The Student Room Group

Aqa A-level Sociology Revision

Hi all!
I'm having trouble with a sociology exam question, any help would be appreciated! :smile:

Item A
Businesses compete with each other to attract customers. Another route to success for businesses is to provide unique products for their customers. The introduction of marketisation policies into the state education system means that schools are being run like businesses.

Applying material from Item A, analyse two ways in which marketisation policies have led to schools being run like businesses. (10 marks)
(edited 2 years ago)
Sorry you've not had any responses about this. :frown: Are you sure you've posted in the right place? :smile: Here's a link to our subject forum which should help get you more responses if you post there. :redface:
Hey this is the same question I’m struggling with Did u manage to do it?
Original post by Adumi
Hi all!
I'm having trouble with a sociology exam question, any help would be appreciated! :smile:

Item A
Businesses compete with each other to attract customers. Another route to success for businesses is to provide unique products for their customers. The introduction of marketisation policies into the state education system means that schools are being run like businesses.

Applying material from Item A, analyse two ways in which marketisation policies have led to schools being run like businesses. (10 marks)

Hey this is the same question I’m struggling with Did you manage to do it?
hey! did you ever get the answer? asking because i'm struggling too.
Reply 5
Item A states that ‘businesses compete with each other to attract customers which relate to marketisation policies and how schools are now being run like a business. Due to education policies from the 1980s schools were encouraged to compete against each other. For instance, the new right marketisation policies created an education market where schools are now forced to respond to the needs of teachers, parents and pupils like a private business instead of having the state control the education system. Marketisation in education includes league tables, funding formulas, cream-skimming and silt shifting. For example, schools having exam league tables ensures schools that achieve good results would be in more demand from parents who'd be attracted to that school if they have a good league table ranking. This shows that marketisation policies had led to schools being run like a business as the more the business has an attractive image the more people would want to buy from it and thats exactly what exam league tables do as the more the more attractive high grades the school has the more likely a parent would sign there child to go there

Quick Reply

Latest