The Student Room Group
School of Oriental and African Studies
London

Dangerous dog around SOAS

There are two guys (from the same family o guess) who own a large Rottweiler. This dog is pretty dangerous and aggressive as I was nearly attacked by this dog last year. I was crossing Senate House when the owner asked me of o have a dog with me and I replied no. As I was crossing the building, the dog stared and growled then lunged at me.
I ran and luckily I was wearing thick jeans and had my backpack which the dog tried to grab but couldn't as I ran and the owner started shooting. The dog eventually stopped chasing and I saw the owner shouting at him.

Now, I'm seeing this same guy with that dog again around Senate House and SOAS. Sometimes they put a mesh on its jaws but today he was talking the dog through SOAS and there were quite a few people around.

This dog is pretty dangerous and aggressive. And the owner seems like the one at fault as the guys look a bit aggressive and weird..

What do I do in this case?
Reply 1
Original post by Anonymous
There are two guys (from the same family o guess) who own a large Rottweiler. This dog is pretty dangerous and aggressive as I was nearly attacked by this dog last year. I was crossing Senate House when the owner asked me of o have a dog with me and I replied no. As I was crossing the building, the dog stared and growled then lunged at me.
I ran and luckily I was wearing thick jeans and had my backpack which the dog tried to grab but couldn't as I ran and the owner started shooting. The dog eventually stopped chasing and I saw the owner shouting at him.

Now, I'm seeing this same guy with that dog again around Senate House and SOAS. Sometimes they put a mesh on its jaws but today he was talking the dog through SOAS and there were quite a few people around.

This dog is pretty dangerous and aggressive. And the owner seems like the one at fault as the guys look a bit aggressive and weird..

Sorry for the typos
School of Oriental and African Studies
London
you should carry one of these:

dogspre.png
That's madd
Reply 4

What brings you to the Senate House/SOAS area?
Reply 5
Original post by Kerzen
What brings you to the Senate House/SOAS area?

I go to SOAS
Reply 6
Original post by Justaboutalive
That's madd

OK and ?
Are you currently in danger?
You should call the police.
Reply 8
Original post by glassalice
Are you currently in danger?
You should call the police.

Not in danger but I'm.scared that the dog will attack someone. It's clearly unsocial and not raised properly , and it's owners are at fault but still Rottweilers are pretty dangerous if they get aggressive. Considering this dog almost bite me last year, I'm scared to see it frequent the area so much
Reply 9
I go to SOAS

I don't know whether SOAS has its own security staff but I'm pretty sure that there are Security Staff in Senate House.

If you are near Senate House tomorrow or Monday, go in through the main entrance and turn right (with your back to Malet St) and go through the doors into the ground floor of the wing where the library is.

There is a big reception desk just there - ask them where the security staff are. They may be in a position to come outside and see exactly what is going on. It may be that they will need to speak to their equivalents at SOAS.
Reply 10
I go to SOAS

Why do you think that the guys with the dog are in the Senate House/SOAS area?

Most people walking past Senate House or SOAS are on their way to one of the buildings clustered around the square or possibly cutting through to get from Malet St to Russell Square.

I don't understand why someone would be there with such a big dog.

Ultimately, I think that the space around SH and SOAS belongs to the University itself and that London University can stop people causing some kind of nuisance from coming back onto the grounds.
Why do you care so much? None of your business let the dog and his owner be.
Original post by Kerzen
Why do you think that the guys with the dog are in the Senate House/SOAS area?

Most people walking past Senate House or SOAS are on their way to one of the buildings clustered around the square or possibly cutting through to get from Malet St to Russell Square.

I don't understand why someone would be there with such a big dog.

Ultimately, I think that the space around SH and SOAS belongs to the University itself and that London University can stop people causing some kind of nuisance from coming back onto the grounds.

Because he asked last year if I have a dog. Clearly means his dog is aggressive towards other pets and can potentially harm them hence he doesn't take the dog to the park as there are lots of small and big dogs there
You've got a fright and are now mentally overinvested in this dog? Or is there something else to it?
Reply 14
Because he asked last year if I have a dog. Clearly means his dog is aggressive towards other pets and can potentially harm them hence he doesn't take the dog to the park as there are lots of small and big dogs there

But why is he hanging around the Senate House/SOAS pathway with a big dog, that's what I'm asking? The layout of this area means that most people you see are either Birkbeck or SOAS students, staff from Senate House or students going up to SH Library. Why would someone be hanging around there with a big dog on a regular basis?
Original post by Kerzen
But why is he hanging around the Senate House/SOAS pathway with a big dog, that's what I'm asking? The layout of this area means that most people you see are either Birkbeck or SOAS students, staff from Senate House or students going up to SH Library. Why would someone be hanging around there with a big dog on a regular basis?

That's what I said. Maybe cos he can't take the dog anywhere else??

Raise the matter with Campus Security.

Couldn't find a direct number for them, here's general info for Estates whcih they fall under.

https://www.soas.ac.uk/estates/
Reply 17
Original post by Admit-One
Raise the matter with Campus Security.

Couldn't find a direct number for them, here's general info for Estates whcih they fall under.

https://www.soas.ac.uk/estates/

Good spot, AO.

It's such a small area near SOAS, like a bottleneck before you come out onto Russell Square; if there were a large dog running around, you would see it as soon as you came out of the SOAS building.

Hopefully SOAS security staff will get on to this pronto.
Original post by Kerzen
Good spot, AO.

It's such a small area near SOAS, like a bottleneck before you come out onto Russell Square; if there were a large dog running around, you would see it as soon as you came out of the SOAS building.

Hopefully SOAS security staff will get on to this pronto.

I'm not familiar with the SOAS campus but often unis will have a security centre watching exterior spaces. They can keep an eye out for repeat offenders, even if there's not much to be done about the previous incident, (likely deleted if it was last year).
Reply 19
Original post by Admit-One
I'm not familiar with the SOAS campus but often unis will have a security centre watching exterior spaces. They can keep an eye out for repeat offenders, even if there's not much to be done about the previous incident, (likely deleted if it was last year).

There's likely to be a central security centre in Senate House.

SOAS is in a slightly strange situation, as it is one of the buildings in the University of London enclave which lies roughly halfway between Euston and the British Museum. It's a kind of multi institution 'campus' with security staff in each building and an elongated 'square' in the middle, running parallel to Malet Street.

If you go through the Malet Street entrance, Senate House is on your right, Birkbeck is on your left, you cut across the bottom of the 'square' and then it kind of bottlenecks right in front of the SOAS building.

I can only imagine that there are 'floating' security guards who don't cover the buildings but do cover the square and other public areas. I've not noticed them but I'm generally scurrying towards the bus with a bag of books and probably miss a lot!

I'm a bit surprised by this dog story, as I would have thought that security would have stepped in by now.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending