The Student Room Group

Failed first year a level exams

I haven’t really done any revision throughout this year as I got A’s and A*’s at GCSE without any revision so I assumed I would be fine. I have just got my results back for the end of year 12 exams and I got an E, E and C. If I really try to revise and catch up over the summer and next year would I be able to get my target grades of AAA/ABB. Also will these results affect my uni applications if I am planning to defer until 2023? Any advice is welcome. Thanks :smile:
Equally if you want hard on catching up during summer and then ask your teachers to test you when you get back to show that those tests were a fluke bad result they will adjust your target grades to help you secure a uni place that you can defer
Equally you can apply to uni after you have your results or go through adjustment when you have firm results if you aren't happy with your predicted grades
I was an a/a* student in gcses and my first test in sixth form I got a U and I was ridiculously upset and gcses kind of lull you into a false sense of security but it's not impossible to catch up and if you are pretty natural at academics you should be able to and I hope this encourages you!
Equally if you didn't revise at gcse you have to work at not just your subject content but learning how to revise becuase you will also be behind on that.
As long as you put in the work you will have no issues! There are no short cuts but the earlier you start the better it will be
I hope this helps!
I got CCD in a levels but now have a master's in a top uni in chemical engineering
Reply 3
If u didn’t put any revision in, are you surprised you didn’t achieve highly?
sorry to hear that, but what subjects do you take?

Original post by hollyrob123
I haven’t really done any revision throughout this year as I got A’s and A*’s at GCSE without any revision so I assumed I would be fine. I have just got my results back for the end of year 12 exams and I got an E, E and C. If I really try to revise and catch up over the summer and next year would I be able to get my target grades of AAA/ABB. Also will these results affect my uni applications if I am planning to defer until 2023? Any advice is welcome. Thank
WHAT subjects do you take ?
Original post by Roasted Potato
Equally if you want hard on catching up during summer and then ask your teachers to test you when you get back to show that those tests were a fluke bad result they will adjust your target grades to help you secure a uni place that you can defer
Equally you can apply to uni after you have your results or go through adjustment when you have firm results if you aren't happy with your predicted grades
I was an a/a* student in gcses and my first test in sixth form I got a U and I was ridiculously upset and gcses kind of lull you into a false sense of security but it's not impossible to catch up and if you are pretty natural at academics you should be able to and I hope this encourages you!
Equally if you didn't revise at gcse you have to work at not just your subject content but learning how to revise becuase you will also be behind on that.
As long as you put in the work you will have no issues! There are no short cuts but the earlier you start the better it will be
I hope this helps!

Yeah, I am willing to work super hard on revision techniques over summer to see what works for me in time for september. I do think i’m going to resit the exams in september just so that I have better target grades and so that my new teachers don’t think i’m stupid haha. Thanks for your advice on uni applications too it’s made me feel like not all hope is lost lol !! :smile:)
Original post by shanzzzzzz
WHAT subjects do you take ?

Biology, sociology and psychology :smile:
Original post by Proxenus
I got CCD in a levels but now have a master's in a top uni in chemical engineering

Well done that’s super awesome !!
Original post by skent6
If u didn’t put any revision in, are you surprised you didn’t achieve highly?

I’m not super surprised but I guess I was just going off of the fact that I used to do well with no revision but I have now realised that a levels are so much harder and that no revision just isn’t an option anymore :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest