The Student Room Group

Which Cambridge college? Selwyn, Johns, Clare or Downing?

I visited Cambridge recently and the latter three colleges really stuck out to me. Welwyn just looks beautiful from the pictures too. I’d probably be very happy at any, but nonetheless I have to pick one. I’m applying for medicine if that makes any difference.

So based on accommodation, location, grounds, food, sports, extracurriculars, reputations or literally anything else, convince me of one of these colleges.

Thanks
(edited 2 years ago)
Original post by pepsiu
I visited Cambridge recently and these three colleges really stuck out to me. I’d probably be very happy at any, but nonetheless I have to pick one. I’m applying for medicine if that makes any difference.

So based on accommodation, location, grounds, food, sports, extracurriculars, reputations or literally anything else, convince me of one of these colleges.

Thanks

What do you mean 'convince [you] of one of these colleges'? You need to choose one - no-one needs to 'convince' you of anything.

If you visited Cambridge recently, then all the colleges are still closed to visitors, 'because Covid'. So how did these three colleges 'stick out' to you?
Reply 2
Original post by Reality Check
What do you mean 'convince [you] of one of these colleges'? You need to choose one - no-one needs to 'convince' you of anything.

If you visited Cambridge recently, then all the colleges are still closed to visitors, 'because Covid'. So how did these three colleges 'stick out' to you?

By convince I meant ‘give me your opinion’ sorry if that wasn’t clear.

As for the colleges, not all of them are closed. Johns is allowing you to walk the grounds, but not inside. Downing is the same. At Clare, prospective students are allowed to tour the college if you ask the Porter Brian.

In addition to those, I believe you can tour corpus but there’s a £5 fee, Pembroke was open but we didn’t go because we ran out of time. Idk about kings, I thought it was closed but there were seemed to be a lot of non studenty people around behind the gates so it must have been open. Jesus, Peterhouse, st Catherine’s, gonville and caius were also closed. And that’s all we managed to see.

So of what I could see, those three stuck out, mainly because they’re the ones I saw the most of, but also they were very impressive themselves
(edited 2 years ago)
Reply 3
My offer is for Downing, maybe I can convince you to apply!
I would say Downing arguably has some of, if not the best accommodation in Cambridge. There are quite a high proportion of ensuites, nice kitchens and even double bed rooms. I'm quite personally fond of the architecture too, I think it's very picturesque and unique.
John's, Clare and Downing are all very central, so quite conveniently placed for most things. Selwyn is just out of the main centre but is really conveniently placed if your lectures would be at Sidgwick Site.

John's has a slight stereotype for "poshness", and while it does have a higher private school intake than most colleges not everyone is like this. It also gets memed on a little bit (there is an old chant of, "I'd rather be at Oxford than St John's"). However, I do think it's a really nice college.

All 4 of them are good colleges imo
What one did you pick?
Reply 5
Original post by 2kidscallmedad
What one did you pick?

Johns!

It was actually a very very last minute decision, quite literally. I had decided I didn't want to apply to cambridge for a while. Then yesterday was my UCAS deadline for early applicants for my school, I was writing my personal statement write up until like 11:40, then I made 3 of my choices based on my UCAT score and I decided to just give it a go with Cambridge. Completely forgot about college until I saw the box to select one and I just went for John's on a whim. It is really beautiful and stuck in my mind the most from my visit so that's probably behind it. They're all good colleges though and I'd be happy to be pooled to any!
Original post by pepsiu
Johns!

It was actually a very very last minute decision, quite literally. I had decided I didn't want to apply to cambridge for a while. Then yesterday was my UCAS deadline for early applicants for my school, I was writing my personal statement write up until like 11:40, then I made 3 of my choices based on my UCAT score and I decided to just give it a go with Cambridge. Completely forgot about college until I saw the box to select one and I just went for John's on a whim. It is really beautiful and stuck in my mind the most from my visit so that's probably behind it. They're all good colleges though and I'd be happy to be pooled to any!

Well best of luck.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending