The Student Room Group

bio help

Describe how the balance between the mass of food eaten and the amount of exercise a person does controls body mass
(edited 3 years ago)
Original post by lol9812
Describe how the balance between the mass of food eaten and the amount of exercise a person does controls body mass

I’ll answer this more by common knowledge than A Level Biology, because I can’t remember which topic this would relate to :tongue:

When a person eats food, the food is digested, absorbed and assimilated in the body. The carbohydrates is used for respiration, the fats are stored, and the proteins are used for a multitude of different things (like enzymes). These three macronutrients help compose a significant part of our body mass. Now note that ‘excess food’ beyond the required amount is stored. This means that greater food consumption = greater body mass.

Now, exercise requires your cells (especially muscle cells) for greater respiration of glucose, since exercise means more energy is required. It also makes use of fat stores in the body, and converts these fat stores (glycogen stores) to glucose so that our cells can respire them. Since exercise is causing a breakdown of ‘food stores’ in our body, it can follow that greater exercise = lesser the body mass.

Now focus at the bold underlined statement at the end. It’s clear that the balance of food eaten vs. exercise will lead to a control of body mass.

I am not sure if this is what the mark scheme was looking for but this is what I’ve written from general sense
Reply 2
Original post by qwert7890
I’ll answer this more by common knowledge than A Level Biology, because I can’t remember which topic this would relate to :tongue:

When a person eats food, the food is digested, absorbed and assimilated in the body. The carbohydrates is used for respiration, the fats are stored, and the proteins are used for a multitude of different things (like enzymes). These three macronutrients help compose a significant part of our body mass. Now note that ‘excess food’ beyond the required amount is stored. This means that greater food consumption = greater body mass.

Now, exercise requires your cells (especially muscle cells) for greater respiration of glucose, since exercise means more energy is required. It also makes use of fat stores in the body, and converts these fat stores (glycogen stores) to glucose so that our cells can respire them. Since exercise is causing a breakdown of ‘food stores’ in our body, it can follow that greater exercise = lesser the body mass.

Now focus at the bold underlined statement at the end. It’s clear that the balance of food eaten vs. exercise will lead to a control of body mass.

I am not sure if this is what the mark scheme was looking for but this is what I’ve written from general sense

I cant thank you enough for how much your saving my grades
Reply 3
hello !

im hoping some can help me,

im stuck on a questions - describe how endocytosis and exocytosis are used to move things into and out of cells .

any help would me greatly appreciated :smile:
Original post by Chloemin
hello !

im stuck on a questions - describe how endocytosis and exocytosis are used to move things into and out of cells .

Endo literally means = inside
Exo literally means = outside

So endocytosis is when substances are taken into the cell. There are two types of endocytosis:

1. Phagocytosis: “also called cell eating”. This is because phagocytosis causes engulfing of solid substance.

Basically the cell surface membrane folds towards the inside to create this sort of infolding which surrounds the solid substance. The cell surface membrane then changes it’s shape to completely surround the substance and take it into the cell, thereby forming a vacuole inside the call. I suggest you google a diagram of endocytosis so you get an idea.

2. The second type of endocytosis is called pinocytosis. This is also known as “cell drinking”, because it’s the uptake of liquids by the cell. The process is exactly same as above in phagocytosis, but the difference is that it’s liquid and the vacuoles formed are often smaller
hello !

Now coming to exocytosis.

It’s the reverse of endocytosis. Substances are moved out of the cell.

The substance to be transported is often surrounded by a vacuole. The vacuole then moves towards the cell surface membrane and fuses with it, thereby releasing the substance it was carrying out of the cell.

Again I’d recommend you google a diagram of exocytosis because it’s much easier to visualise and learn than simply learn by reading these concepts.
Reply 6
T

Now coming to exocytosis.

It’s the reverse of endocytosis. Substances are moved out of the cell.

The substance to be transported is often surrounded by a vacuole. The vacuole then moves towards the cell surface membrane and fuses with it, thereby releasing the substance it was carrying out of the cell.

Again I’d recommend you google a diagram of exocytosis because it’s much easier to visualise and learn than simply learn by reading these concepts.

Thank you so much! can you suggest any book /resources that may help me with the biology units, not going to lie biology really isn't one of my strengths
T

Thank you so much! can you suggest any book /resources that may help me with the biology units, not going to lie biology really isn't one of my strengths

Which board are you doing? It’s always best to go with the book that is endorsed by your board.
Reply 8
Also - it asks me to discuss the three main differences between active and passive transport

Active transport is different from passive transport as active transport is the movement of molecules against the concentration gradient, from low concentration to a high concentration . Active transport also requires chemical energy where passive transport does not. However I'm user of the third ?

any support would be grateful :smile:
Reply 9
Which board are you doing? It’s always best to go with the book that is endorsed by your board.

I am on an access course for nursing with distance learning centre
Also - it asks me to discuss the three main differences between active and passive transport

Active transport is different from passive transport as active transport is the movement of molecules against the concentration gradient, from low concentration to a high concentration . Active transport also requires chemical energy where passive transport does not. However I'm user of the third ?

any support would be grateful :smile:

Oh wow that's a tough one, because I'm struggling for a third reason myself :tongue:

perhaps the one thing I can think of is that in Active Transport, only carrier proteins are involved (and channel proteins are not).

Whereas in passive transport, either carrier or channel can be involved.
(edited 3 years ago)
Oh wow that's a tough one, because I'm struggling for a third reason myself :tongue:

perhaps the one thing I can think of is that in Active Transport, only carrier proteins are involved (and channel proteins are not).

Whereas in passive transport, either carrier or channel can be involved.

Thank you sooooooooo much :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending