The Student Room Group

A level History vs psychology

Idk which to choose, any advice?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Ghostface6001

What do you want to pursue at university?
Which of these two seems more interesting to you?

I can give you some advice if you answer these questions :smile:
(edited 2 years ago)

Hi

I did A-Level Psychology. Do you have any specific questions about the A-Level? Having a bit of an insight into the subject might help you make a decision. :smile:
Original post by 5hyl33n
Hi

I did A-Level Psychology. Do you have any specific questions about the A-Level? Having a bit of an insight into the subject might help you make a decision. :smile:

Yes, how heavy content is it and is it actually interesting and fun?
Original post by drs.vud.192
What do you want to pursue at university?
Which of these two seems more interesting to you?

I can give you some advice if you answer these questions :smile:

I want to do something health related. Like medicine, and I’m doing bio chem but idk about the third it’s one of them two
I want to do something health related. Like medicine, and I’m doing bio chem but idk about the third it’s one of them two

I would recommend having a look at the syllabus for the two subjects and deciding which looks more interesting. Have a read about what those two subjects are like and come to a conclusion as to which one you would think would be better. Either subject would be fine for medicine (required you take chemistry and biology): psychology would be great as it's a science according to quite a few universities, and history is a strong, traditionally academic subject.
Reply 6

I did a level history - let me know if you have any questions! What sorts of courses are you thinking about doing at uni and do you have any idea which unis you’re planning on applying for?
Yes, how heavy content is it and is it actually interesting and fun?

At first glance, Psychology does look content-heavy, but to be honest, all the subjects have a similar amount of content. The A-Level is split into two parts: content and evaluation. The content usually summarises what the topic is about and any key research done in the area. The evaluation usually supports or criticises the topic and you are expected to reproduce this information through exam-questions. You will get a range of types of questions including 1 markers, 2 markers, 4 markers, 6 markers, 8 markers, 12 markers and 16 markers.

It is definitely interesting and fun if you enjoy learning about genes, early childhood experiences, environment, brain structure and even a bit of biochemistry. There is also a bit of statistics involved in the research methods section.

For more information, you should take a look at the specification and get hold of the A-Level Psychology textbook you will be using. Scan through the content and ask yourself if you see yourself learning it.
I think if you're aiming for health related course at Uni, go for psychology because you are probably going to come across similarities which you would already be familiar with.
For example, when learning about the structure of the brain and the function of different areas or child behaviour and development + some other topics at Uni, the a level psych bunch had a little advantage.
A handful of med schools accept Psychology as an alternative science to one of Biology or Chemistry which if they do that, probably means something for their course (Manchester, Leicester, Keele, Sheffield...)

Psych is an essay heavy A level so you'll have to be confident with writing structured essays and are able to memorise content including facts, names (only those mentioned in the specification), evaluation points and incorporate it into a good essay answer relative to the context in the question.
The content is actually pretty fun too most of the time, depending on what your teacher picks from the list of topics. You get to learn about cool but unethical experiments, the reasons why people commit evil under orders and how we're all most likely one of those who would do so, how people develop preference for relationships, how it's a nightmare to bring up a child lol (This is my experience with AQA)
Original post by Satori Tendō
how it's a nightmare to bring up a child lol (This is my experience with AQA)

I completely agree. I respect my parents a lot more now. :lol:

don't make the same mistake as me and choose history, the workload is IMMENSE.
Original post by rola05
don't make the same mistake as me and choose history, the workload is IMMENSE.

Isn’t every a level like that
Original post by Satori Tendō
I think if you're aiming for health related course at Uni, go for psychology because you are probably going to come across similarities which you would already be familiar with.
For example, when learning about the structure of the brain and the function of different areas or child behaviour and development + some other topics at Uni, the a level psych bunch had a little advantage.
A handful of med schools accept Psychology as an alternative science to one of Biology or Chemistry which if they do that, probably means something for their course (Manchester, Leicester, Keele, Sheffield...)

Psych is an essay heavy A level so you'll have to be confident with writing structured essays and are able to memorise content including facts, names (only those mentioned in the specification), evaluation points and incorporate it into a good essay answer relative to the context in the question.
The content is actually pretty fun too most of the time, depending on what your teacher picks from the list of topics. You get to learn about cool but unethical experiments, the reasons why people commit evil under orders and how we're all most likely one of those who would do so, how people develop preference for relationships, how it's a nightmare to bring up a child lol (This is my experience with AQA)

History is very essay based to no?

I'd do whichever you think you will enjoy the most and get the best grade in.
Original post by Emma:-)
I'd do whichever you think you will enjoy the most and get the best grade in.

I enjoyed gcse history but ngl it gets boring, psych intrigues me as I like learning all about the brain but I’ve heard psych is very time consuming
Isn’t every a level like that

yes but History is known to be one of the hardest A levels due to the content and the way the essays are structured, there is a big jump between GCSE History and A level history.
You've just got to think which you enjoy more and will do best in. Quite honestly I found psychology fairly easy, but I remember GCSE history being extremely content-heavy and stressful. However you might find the opposite.

Do you know what you want to do after A-Levels? That might help.
Original post by rola05
yes but History is known to be one of the hardest A levels due to the content and the way the essays are structured, there is a big jump between GCSE History and A level history.

I’ve seen past papers, aren’t the questions formatted similarly
I did both A Level psychology and history - while both are content heavy, I definitely found psychology to be easier to manage. History essays/exams are extremely intense in terms of writing in-depth essays in very short spaces of time, whereas psychology is shorter questions with easier to revise topics in my opinion. I'd say pick the one you think you'll enjoy the most as both are difficult but if you like the topic then it's not so bad
I’ve seen past papers, aren’t the questions formatted similarly

yes, but the way you answer is different. GCSE asks you to memorise and structure it in an essay. Whereas History depends on the student to formulate an argument and find a counter argument that can be backed up with evidence. It forces you to think critically and being able to read between the lines. At the start of AS history I was achieving D's because GCSE history was based on memorisation and I wasn't taught to think critically, also A level history is taught in a way that forces you to be independent. It took me a year and I am achieving A's rn. AND I STILL HAVE LOTS TO IMPROVE ON.
(edited 2 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest