The Student Room Group

Have to choose firm and insurance and regretting both

Hi, I have offers to study Biology at university from Oxford university (which I was going to have as my firm), as well as Sheffield and Manchester (which I was going to choose between for my insurance). As I think about it more, I really don’t know if biology is the right course for me. I can’t really see it going anywhere after my degree and whenever someone asks me what course I’m doing next year, I almost feel silly saying biology because it doesn’t feel like me, if that makes sense? I’m wondering whether oxford and Cambridge are really just overrated and a part of me worrying is feeling like I have to accept my oxford offer because ‘who wouldn’t’. I love to talk about music or history or other topics, but biology feels very different to those and not like something I get as excited about.

The problem is I currently don’t feel like any other course is right for me either. I used to want to study languages, and my Manchester course is biology with mandarin. Previously I had planned to learn languages, as well as coding and maybe even UX design, during my degree to use as other possibilities for jobs. But now it seems ridiculous to be doing a degree I’m not sure is right for me, only to be learning skills I actually want to pursue in my free time. But then I don’t even know if those are right for me either. Worst of all, my deadline for confirming my choices is in 4 days :/

Despite what I’ve said, I have actually found biology really interesting in the past, enough to have wanted to apply for it. But now part of me thinks I applied because I thought I’d be able to get into oxford with it, which is a stupid reason in the first place. I’m very stuck and wish I just had more time.

I think to sum it up I think along the lines of: ‘I could apply for any university course, and I’ve applied for biology. That doesn’t feel like the best use of that opportunity but I have no clue what the right next move would be’

Sorry for rambling but I’d be grateful for any advice
(edited 2 years ago)
Original post by mmikolajmm
Hi, I have offers to study Biology at university from Oxford university (which I was going to have as my firm), as well as Sheffield and Manchester (which I was going to choose between for my insurance). As I think about it more, I really don’t know if biology is the right course for me. I can’t really see it going anywhere after my degree and whenever someone asks me what course I’m doing next year, I almost feel silly saying biology because it doesn’t feel like me, if that makes sense? I’m wondering whether oxford and Cambridge are really just overrated and a part of me worrying is feeling like I have to accept my oxford offer because ‘who wouldn’t’. I love to talk about music or history or other topics, but biology feels very different to those and not like something I get as excited about.

The problem is I currently don’t feel like any other course is right for me either. I used to want to study languages, and my Manchester course is biology with mandarin. Previously I had planned to learn languages, as well as coding and maybe even UX design, during my degree to use as other possibilities for jobs. But now it seems ridiculous to be doing a degree I’m not sure is right for me, only to be learning skills I actually want to pursue in my free time. But then I don’t even know if those are right for me either. Worst of all, my deadline for confirming my choices is in 4 days :/

Despite what I’ve said, I have actually found biology really interesting in the past, enough to have wanted to apply for it. But now part of me thinks I applied because I thought I’d be able to get into oxford with it, which is a stupid reason in the first place. I’m very stuck and wish I just had more time.

I think to sum it up I think along the lines of: ‘I could apply for any university course, and I’ve applied for biology. That doesn’t feel like the best use of that opportunity but I have no clue what the right next move would be’

Sorry for rambling but I’d be grateful for any advice

First of all, massive congrats for getting into oxford - that’s seriously impressive. With regards to the course, the fact that you do find it interesting is promising - even if you think it might not be the right course for you, there is a lot you can do with a science based degree e.g research, teaching/lecturing, lab work etc and there’s always post-grad degrees you could do after your degree if you wanted to go down a different route. At the end of the day, a degree from Oxford will have you sorted for life and I’m sure you could do a languages module/course on the side if that really interests you or learn a language in your free time. Even if you did a term and decided you’d really made a huge mistake you could leave and reapply for a different course for next year. Biology at degree level will be very different to A-level and will probably have much more scope for research/practicals & choosing where you want to go with it etc. You’ll always be really employable with any oxbridge degree but you’ve also got to think about whether the oxford environment will be right for you - whatever you decide you can always change your mind further down the line, best of luck :smile: xx
Its very normal to get cold feet at this stage and wonder if you have picked the right course / the right Uni.
There are thousands of people all over the UK thinking exactly the same thing right now - a mixture of apprehension, excitement, nervousness, etc etc. This is *very* normal. Once you get to Uni, start your course, get stuck into social stuff, make friends, enjoy being away from home etc, you'll wonder what you were so worried about, promise.

Biology is a good degree - its flexible and you can do a vast range of units within any degree at any Uni, and you will change interest areas as you progress through the degree. Its also hugely employable - and your career could go in a thousand different directions. See https://www.prospects.ac.uk/careers-advice/what-can-i-do-with-my-degree/biology or https://www.sussex.ac.uk/study/careers/graduate-jobs/what-to-do-with-your-degree/what-to-do-with-a-biology-degree
Reply 3
Original post by Rosie0137
First of all, massive congrats for getting into oxford - that’s seriously impressive. With regards to the course, the fact that you do find it interesting is promising - even if you think it might not be the right course for you, there is a lot you can do with a science based degree e.g research, teaching/lecturing, lab work etc and there’s always post-grad degrees you could do after your degree if you wanted to go down a different route. At the end of the day, a degree from Oxford will have you sorted for life and I’m sure you could do a languages module/course on the side if that really interests you or learn a language in your free time. Even if you did a term and decided you’d really made a huge mistake you could leave and reapply for a different course for next year. Biology at degree level will be very different to A-level and will probably have much more scope for research/practicals & choosing where you want to go with it etc. You’ll always be really employable with any oxbridge degree but you’ve also got to think about whether the oxford environment will be right for you - whatever you decide you can always change your mind further down the line, best of luck :smile: xx

Hi, thanks for the response! It helped quite a lot and helped me remember why I chose my course in the first place :smile:
Reply 4
Original post by McGinger
Its very normal to get cold feet at this stage and wonder if you have picked the right course / the right Uni.
There are thousands of people all over the UK thinking exactly the same thing right now - a mixture of apprehension, excitement, nervousness, etc etc. This is *very* normal. Once you get to Uni, start your course, get stuck into social stuff, make friends, enjoy being away from home etc, you'll wonder what you were so worried about, promise.

Biology is a good degree - its flexible and you can do a vast range of units within any degree at any Uni, and you will change interest areas as you progress through the degree. Its also hugely employable - and your career could go in a thousand different directions. See https://www.prospects.ac.uk/careers-advice/what-can-i-do-with-my-degree/biology or https://www.sussex.ac.uk/study/careers/graduate-jobs/what-to-do-with-your-degree/what-to-do-with-a-biology-degree

Hi, thanks for the response! After having a think, I feel as if I may just be having cold feet. I'm planning to go visit Oxford as well as Manchester in the next few days so hopefully that will help me feel more sure of my decision.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending