The Student Room Group

Unsure of third subject

Hi, so I want to take a level English (language and literature) and history but I do not know what I should take as a third subject because I have no career (or field) in mind. I already know that I'm not picking maths.

I would appreciate some suggestions that would work well with my other two subjects or that are broad.

Thanks!
Reply 1
Two very respectable heavy subjects. Is there something lighter than might interest you? Business studies/ photography etc? People seem to enjoy Geography. Languages would fit well with your options if thats a strength.
Reply 2
Original post by ajj2000
Two very respectable heavy subjects. Is there something lighter than might interest you? Business studies/ photography etc? People seem to enjoy Geography. Languages would fit well with your options if thats a strength.

Business did interest me (I'm not sure if it's the same as business studies -- the name is just business a level at my college), but I was scared of choosing it because it's regarded as a 'soft subject'. Geography also interested me but I'm not sure what I would do with it. Sadly languages would be a poor choice for me since I did not do French at GCSE and I would be very behind. Thanks for the reply.
Reply 3
Original post by squibbbbb
Hi, so I want to take a level English (language and literature) and history but I do not know what I should take as a third subject because I have no career (or field) in mind. I already know that I'm not picking maths.

I would appreciate some suggestions that would work well with my other two subjects or that are broad.

Thanks!

what about politics since a lot of people at my school take that too or law?
Reply 4
Business did interest me (I'm not sure if it's the same as business studies -- the name is just business a level at my college), but I was scared of choosing it because it's regarded as a 'soft subject'. Geography also interested me but I'm not sure what I would do with it. Sadly languages would be a poor choice for me since I did not do French at GCSE and I would be very behind. Thanks for the reply.

Yes - business studies. If you are looking the academic route I'd stick to A levels. I wouldn't worry too much about what you can do with specific A levels unless there are paths you may look to go down in the future which require specific subjects. Business is no better or worse for employability than geography. What might you want to do in the future? Any ideas for university courses?
Reply 5
Original post by ajj2000
Yes - business studies. If you are looking the academic route I'd stick to A levels. I wouldn't worry too much about what you can do with specific A levels unless there are paths you may look to go down in the future which require specific subjects. Business is no better or worse for employability than geography. What might you want to do in the future? Any ideas for university courses?

No clue, my main concern at the moment is trying to keep my options open. I do, however, want to go to university and I am considering doing something business related as a career but I don't want to make my a levels specific to business as I have been changing my mind a lot recently with basically everything.
Reply 6
No clue, my main concern at the moment is trying to keep my options open. I do, however, want to go to university and I am considering doing something business related as a career but I don't want to make my a levels specific to business as I have been changing my mind a lot recently with basically everything.

Perhaps something which includes use of numerial data? I see you have ruled out maths - so something like psychology, geography, biology or economics would add a little extra to your other subjects.
i’d suggest psychology. history and english are very artsy based subjects with a lot of essay writing. you’ll be able to use knowledge of psychology in both of those subjects, while also using essay writing skills in psych too. also, psychology is more scientific so that widens up career paths.
Reply 8
A social science like politics or sociology would go well, or religious studies, philosophy or classical civilisation would make a good set of subjects suitable for a wide range of courses at uni

Quick Reply

Latest