The Student Room Group

Does your school only do 7 GCSEs ?

Mine did and it’s a very good school, idk why I’m pissed tho becus I want like 10 GCSEs A/A*
My school did I media pe and graphics vocational but don’t think that counts as a gcse
(edited 2 years ago)
At my school it's a music school; musicians do 7 subjects while non-musicians do 10, it's so musicians can have sufficient time to practise.
i did 9 or 10 i think- doesn't really matter the amount you have, better to have a smaller set of gcses that are of higher quality but gcses matter little in the long run anyway, as long as you pass maths and english.
Many colleges / sixth forms only require a minimum of 5 GCSEs including Maths and English.
Even the odd few that want more will still be fine with 7. I've never heard of any wanting more than that, so it really isn't necessary to stress about not having 10.

If you really desperately want more for whatever reason, you can always do them later. I took GCSE Italian when I was 19 just for the hell of it.
(edited 2 years ago)
Original post by PinkMobilePhone
Many colleges / sixth forms only require a minimum of 5 GCSEs including Maths and English.
Even the odd few that want more will still be fine with 7. I've never heard of any wanting more than that, so it really isn't necessary to stress about not having 10.

If you really desperately want more for whatever reason, you can always do them later. I took GCSE Italian when I was 19 just for the hell of it.

Most grammar sixty forms require 8 8s in my city
I ended up with 10 1/2 GCSEs.
But that was because science was a double award and worth 2 GCSEs. And ICT was short course, so worth 1/2 a GCSE.
Everybody in my school did 8 GCSEs. I did triple science, history and business in addition to English and maths
Original post by Ghostface6001
Mine did and it’s a very good school, idk why I’m pissed tho becus I want like 10 GCSEs A/A*
My school did I media pe and graphics vocational but don’t think that counts as a gcse

It depends from person to person at my old school. I came out with 11 GCSEs which was significantly more than the rest of my peers.

We had compulsory English Language and Literature as well as Maths and Science. I took triple science so I had more from that. That already gave me 6 GCSEs.
We had 3 options. So I got another 3, that's 9 so far.
We could either do GCSE RE or PE V-cert. I took RE so I had another one. That's 10.
I'm bilingual so I took additional GCSE in my native language. That brough it to 11.

So I guess an average person at my school (assuming they passed everything) ended up with 8 or 9 GCSEs.
Mine does 12…. There’s quite a big difference
Original post by Ghostface6001
Most grammar sixty forms require 8 8s in my city

Fair enough - I've never looked into grammar schools / sixth forms so I admit I didn't know their requirements.

Quick Reply

Latest