back on track with my career. Ive been applying to jobs after doing internships.

When my friends were 22& 23 yrs old they became junior designers. I am 25 yrs old and I haven't yet become a junior designer as I've been doing internships as well as getting therapy. I'm worried that employers would choose younger candidates for junior designer positions.

I fear they would perceive me as "lazy" because there is a gap of like 2years on my CV of where I the head injury. I honestly worked so hard, I still managed to finish my studies and graduate despite what had happend to me.

I just worry that employers would think I'm too old really to become a junior designer

I have recovered from the head injury but I still have seizures.

Do you have any useful advice? Thank you and be kind

Hi, I wouldn’t say it’s ageism since unfortunately your head injury set you two years back. However, it sounds like you’re making good progress in your recovery and gaining experience through internships. I would make any company you apply to aware that you’ve had to take time off due to injury, as it’s always imperative to explain gaps on your CV. I would also make them aware that you still suffer from seizures so they can make any necessary adaptations
Original post by A1exei
Hi, I wouldn’t say it’s ageism since unfortunately your head injury set you two years back. However, it sounds like you’re making good progress in your recovery and gaining experience through internships. I would make any company you apply to aware that you’ve had to take time off due to injury, as it’s always imperative to explain gaps on your CV. I would also make them aware that you still suffer from seizures so they can make any necessary adaptations

Thank you for the advice

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending