The Student Room Group

Not paying TV licence?

My mum stopped paying TV licence and they've now sent a threat letter saying she'll be fined. Are these threats real most of the time?

I have no clue why the hell people even need to pay for a TV licence. One of the most ridiculous things I've ever heard.

Scroll to see replies

Yes, a TV licence is mandatory if you watch/possess a TV. Yes, people are prosecuted if they dont have one - 122,000 people in 2019.

The TV licence website gives links to organisations that can provide advice for those who cant afford it.

"If you don't have a licence or fail to repay your arrears, you could receive a court fine. It's a criminal offence to watch live TV or use BBC iPlayer unless you have a valid TV licence. Without one, you risk prosecution and can be issued a fine of up to £1,000, plus court costs".
Reply 2
Original post by Anonymous
Yes, a TV licence is mandatory if you watch/possess a TV.

False.
Reply 3
My mum stopped paying TV licence and they've now sent a threat letter saying she'll be fined. Are these threats real most of the time?

I have no clue why the hell people even need to pay for a TV licence. One of the most ridiculous things I've ever heard.

Why has she stopped paying? Do you as a household require a TV Licence?
Original post by IWMTom
False.

To be specific, there are a few groups entitled to discounts (such as the blind or 74+ in age) otherwise

The law says you need to be covered by a TV Licence to:

watch or record programmes as they’re being shown on TV, on any channel
watch or stream programmes live on an online TV service (such as ITV Hub, All 4, YouTube, Amazon Prime Video, Now TV, Sky Go, etc.)
download or watch any BBC programmes on BBC iPlayer.
This applies to any device you use, including a TV, desktop computer, laptop, mobile phone, tablet, games console, digital box or DVD/VHS recorder
Reply 5
To be specific, there are a few groups entitled to discounts (such as the blind or 74+ in age) otherwise

The law says you need to be covered by a TV Licence to:

watch or record programmes as they’re being shown on TV, on any channel
watch or stream programmes live on an online TV service (such as ITV Hub, All 4, YouTube, Amazon Prime Video, Now TV, Sky Go, etc.)
download or watch any BBC programmes on BBC iPlayer.
This applies to any device you use, including a TV, desktop computer, laptop, mobile phone, tablet, games console, digital box or DVD/VHS recorder

In other words, your statement was false.
Original post by IWMTom
In other words, your statement was false.

It was a condensed summary. But thanks for the feedback.
Reply 7
It was a condensed summary. But thanks for the feedback.

No, it was a false statement.
You do not need a TV Licence to possess a TV.
Original post by IWMTom
No, it was a false statement.
You do not need a TV Licence to possess a TV.

Thanks for feedback again, though you only provided your specific reservation after I posted fuller information. Hopefully when I have 12k posts under my belt like you I will be more efficient with the content and be able to post swift corrections.
Reply 9
Thanks for feedback again, though you only provided your specific reservation after I posted fuller information. Hopefully when I have 12k posts under my belt like you I will be more efficient with the content and be able to post swift corrections.

It'd also help if you didn't abuse the anon system if you want to stick around.....
Reply 10
I can imagine protests being held against paying TV licences.
Reply 11
Original post by Harlton
I can imagine protests being held against paying TV licences.

It's been around since 1946 and here we are......
Reply 12

You only need a TV licence to watch or record live TV, or use BBC iplayer. You do not need a TV licence if you only use non-BBC streaming services such as Netflix, as long as it isn't live.

No one can be fined just for not having a TV licence, they need to visit your home and check what you are doing. This is how people get caught. Just remember not to engage any TV licence "inspector" (sales person), just politely say "no thanks" and shut the door. That is the easiest way to deal with it. You can register online as not needing one, but you are under no obligation to do so.
(edited 3 years ago)
Yes, a TV licence is mandatory if you watch/possess a TV.

You don't need a TV licence to possess a TV. That's a common myth, very misleading.

Most young people I know just watch Netflix or stuff online - you can own a TV without needing a licence for that.
Original post by IWMTom
Do you as a household require a TV Licence?

No, in terms of watching live TV, we don't care
Reply 15
No, in terms of watching live TV, we don't care

So you do not watch any live TV, or use BBC iPlayer?
Original post by IWMTom
So you do not watch any live TV, or use BBC iPlayer?

Well, because it's available on our TV, we watch it when we put the TV on occasionally. But we have no issue with if it wasn't available for us to watch.
Well, because it's available on our TV, we watch it when we put the TV on occasionally. But we have no issue with if it wasn't available for us to watch.

In that case yes, you need a licence and risk prosecution.
Original post by StriderHort
In that case yes, you need a licence and risk prosecution.

Okay, so what do we do? We don't need the licence, like I said. How can the live free TV channels be removed from our TV?
Okay, so what do we do? We don't need the licence, like I said. How can the live free TV channels be removed from our TV?

You buy a licence or wait for the knock on the door. If your TV is setup to receive BBC or you use their online videos/on demand you do need one, that's kind of the point, they're NOT free.

Personally I don't have a licence but my TV genuinely isn't connected to an antenna/freeview box and I don't watch BBC/ondemand, so the licence inspector gets stopped at the door and asked to leave.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending