The Student Room Group

moving sixth form? (grammar to private)

hi, i’ve just been given a place at a private co-ed sixth form, i’m currently at a all girls grammar skl, and i’m not sure whether to take the place. education, facilities, future career wise it’s a no brainer, i would no doubt get better a levels at this new sixth form and it would be a much easier transition to uni considering the support i would be given. however my main concern is integrating into the new yr, and how easy it is to make friends with previously established groups, i am quite a confident person and don’t struggle making new friends in general, there is also around 50 new pupils who join the skl, but i’m also happy where i am and have a good group of friends at my current skl (no one rlly moves to a new sixth form from the grammar so i’m worried also that their bonds would just get stronger and leave me behind, while i am unhappy with no friends for 2 yrs), any opinions, advice or experiences would be greatly appreciated. (tbh i rlly want u do say it was the best decision u took to move or somthing lol) (also sorry for the length of this) thanks so so so much :smile:))
Original post by clem101839474
hi, i’ve just been given a place at a private co-ed sixth form, i’m currently at a all girls grammar skl, and i’m not sure whether to take the place. education, facilities, future career wise it’s a no brainer, i would no doubt get better a levels at this new sixth form and it would be a much easier transition to uni considering the support i would be given. however my main concern is integrating into the new yr, and how easy it is to make friends with previously established groups, i am quite a confident person and don’t struggle making new friends in general, there is also around 50 new pupils who join the skl, but i’m also happy where i am and have a good group of friends at my current skl (no one rlly moves to a new sixth form from the grammar so i’m worried also that their bonds would just get stronger and leave me behind, while i am unhappy with no friends for 2 yrs), any opinions, advice or experiences would be greatly appreciated. (tbh i rlly want u do say it was the best decision u took to move or somthing lol) (also sorry for the length of this) thanks so so so much :smile:))

Hey! I started at an all girls grammar school too and I moved schools for sixth form (from said school to an all boys grammar school that has a slightly mixed sixth form). If you are confident and don't struggle making friends you will really easily make new friend groups and will really enjoy sixth form. I hated school until I moved to sixth form and now I love it as I have so many great people around me and love my subjects. I wouldn't worry about not having any friends especially if there are many new people joining (only 8 girls transferred to my school and I was the only one from my old school and I still made amazing friends). Quite a few people from my old friend group moved and are still close with everyone (I unfortunately had to cut ties with them but that is a whole other story lol) so don't worry about your friends leaving you.

If you know that this private school is better then GO FOR IT! You won't regret it if it gives you much better opportunities :smile:
Original post by PhantomMercy
Hey! I started at an all girls grammar school too and I moved schools for sixth form (from said school to an all boys grammar school that has a slightly mixed sixth form). If you are confident and don't struggle making friends you will really easily make new friend groups and will really enjoy sixth form. I hated school until I moved to sixth form and now I love it as I have so many great people around me and love my subjects. I wouldn't worry about not having any friends especially if there are many new people joining (only 8 girls transferred to my school and I was the only one from my old school and I still made amazing friends). Quite a few people from my old friend group moved and are still close with everyone (I unfortunately had to cut ties with them but that is a whole other story lol) so don't worry about your friends leaving you.

If you know that this private school is better then GO FOR IT! You won't regret it if it gives you much better opportunities :smile:

OMG thank u so much!!!! i honestly think i’m gonna go for it, uve actually helped so much, thanks so much for sharing ur experience it rlly gave me peace of mind and confidence that i can go and have fun!! p.s. i’m rlly sorry u had to cut ties with those old friends, they obviously didn’t deserve u :smile: :smile:
Original post by clem101839474
OMG thank u so much!!!! i honestly think i’m gonna go for it, uve actually helped so much, thanks so much for sharing ur experience it rlly gave me peace of mind and confidence that i can go and have fun!! p.s. i’m rlly sorry u had to cut ties with those old friends, they obviously didn’t deserve u :smile: :smile:

Thank you! I'm glad I could help :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending