The Student Room Group

Forwardness, specifically at work, but in general too I guess

Am curious as to how forward you lot are around a) your coworkers/clients b) general people you interact with. Longtime/best mates and/or family not included as that's different (in my opinion).

On a % scale how much are you your true self when it comes to your behaviour and/or actions around other people?

Myself I always hold the belief that people should get called out if, say, I think they're chatting ****, or a stating things I personally disagree with, particularly at work, but most of the time I hold back.

Honestly feel like everyone is just too sensitive these days. Maybe I'm generalising but have seen firsthand how defensive people get when, say, refusing to accept other ideas that may well be better than theirs, or just plain not admitting that their decisions could well be potentially "wrong". It's practically denial.

Anyone else subconsciously very careful about their actions around other people, particularly at work though also socially.. almost like every action or decision or even word you mutter is a move in a chess whereby a microscopic mis-calculation could have potential dare I say disproportionate consequences sometime down the road?
Reply 1
I'm better at biting my tongue than I used to be, but in general I do tend to say what I think without too much regard for the consequences
Original post by gjd800
I'm better at biting my tongue than I used to be, but in general I do tend to say what I think without too much regard for the consequences

Interesting, what do you do?
Reply 3
Original post by TheFarmerLad
Interesting, what do you do?

These days I teach, but prior to that I was a concreter and worked a dockside chemical yard
Original post by gjd800
These days I teach, but prior to that I was a concreter and worked a dockside chemical yard

Do you take disagreements well?
I'm much more reserved in the workplace. I work in schools.
Reply 6
Its a difficult one because generally I love to joke around and be the clown. I interned at a corporate firm and whilst most of people at the firm/in my team enjoyed being around with me, I did have a few complaints that I wasn't serious enough, so I guess its more understanding the vibe of the person as opposed to just having a one fit all approach.

Ideally you want to be you wherever you are but adapt it depending on the person, not the setting.
Original post by tierny3
Its a difficult one because generally I love to joke around and be the clown. I interned at a corporate firm and whilst most of people at the firm/in my team enjoyed being around with me, I did have a few complaints that I wasn't serious enough, so I guess its more understanding the vibe of the person as opposed to just having a one fit all approach.

Ideally you want to be you wherever you are but adapt it depending on the person, not the setting.

As an intern did you ever call out your colleague(s) or line manager/someone senior, either socially or during work?
Reply 8
As an intern did you ever call out your colleague(s) or line manager/someone senior, either socially or during work?

no way, i have enough EQ to not do that. i understand theres a hierarchy and i take feedback on the chin
Original post by tierny3
no way, i have enough EQ to not do that. i understand theres a hierarchy and i take feedback on the chin

see I totally get that but this is one of the main parts of the problem
see I totally get that but this is one of the main parts of the problem

wdym? you lack Emotional Intelligence?
and btw if someone did something to me socially ie take the piss, then i would call them out for sure, idc who they are.

when i say hierarchy i mean they deserve respect because they've done the hours to earn their badges
Original post by tierny3
and btw if someone did something to me socially ie take the piss, then i would call them out for sure, idc who they are.

when i say hierarchy i mean they deserve respect because they've done the hours to earn their badges

Position alone they deserve more respect than someone more junior. But I think that the prospect of disputing or even challenging someone's views and/or actions in a constructive manner should be deemed more acceptable than what I believe it currently is, regardless of the hierarchy.
Reply 13
Do you take disagreements well?

Yeah, broadly speaking. I can jump the gun sometimes but I am always willing to apologise when I am wrong and I am open to being told I am wrong

Quick Reply

Latest