The Student Room Group

Britain vs American

What Food, drinks etc does Britain have and America doesn't. OR. America does and Britain doesn't.
Reply 1
For example
Hershys chocolate bar;
Britain: cookie and creme and milk chocolate
America; EVERYTHING ELSE
America doesn't have Nando's, Ribena, yorkshire pudding, Cadbury's, prawn cocktail crisps
Americans have TomAEtoes but we have ToMAAAAtoes
Reply 4
America; quality plugs, Goldfish
Britain; **** knows, cheddar crackers
Britain has scotch eggs, America doesn’t i don’t think 🤔
Original post by Asha_m
America doesn't have Nando's, Ribena, yorkshire pudding, Cadbury's, prawn cocktail crisps

There is definitely Nando's in America (which I might point out is a South African restaurant chain, not a British one), and you can get everything else listed there except maybe prawn cocktail crisps. Cadbury's there tastes different because it's made differently though I think.
Original post by artful_lounger
There is definitely Nando's in America (which I might point out is a South African restaurant chain, not a British one), and you can get everything else listed there except maybe prawn cocktail crisps. Cadbury's there tastes different because it's made differently though I think.

Really? lol I had no idea. My cousins over there had no clue what Ribena and Yorkshire pudding was when I asked. Maybe they're available but not as widely spread or known?
(edited 2 years ago)
Reply 8
Idk how true this is but apparently kfc in America doesn’t have fries whereas the ones in Britain do
fruit squashes arent a thing in America
Original post by Asha_m
Really? lol I had no idea. My cousins over there had no clue what Ribena and Yorkshire pudding was when I asked. Maybe they're available but not as widely spread or known?

Pretty sure they have blackcurrant juice from concentrate available over there (they just might not be familiar with the specific brand of Ribena), although I doubt it's as popular as e.g. apple or cranberry or grape juice which as I recall were more favoured there. They call Yorkshire puddings popovers in the US (they're slightly differently shaped when they come out of the oven but it's literally the same recipe). Probably more of a linguistic issue than the actual foodstuffs not existing in some form there; they're just called different things.
Reply 11
Everything is everywhere in this small world
Reply 12
Original post by Ten-Ten
Idk how true this is but apparently kfc in America doesn’t have fries whereas the ones in Britain do

They do have fries. But our large is the medium, adn they have xlarge fries.
Lol heres the link to this yt video I watched.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-lkCsKXAxfo
Greggs, a peri-peri shop on every corner, quality plugs (@Foxehh :wink:)
Original post by Foxehh
quality plugs

We've been through this :colonhash:
Reply 14
Original post by Vapordave
Greggs, a peri-peri shop on every corner, quality plugs (@Foxehh :wink:)

I wish you could report posts for being painstakingly wrong. You're verging on the line of misinformation.
Original post by Foxehh
I wish you could report posts for being painstakingly wrong. You're verging on the line of misinformation.

Tom Scott said it, so it must be true.
America doesn't have me and I'm a snacc in and of itself :wink:

Spoiler

US has:
family run mexican diners/street food.
Penut butter cracker sandwiches
Lots lots more
Original post by artful_lounger
Pretty sure they have blackcurrant juice from concentrate available over there (they just might not be familiar with the specific brand of Ribena), although I doubt it's as popular as e.g. apple or cranberry or grape juice which as I recall were more favoured there. They call Yorkshire puddings popovers in the US (they're slightly differently shaped when they come out of the oven but it's literally the same recipe). Probably more of a linguistic issue than the actual foodstuffs not existing in some form there; they're just called different things.

Kinda random but apparently blackcurrants were banned in USA until 2003?
Oh, it makes sense now about the language.

Quick Reply

Latest