The Student Room Group

Gap year

I'm currently going into year 13 in September so everyone is getting stuff done for their personal statements and UCAS. I've been looking into gap years because I want to have the chance to get some work experience, maybe travel and just take a break from school.
However, I'm a bit confused about how to go about this. I saw that you would have to defer your place for the next year but some unis don't accept this or it may limit your chances of being accepted?
I was just wondering what exactly is deferring, are gap years worth it and why cant i just apply to university next year in 2022 rather than apply in 2021 and defer. Any help would be great :smile: x
If you spend your time well, gap year is definitely worth it. I did learn a lot during my gap year, at least I know how resilient I am, and my real interest.
Reply 2
Original post by winson_0106
If you spend your time well, gap year is definitely worth it. I did learn a lot during my gap year, at least I know how resilient I am, and my real interest.

Thanks :smile: what sort of things did you do during your gap year and when did you start planning what you wanted to do? Also, did you apply after you got your a level grades or did you defer?
Original post by lou88811
Thanks :smile: what sort of things did you do during your gap year and when did you start planning what you wanted to do? Also, did you apply after you got your a level grades or did you defer?

I defer a year between my penultimate and final year, just because of covid. I had no plan at first because it's too sudden, I tried my best to figure all the opportunities out.

Quick Reply

Latest