The Student Room Group

False accusations

Well this is a weird situation & im kinda shook up. a friend of mine has a crazy possessive ex, he doesn’t want to be with her anymore & broke from her over a year ago. She harassed him for a while & just recently she has went to police saying he raped her & this bit really shook me she has said I joined in... the only interaction I had with her was me saying nice to meet you, that’s it! Like how can someone just be allowed to make any serious allegations like that with zero evidence and full on knowing you are making up lies. What a truly disgusting thing to do. Evil nasty person.
Anyways my friend was interviewed, he said her statement was full of lies and he picked it apart & they asked for my name and number but haven’t called. Btw the sex they had was consensual, my friend is like a really timid harmless person, she’s just angry he don’t want to be with her, she also seems tapped in the head from what he’s said.
I’m really stressing, what hurts more is knowing that this is so so unfair and wrong.
I’m trying to ease my mind so I’ve got a question, can someone charge you with rape with zero evidence?
Like I’m thinking no way they can otherwise I could go out tomorrow and claim any random person raped me, like that’s totally ridiculous.
I have bad anxiety so this is really messing with my head 😔

Scroll to see replies

If your name is clear, you have nothing to worry about. Innocent until proven guilty. 🙂
Reply 2
What I don’t get is why is she also trying to drag me into this? For saying hello nice to meet you, wtf? What really annoys me is she knows 100% that she’s lying and won’t be punished for it
Original post by Anonymous
Well this is a weird situation & im kinda shook up. a friend of mine has a crazy possessive ex, he doesn’t want to be with her anymore & broke from her over a year ago. She harassed him for a while & just recently she has went to police saying he raped her & this bit really shook me she has said I joined in... the only interaction I had with her was me saying nice to meet you, that’s it! Like how can someone just be allowed to make any serious allegations like that with zero evidence and full on knowing you are making up lies. What a truly disgusting thing to do. Evil nasty person.
Anyways my friend was interviewed, he said her statement was full of lies and he picked it apart & they asked for my name and number but haven’t called. Btw the sex they had was consensual, my friend is like a really timid harmless person, she’s just angry he don’t want to be with her, she also seems tapped in the head from what he’s said.
I’m really stressing, what hurts more is knowing that this is so so unfair and wrong.
I’m trying to ease my mind so I’ve got a question, can someone charge you with rape with zero evidence?
Like I’m thinking no way they can otherwise I could go out tomorrow and claim any random person raped me, like that’s totally ridiculous.
I have bad anxiety so this is really messing with my head 😔

No, you cannot be charged with rape with zero evidence, otherwise like you said, anyone can go to the police tomorrow and claim rape. It’s like any other case and trial, you need evidence. If there are no evidence towards your friend, he will be fine.
Reply 4
No, you cannot be charged with rape with zero evidence, otherwise like you said, anyone can go to the police tomorrow and claim rape. It’s like any other case and trial, you need evidence. If there are no evidence towards your friend, he will be fine.

I think I scared myself when reading online on forums where I seen some people claiming they got charged with no proof. I hope you are right, this has really shook me.
Welcome to the "metoo" era. She will, of course, not face any consequences.
Reply 6
Original post by Bumble18
If your name is clear, you have nothing to worry about. Innocent until proven guilty. 🙂

I’m trying to keep reminding myself that I shouldn’t worry as I know I’ve done nothing wrong but my anxiety is somehow making me worry like I have to prove I’m innocent or they are gonna try push it with no evidence. Maybe I’m being too paranoid, it’s just a *****y unlucky situation.
You won’t be charged and neither will your friend. As you say, her statement was a pack of lies and picked apart. No way the CPS would recommend this to go to trial, you’re safe. It really is vile and horrendous the lengths some bitter and vindictive exes will go to. Makes me sick thinking there are people who actually do this crap.
Reply 8
Original post by Chief Wiggum
Welcome to the "metoo" era. She will, of course, not face any consequences.

Yeah tell me about it, I feel so angry and sad at the same time, yet there’s nothing I can do. I’m really worrying like could something come of this even though I’m totally innocent. What kind of person does this to someone who only said hello. The worlds so messed up. Like I’m gonna be stressed over this for the coming months for doing nothing & as you said she’ll walk free with not even a fine. Ridiculous.
The law needs to be updated to dish out serious penalties to those who make false allegations as these can destroy lives.
Original post by Celtic Conjurer
You won’t be charged and neither will your friend. As you say, her statement was a pack of lies and picked apart. No way the CPS would recommend this to go to trial, you’re safe. It really is vile and horrendous the lengths some bitter and vindictive exes will go to. Makes me sick thinking there are people who actually do this crap.

Thank you. It’s just weird I don’t feel safe, it’s really messed with my head. It is sick, tbh it’s put me off relationships or approaching women, like I literally only said hello nice to meet you and I get hit with this **** 😔
Original post by Celtic Conjurer
The law needs to be updated to dish out serious penalties to those who make false allegations as these can destroy lives.

I agree 100%
How can I not worry about this? Even though I know I’m innocent I feel so worried & under threat somehow, I find it so tough.
Ok wow this wasn’t the answer I wanted but what I feared. How can this be allowed? Like going to jail for saying hello to someone? Wtf.

My friend has already been interviewed, they asked for my number but haven’t called. My friend said he’s attorney thinks she has no case. Surely they can’t take people to court over someone just saying they were raped with zero evidence.
Reply 14
the burden of proof is beyond reasonable doubt in a criminal trial. that means a jury must be certain there is no other explanation for the incident and so the CPS will not prosecute if there's little chance of conviction because it's not with it. only 1.5 percent of reported rapes lead to charges, so stop panicking.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/amp.theguardian.com/law/2019/jul/26/rape-cases-charge-summons-prosecutions-victims-england-wales
(edited 2 years ago)
Ok wow this wasn’t the answer I wanted but what I feared. How can this be allowed? Like going to jail for saying hello to someone? Wtf.

My friend has already been interviewed, they asked for my number but haven’t called. My friend said he’s attorney thinks she has no case. Surely they can’t take people to court over someone just saying they were raped with zero evidence.

I had something of a similar nature happen to me. It wasn't as serious as yours, but this girl whose sexual advances I turned down spread some outrageous rumours around school and everyone believed it without a second thought. Years later, I'm still traumatised. Final Fantasy is correct. Contact a solicitor and collect any and all evidence against her. They have committed serious crimes (perverting the court of justice + wasting police time) which could potentially follow. You are also able to sue her following the investigation, which if you are able to do, I recommend considering. Defend yourself, then look to gain justice (otherwise this will eat away at you for years).

Don't let her get away with this. Scum.
But I haven’t even been contacted? My friend was given a free attorney & the attorney said if the police contact me to contact him.
They have zero evidence with me as I don’t even know her, we don’t talk or nothing, she doesn’t have my number or anything. The only interaction we had was me being introduced to her by my friend who she was dating, that’s it. I don’t understand how I could be possibly convicted when it’s just a made up lie with no evidence?
also I don’t have money for a solicitor and I might not need one if I’m not even contacted. Surely people cannot be prosecuted with no evidence as thats just wrong on so many levels.
Original post by Joleee
the burden of proof is beyond reasonable doubt in a criminal trial. that means a jury must be certain there is no other explanation for the incident and so the CPS will not prosecute if there's little chance of conviction because it's not with it. only 1.5 percent of reported rapes lead to charges, so stop panicking.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/amp.theguardian.com/law/2019/jul/26/rape-cases-charge-summons-prosecutions-victims-england-wales

How can I not panic look these latest replies. I’ve done nothing wrong but because of a lie could be taken to trial. This ***** messed up.
Original post by Joleee

He can still be held under suspicion for a day pending evidence, with the requirements to later appear for questioning. Even if he is arrested and released on police/conditional bail, he still loses a lot of rights.
But I haven’t even been contacted? My friend was given a free attorney & the attorney said if the police contact me to contact him.
They have zero evidence with me as I don’t even know her, we don’t talk or nothing, she doesn’t have my number or anything. The only interaction we had was me being introduced to her by my friend who she was dating, that’s it. I don’t understand how I could be possibly convicted when it’s just a made up lie with no evidence?
also I don’t have money for a solicitor and I might not need one if I’m not even contacted. Surely people cannot be prosecuted with no evidence as thats just wrong on so many levels.

It's unlikely you'll be prosecuted without evidence, but you can still be arrested for a short period and have restrictions until your hearing. That said, I'd advise you to collect any evidence/consider any possible witnesses as if she's capable of doing this, I wouldn't put it past her to fabricate something.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending