The Student Room Group

What did you compromise as part of your job?

For me if one thing is out of line then I can't accept the job. For example, location being the biggest factor (distance), male dominated, office dogs, how the location is (are there shops nearby? Are there people walking or is it a quiet area?) and dangerous areas with high crime rates
(edited 11 months ago)
Original post by Anony345533
For me if one thing is out of line then I can't accept the job. For example, location being the biggest factor (distance), male dominated, office dogs, how the location is (are there shops nearby? Are there people walking or is it a quiet area?) and dangerous areas with high crime rates

There is no such thing as a perfect job. There will always be something to quibble about.

You must be in a fortunate position financially to have the luxury of turning down jobs based on (for example) whether there's an office dog or not. Are you allergic to dogs?
Reply 2
Original post by DataVenia
There is no such thing as a perfect job. There will always be something to quibble about.

You must be in a fortunate position financially to have the luxury of turning down jobs based on (for example) whether there's an office dog or not. Are you allergic to dogs?

No I am scared of them and I am Muslim and in my religion, dogs are forbidden.

I am actually on benefits (universal credit) and looking for work, but I have limited capability for work and advisors tell me I should be claiming PIP and I have tried but was unsuccessful. Advisors tell me I shouldn't even be working but I am glad I am still asked to look for work because I don't have any friends and people don't like me so I don't have a social life and if I don't work then I have nothing to do. I don't get offered many jobs, was offered 3 so far this year and it's my first paid job since 2021.

There is such a thing as the perfect job. I applied to quite a few, one of them was a 10 minute walk to my house, mix of men and women in a school, another was a 4 minute walk. Another was in a school but location crap but still close and another time it was also a 10 minute walk in a school. They either progress me to interview stage and I don't go to it (because my parents are unavailable and my parents need to come with me to work if it's my first time as I don't go out much and I can't even go to my local shop without issues) or they don't progress my application or I apply too late so I don't even get to the interview stage, I just give my details and everything but they don't call me for interview.

3 offers that I got this year was one in Greenwich which is a dangerous area with crime and full of dogs and next to water (a river) and it's not an open area, it's quiet and people can't see you (stuffy), another offer was in a construction site and male dominated, I was willing to let that go and still go for the job until they changed the location so many times from Aldgate (which is the original site not built) to City Road and City Road is not a convenient location, yes Aldgate and City Road is safe but City Road is too far of a distance and not a good commute for me. The third offer they rejected me because I told them I can't travel to the other side of London (seven sisters) to drop off enrolment papers
Original post by DataVenia

Exactly

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending