The Student Room Group

Uniform / Dress code at London Academy of Excellence Tottenham ( LAET )

I am a male who is attending LAET in september and i'm not sure what clothes to buy. Currently, what I know so far is that the dresscode is 'smart attire'. What I don't know, is what that means. I sent an email to them, asking a few questions and got a vague answer, but what I now know is that ties are required but any can be worn and that jeans/trainers aren't allowed.
I would like to know the specifics of the dresscode, like literally, the specifics.
For example, are blazers compulsory? Are collar shirts compulsory? What colour clothing can I wear? What else do LAET make compulsory to wear and what can you wear that is comfortable?
I would like some suggestions on what to buy because I honestly have no idea and I dont want to show up wearing something more buisness-like than needed or on the otherhand something too casual.
Thanks.

Scroll to see replies

Anyone?
hey there i go LAET yr 12 currently but im a girl so cant help u much

however ik what the boys roughly wear:
- shirt with blazer and smart trousers
- hoodies are not allowed, if they see you with one they ask you to remove it or some teachers confiscate (some boys still wear it tho)
- not alot of boys wear ties tbh so if u dont wear it it wont be a big deal tbf
- for colours it can be any colour but like nothing bright

essentially you should be dressed well enough to go to an interview at university but honestly there not as strict as they say

hope this helped!
Original post by lolaemma

- hoodies are not allowed, if they see you with one they ask you to remove it or some teachers confiscate (some boys still wear it tho)

essentially you should be dressed well enough to go to an interview at university but honestly there not as strict as they say

hope this helped!

Thank you for your response. You mentioned that we aren’t allowed anything bright. I was considering getting a light grey blazer and trousers. Is this too bright?
Original post by AimPerfectly
Thank you for your response. You mentioned that we aren’t allowed anything bright. I was considering getting a light grey blazer and trousers. Is this too bright?

thats completely fine! i meant yellow and colours like that :biggrin: but that looks suitable (although the boys tend to wear darker colours such as black, dark blue, dark green - this is not a compulsion by the school rules tho, ur uniform should be fine!)
thats completely fine! i meant yellow and colours like that :biggrin: but that looks suitable (although the boys tend to wear darker colours such as black, dark blue, dark green - this is not a compulsion by the school rules tho, ur uniform should be fine!)

Ok, thank you so much :smile:
Ok, thank you so much :smile:

no problem! i hope it helped - im happy to answer anymore qs if u have any!

Really? In that case, what’s the food like in laet? How much does it cost, what kind if food do they serve, is it hot food or cold food, does everyone have a space to sit and how’s the seating area? A lot of questions about food, sorry haha…
so we have break and lunch where the canteen serves food. the break food is actually decent, they serve baguettes, chicken pops and that sort. as for hot food lunch it depends on the day - sometimes its good othertimes not so much, but the chefs send out a weekly menu. if you dont like the meal, theres always a cold food option - fridge of sandwiches to choose from. for sides they also have soup, muffins, crisps, chocolates, drinks and slush.

we have 3 houses one of which ur allocated with when you start school. each week an individual house can leave at lunch to get food but hot food cannot be brought back. also its in tottenham so theres not many places to go apart from the nearby sainsburys so people tend to stay in school

the schools 2 floors (not so big) and the canteen and terrace is only used for social space. tbh we dont have alot of social space im imagining esp in the winter when no one will go out to the terrace, but theres a load of study space all around the school.

hope this helped! anything else?
so we have break and lunch where the canteen serves food. the break food is actually decent, they serve baguettes, chicken pops and that sort. as for hot food lunch it depends on the day - sometimes its good othertimes not so much, but the chefs send out a weekly menu. if you dont like the meal, theres always a cold food option - fridge of sandwiches to choose from. for sides they also have soup, muffins, crisps, chocolates, drinks and slush.

we have 3 houses one of which ur allocated with when you start school. each week an individual house can leave at lunch to get food but hot food cannot be brought back. also its in tottenham so theres not many places to go apart from the nearby sainsburys so people tend to stay in school

the schools 2 floors (not so big) and the canteen and terrace is only used for social space. tbh we dont have alot of social space im imagining esp in the winter when no one will go out to the terrace, but theres a load of study space all around the school.

hope this helped! anything else?

Wow, thank you so much for these in-depth replies, I am very grateful! :biggrin: I was also wondering the cost of the food served at LAET. Is it cheap or expensive? Also, this might be an odd question but is there a special note-taking system of some sort in LAET or is it just how anyone wants with the usual notebooks? I'm quite curious whether the work at LAET is mostly from textbooks too because I don't really like using textbooks :frown: Also are there often lots of worksheets or are questions/answers done straight onto paper?
no problem happy to help! so it depends, the main hot meal is £2.50, the break time food ranges from £1-£1.50. if you quality for free school meals everything including all the sides it for free.

for note-taking everyone takes notes in their own style but the teachers do termly folder checks so u need all your notes in a folder, along with worksheets they give you. tbh we have rarrrelyyyy used the textbook (i do bio chem psychology and took politics at one point), the teachers teach the content from powerpoints or in their own style. the textbooks usually just like for personal use if u need to make notes coz u didnt listen in class or smthng. for the answers and worksheets it depends on the subjects you want to pick - which ones are you considering?

also idk if you know but we have an open day at the end of this month, you should come along!
no problem happy to help! so it depends, the main hot meal is £2.50, the break time food ranges from £1-£1.50. if you quality for free school meals everything including all the sides it for free.

for note-taking everyone takes notes in their own style but the teachers do termly folder checks so u need all your notes in a folder, along with worksheets they give you. tbh we have rarrrelyyyy used the textbook (i do bio chem psychology and took politics at one point), the teachers teach the content from powerpoints or in their own style. the textbooks usually just like for personal use if u need to make notes coz u didnt listen in class or smthng. for the answers and worksheets it depends on the subjects you want to pick - which ones are you considering?

also idk if you know but we have an open day at the end of this month, you should come along!

I’m going to do maths, further maths, computer science and physics :biggrin: I know it’ll be hard but they’re subjects I love (maybe not so much physics) so I believe I’ll be able to get through it!
I will also most definitely be attending the taster day this month :smile:
I’m glad to hear the food is affordable and the work is not done by textbooks.
However, on the part where you said to bring all your notes, I was considering organising my notes in a way where there is a day binder and a binder at home for each subject where I’d empty all the sheets into there at the end of the week. Because of this, I am wondering if the date of these note checks are revealed beforehand?
Thanks again :biggrin:
(edited 2 years ago)
oo nice subjects, im sure u'll be able to do it, there are quite a few people at LAET doing the same subjects as yourself
that should be fine, half the students choose to organise there notes into day and main too, and yep they give you a date from before hand, eg. your folders will be checked next week bring them in.

no problem at all happy to help!
Reply 13

Hi, I’m conflicted between LAEt and Dame Alice Owens, especially since the extended lockdown meant the DAOS induction day has moved to being virtual now.

Anyways, I wanted to know more about LAEt in terms of how many teachers do you have per subject, how big are the class sizes, what are the students like, what kind of extracurriculars do they offer and just if it is actually as good as they make it out to be. (Please be honest)

I plan on studying Spanish, Maths, History and Psychology as a fourth. Thanks!!
Original post by Ranaiii
Hi, I’m conflicted between LAEt and Dame Alice Owens, especially since the extended lockdown meant the DAOS induction day has moved to being virtual now.

Anyways, I wanted to know more about LAEt in terms of how many teachers do you have per subject, how big are the class sizes, what are the students like, what kind of extracurriculars do they offer and just if it is actually as good as they make it out to be. (Please be honest)

I plan on studying Spanish, Maths, History and Psychology as a fourth. Thanks!!

Heyyyy, ofc happy to help ill answer to the best of my knowledge!

so i do psychology as one of my subjects - theres 3 teachers of psychology including the head of psychology, and in your first year you have 2 teachers, each teaching you a different part of the course. the psy teachers are actually really really good, and their teaching style really appeals to the students as a whole.

for spanish i have no idea how many teachers you have; for maths and history im pretty sure its the same as psychology - you have 2 teachers per subject.

the class sizes are decent, so my psy class is around 19 students, bio 20, chemistry 20

the student environments pretty good, so in class u wouldnt have troublemakers or that sort.

extracurricular ngl declined coz of covid, we didnt get to do sports but its being reintroduced next week so that should be good, we have clubs after school too but there not amazingly fun coz of covid again but u guys should be fine

i think overall the school pretty good it has alot of support and opportunities like experience and work related. they also have subject specific mentors where you recieve one to one lessons if your behind in a subject etc.

hope that helps!
Heyyyy, ofc happy to help ill answer to the best of my knowledge!

so i do psychology as one of my subjects - theres 3 teachers of psychology including the head of psychology, and in your first year you have 2 teachers, each teaching you a different part of the course. the psy teachers are actually really really good, and their teaching style really appeals to the students as a whole.

for spanish i have no idea how many teachers you have; for maths and history im pretty sure its the same as psychology - you have 2 teachers per subject.

the class sizes are decent, so my psy class is around 19 students, bio 20, chemistry 20

the student environments pretty good, so in class u wouldnt have troublemakers or that sort.

extracurricular ngl declined coz of covid, we didnt get to do sports but its being reintroduced next week so that should be good, we have clubs after school too but there not amazingly fun coz of covid again but u guys should be fine

i think overall the school pretty good it has alot of support and opportunities like experience and work related. they also have subject specific mentors where you recieve one to one lessons if your behind in a subject etc.

hope that helps!

Hello again! You mentioned there are two teachers per subject. Does that mean I’d have to have a separate section of notes for each teacher meaning if I do use the day and home binder note system that I’d need a binder or section for each teacher instead of each subject?
Hello again! You mentioned there are two teachers per subject. Does that mean I’d have to have a separate section of notes for each teacher meaning if I do use the day and home binder note system that I’d need a binder or section for each teacher instead of each subject?

heyyyy,
yeppp they usually have one teacher for each paper, so for example if physics is 2 papers, one teacher will teach you the content for p1 the other for p2. so theyll be separate topics and should have separate sections in your folder!
heyyyy,
yeppp they usually have one teacher for each paper, so for example if physics is 2 papers, one teacher will teach you the content for p1 the other for p2. so theyll be separate topics and should have separate sections in your folder!

Really? One teacher per paper? That would mean I’d have 3 teachers for maths, 4 teachers for further maths, 2 for computing and 2 for physics meaning 11 teachers in total! Wow, no idea how I’ll be able to organise all those notes… you sure?
Really? One teacher per paper? That would mean I’d have 3 teachers for maths, 4 teachers for further maths, 2 for computing and 2 for physics meaning 11 teachers in total! Wow, no idea how I’ll be able to organise all those notes… you sure?

oh no for maths its different (i dont take maths so), you also have 2 teachers as far as i know but when you do furthermaths, you complete both yr1 and yr2 maths in yr 1, or somthing along those lines (honestly cant give u a definite answer for maths - apologies - but you do only have 2 teachers per subject!)
Original post by medic_papatya

hope this helped!

Heyy, I have a few questions about LAET and would appreciate if you could answer them :smile:

1) Do you geniunely like the school? I've heard it's pretty strict and students have less independence
2) Are the teachers supportive, for example if you're behind in a subject would they help you catch up or explain things you don't understand?
3) Are phones allowed, like in frees or lunch/break
4) I heard you only get 2 frees when you do 4 subjects, how many frees would you get once you drop to 3?
5) It is overwhelming because of the pressure on you to do well?
6) How's the school community like (teachers/students)?
7) Could you change a subject in the first few weeks if you really don't enjoy it?
8) Do you recommend it?

So sorry if it's a bit much, I'm having a few doubts if I really want to go, so hopefully this helps!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending