The Student Room Group
Inside University of Bristol
University of Bristol
Bristol

Durham or Bristol???

I really can't pick between Durham and Bristol!! It's coming up on the student finance deadline (21st May I think) so im getting stressed but I really can't pick and need some advice.

I've visited both and although they are quite different I do like both of them.

COURSE:
Durham=Natural sciences, means I have a wide range of modules to choose from, would probs do Bio/Maths (can only do 1st year :frown: )/chem possibly with a language as well. I like the modules, and it's a prestigious uni so the teaching should be good right?

Bristol= Physiological science, basically biological/biomedical sciences, i'm not so interested in medical stuff but there is a range of modules ie biochem/chemistry and maths in 1st year and a chance to study psychology which is interesting (also a language in 2nd year). does anyone know if the course is very medical-based?? cause idk. the course offers less biology stuff ie genetics but idk if the addition of psychology makes up for that, which i wouldn't do at durham.

so the courses are pretty similar

CITIES:
Bristol seems to be a livelier city with lots to do, i don't know which halls to apply for though, as stoke bishop looks good but is far away from the centre. Durham does have nice pubs and shops and things, is a little quieter but i like that everything is in walking distance, and my college (St Cuth's) is in a good location. (im a bit scared of the tories there though lmao)

Bristol is also closer to home/my boyfriend (goes to UWE), which I know isn't everything but it is nice. Durham is 5/6 hours away but it's not a terrible journey, just a bit long.

IM SO STUCK!! they're similar rankings, Durham is probs higher overall but Bristol is well known for science so I can't even go off of that.

help please!!!
I think you already know which you going to pick in the back of your mind, Bristol.

Both are great academically so I would think about what advantages place them apart. For instance, which is more accessible/most fun/better all round experience/provides the most benefits to you individually. You'd have fun at both so think about the small upsides that would just make your experience that much better (im thinking about your boyfriend, how near home it is to see family, how much you enjoy the company of Bristolians)
(edited 2 years ago)
Inside University of Bristol
University of Bristol
Bristol
Original post by unihelpplss
I really can't pick between Durham and Bristol!! It's coming up on the student finance deadline (21st May I think) so im getting stressed but I really can't pick and need some advice.

COURSE:
Durham=Natural sciences, means I have a wide range of modules to choose from, would probs do Bio/Maths (can only do 1st year :frown: )/chem possibly with a language as well. I like the modules, and it's a prestigious uni so the teaching should be good right?

Bristol= Physiological science, basically biological/biomedical sciences, i'm not so interested in medical stuff but there is a range of modules ie biochem/chemistry and maths in 1st year and a chance to study psychology which is interesting (also a language in 2nd year). does anyone know if the course is very medical-based?? cause idk. the course offers less biology stuff ie genetics but idk if the addition of psychology makes up for that, which i wouldn't do at durham.

CITIES:
Bristol seems to be a livelier city with lots to do, i don't know which halls to apply for though, as stoke bishop looks good but is far away from the centre. Durham does have nice pubs and shops and things, is a little quieter but i like that everything is in walking distance, and my college (St Cuth's) is in a good location. (im a bit scared of the tories there though lmao)

Bristol is also closer to home/my boyfriend (goes to UWE), which I know isn't everything but it is nice. Durham is 5/6 hours away but it's not a terrible journey, just a bit long.

IM SO STUCK!! they're similar rankings, Durham is probs higher overall but Bristol is well known for science so I can't even go off of that.

help please!!!

Durham
Reply 3
Original post by Wired_1800
Durham

any reasonings???
any reasonings???

More prestigious imho. Also has a wide range of offerings based on your comments, so you could probably get more out of your course content.
Does your offer for Durham natsci include chemistry? As I recall due to fixed limits on lab space, they can't guarantee all applicants may be able to study chemistry, so your offer should indicate if this is included. If not you will most likely be unable to take chemistry modules, so that is something to consider. If you are unsure you may want to contact them to check.
(edited 2 years ago)
Reply 6
Original post by artful_lounger
Does your offer for Durham natsci include chemistry? As I recall due to fixed limits on lab space, they can't guarantee all applicants may be able to study chemistry, so your offer should indicate if this is included. If not you will most likely be unable to take chemistry modules, so that is something to consider. If you are unsure you may want to contact them to check.

it does! i think i'm leaning more towards bristol atm as it's just something new, durham does remind me of my old school, even course-wise - i basically couldn't decide on a levels so took sciences maths and languages, so i don't want to be in the same situation in 3/4 years where i still haven't found anything i love
Reply 7
Original post by oracleofdelphi
I think you already know which you going to pick in the back of your mind, Bristol.

Both are great academically so I would think about what advantages place them apart. For instance, which is more accessible/most fun/better all round experience/provides the most benefits to you individually. You'd have fun at both so think about the small upsides that would just make your experience that much better (im thinking about your boyfriend, how near home it is to see family, how much you enjoy the company of Bristolians)

thanks!

COURSE:

CITIES:

help please!!!

I had the exact same dilemma - I ended up choosing Bristol. I had the similar reasons as you, but overall in terms of prestige I think they're on similar footing, and the sciences teaching and research at Bristol are well-known to be excellent. I'm doing Biochemistry at the moment and will be graduating this year - I've had an amazing three years here and would do it all over again. The nightlife is amazing, Bristol as a city is just so nice, and the general vibe of the students is very work-hard-play-hard. I know I just said this but genuinely the teaching is brilliant (especially in the medical and life sciences i.e. med/biochem/phys/pharm/neuro etc.).

My friends at Durham say it's a mixed bag - it would suit some students but it definitely wasn't the fit for me, and having a few places up the league tables wasn't going to win me over. If you do like the collegiate aspect and smaller/quieter vibe then yes, go for Durham, but I personally wanted to be in a bigger city and have more to do. It sucks because of COVID-19 but I think actually visiting the cities helps massively - as soon as I came to Bristol I knew I wanted to come here over Durham, and vice versa for my mates. I would argue that each uni suits different people!

Let me know if you have any questions. Oh, and I was in Stoke Bishop in first year, and honestly it's a 10min bus journey from campus (and the bus pass is included in your rent). So not bad at all and I had a great time. If you do want to be closer then there's Clifton/City Centre but I would really recommend SB!

Best of luck with your upcoming exams!
Original post by Anonymous
I had the exact same dilemma - I ended up choosing Bristol. I had the similar reasons as you, but overall in terms of prestige I think they're on similar footing, and the sciences teaching and research at Bristol are well-known to be excellent. I'm doing Biochemistry at the moment and will be graduating this year - I've had an amazing three years here and would do it all over again. The nightlife is amazing, Bristol as a city is just so nice, and the general vibe of the students is very work-hard-play-hard. I know I just said this but genuinely the teaching is brilliant (especially in the medical and life sciences i.e. med/biochem/phys/pharm/neuro etc.).

My friends at Durham say it's a mixed bag - it would suit some students but it definitely wasn't the fit for me, and having a few places up the league tables wasn't going to win me over. If you do like the collegiate aspect and smaller/quieter vibe then yes, go for Durham, but I personally wanted to be in a bigger city and have more to do. It sucks because of COVID-19 but I think actually visiting the cities helps massively - as soon as I came to Bristol I knew I wanted to come here over Durham, and vice versa for my mates. I would argue that each uni suits different people!

Let me know if you have any questions. Oh, and I was in Stoke Bishop in first year, and honestly it's a 10min bus journey from campus (and the bus pass is included in your rent). So not bad at all and I had a great time. If you do want to be closer then there's Clifton/City Centre but I would really recommend SB!

Best of luck with your upcoming exams!

thanks so much!! I actually ended up going for bristol and from what you've said i'm now feeling really good about it! where were you in SB if you don't mind me asking? I'm now trying to sort out halls and have the classic SB vs centre/ catered vs self-catered decisions- i've heard hiatt self-catered is pretty nice
thanks so much!! I actually ended up going for bristol and from what you've said i'm now feeling really good about it! where were you in SB if you don't mind me asking? I'm now trying to sort out halls and have the classic SB vs centre/ catered vs self-catered decisions- i've heard hiatt self-catered is pretty nice

I have two kids at Bristol (economics and engineering). Both have been in Stoke Bishop and loved it there, especially with the Downs. One was in Churchill and one is currently in Badock, both catered. They were very happy with their Halls although Churchill is a bit separated from the other SB halls and they tend to get a different bus, so they don’t mix with the other halls quite as much. Both said they’d recommend Hiatt Baker self catered, although it’s very hard to get into. You have to give 9 choices on your application although different room types both count towards your 9. Both got their first choice, but with Hiatt Baker you often don’t.
(edited 2 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending