The Student Room Group

prerequisites for computer science degree maths

what should one learn before they go do a compsci degree without a level maths.
(edited 2 years ago)
Reply 1
that is problem,you can have a good programming skills i think universities must accept students without math skill.
Reply 2
Original post by cvgk
that is problem,you can have a good programming skills i think universities must accept students without math skill.

pardon?
So it's kind of funny because you should know discrete maths but that's actually optional at A Levels so some people would have done A Level maths without it. The next fundamental area is functions https://revisionmaths.com/advanced-level-maths-revision/pure-maths/algebra/functions and anything to do with vectors for later learning linear algebra.
Tbh all areas get used at some point but they tend to go over the maths from scratch in the first year at universities that would let you in without doing it at A Level.

If you're interesting in anything AI related then there's no skipping any of the content and I would suggest taking statistics as an optimal A Level module.
(edited 2 years ago)
Original post by funkyman10

If the course you're applying to doesn't require A Level maths, then they won't expect you to know it - they will teach you the relevant maths.
Reply 5
Original post by heccyeah
If the course you're applying to doesn't require A Level maths, then they won't expect you to know it - they will teach you the relevant maths.

got it, its mostly geared towards software dev and only maths i believe coming up are databases and data structures.

Original post by PrettymuchGod
So it's kind of funny because you should know discrete maths but that's actually optional at A Levels so some people would have done A Level maths without it. The next fundamental area is functions https://revisionmaths.com/advanced-level-maths-revision/pure-maths/algebra/functions and anything to do with vectors for later learning linear algebra.
Tbh all areas get used at some point but they tend to go over the maths from scratch in the first year at universities that would let you in without doing it at A Level.

If you're interesting in anything AI related then there's no skipping any of the content and I would suggest taking statistics as an optimal A Level module.

yeah hopefully, i decided not to do a foundation and take a placement instead since im sure I can catch up on the maths needed
Original post by funkyman10

I would say that pure mathematics at A-level is a fundamental knowledge required to progress in the course. Mathematics at A-level will help you diving in into a wide range of topics such as number theory and abstract algebra, etc. So I would definitely recommend you, to look into the course structure to prepare yourself for what is coming.
Reply 7
learn algorithm and data structure ,also object orianted programming is useful
Assuming the course you are applying to doesn't require A-level Maths (if it does and you don't have A-level Maths you will probably be automatically rejected), your best bet is to probably revise your GCSE Maths content, because it's likely you will study (at least some of) the content of A-level Maths and Further Maths in your first year. Particularly important will be any topics on algebra, trigonometry, and functions/graphs I expect.

As above vectors, matrices, and linear algebra generally is important. However you'll probably be studying this in the degree, so just make sure you are comfortable with any of the related topics from GCSE (noted above). I don't think GCSE covers vectors but I honestly can't remember (and it's probably changed since I did my GCSE Maths!).
Reply 9
my degree is focusing on software development with some core CS modules so will i need to learn a level maths, can I get away with learning up to grade 7 maths and a bit of AS?
and no, a level maths isn't required

(Original post by @ThiagoBrigido)

I would say that pure mathematics at A-level is a fundamental knowledge required to progress in the course. Mathematics at A-level will help you diving in into a wide range of topics such as number theory and abstract algebra, etc. So I would definitely recommend you, to look into the course structure to prepare yourself for what is coming.
(edited 2 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending